Author Topic: Dr Doolittle wasn't the first to have one of these...  (Read 3248 times)

Pen-Pusher

Dr Doolittle wasn't the first to have one of these...
« on: October 19, 2015, 05:18:33 PM »
Only 36 completed. Maybe more would have been if the designers could've made up their minds which direction was best suited? A unique configuration it must be said... but what is Pen Pusher's latest project?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Dr Doolittle wasn't the first to have one of these...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 10:26:03 AM »
Hi Pen-Pusher,

Could it be a Focke Wulfstang??
A variant of the FW-190 with a whopping turbo supercharger underneath?

The 'pipe' looks like the exhaust for this, though I concede it might be a 'RATO' pack, or a similar german designed exhaust pipe, especially those use on nightfighters???

Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 04:57:57 PM »
Nowhere near Big Kev!!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 07:03:22 PM »
Hi Pen-Pusher,
Oh well, at least I know I'm barking up the wrong tree.................................again!

I'll think again..........

Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 07:05:56 PM »
Hi Pen-Pusher,
Me again.............
What about a Dornier D0-335, you know tandem engines Push and Pull....................
Bigkev

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 07:39:45 PM »
The prize Coconut is in the post! Well spotted!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 09:24:22 AM »
Stage 2: - was deciding what configuration to build? First, I find the aerial array for the 'night-fighter' as originally envisaged by Frog's (Later Novo/Revell/Matchbox) release is only one of several so I have plumped for the simplified version and only configuration that 'may' have been used either for training or a couple of times operationally? A wing light had to be added to the leading edge to replace the solid one in the kit and the 'slab-undercarriage replaced with proper struts etc. (Thanks to bit's box again!!) I still have to drill out the air intakes on each side but did manage to thin down that main intake under the fuselage. All in all, I'm quite happy with the results so far? These old kits have their faults, they are basic (don't get me started on detailed kits again!!) but they are fun to build and the challenge is to capitalize on the innovations they presented at the time. Here's a question though. Why did the toolmakers decide to enable moveable wheels on the main u/c and then mould the nose wheel in one piece? Lack of joined-up thinking I guess. More soon......

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 10:33:05 AM »
You know, for a moulding that nigh-on 40 years old (Frog), it still makes up to an interesting model none-the-less! Despite the modeller's poor skills, it will somehow represent the only two-seat that actually flew in night fighter operations (twice I am told?) with the simplified 'Onkle' radar array. Well, tonight some attention to cockpits, props and aerial - then the dreaded weathering - Aaaaaah!

(Apologies to you perfectionists - two of the 'blotches' on the port wing are the wrong shape tut tut!)

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 11:12:43 AM »
My friend popped round the other evening and queried the scale of this monster - thinking it too big to be 1/72. It's only when you see people 'underneath' you realise just how big it was! Question - is that a bomb bay they're looking at? Answer - it sure is!

Kiteman

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 03:51:49 PM »
Wowza Pen Pusher, a very nice looking model is that, can`t wait to see it finished.

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 01:43:38 PM »
Crikey, that is a big monster!  Although I like the odd looking German stuff, I never could decided whether or not the look of the 335 appealed to me or not.  It ain't the push/pull aspect, it's the way it 'sits' which makes me not want to build one for some strange reason.  I really can't put my finger on it, so until I get over this bizarre prejudice, I'll have to make do with looking at yours.  Good work anyhow.  Looking forward to seeing a bit more.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 02:53:11 PM »
I guess I've got to the stage where I have to tackle the cockpits....

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 09:30:36 PM »
Hi Pen-Pusher,

Coming along nicely. I was intrigued and amazed by the photograph of the Do-335 and the size of the beast. I think the photo does show the bomb bay of a Do-335, It seems the front nose wheel leg is in the background, and the height of the fuselage is comparative when compared to the previous one.

Andy W (Councilman), has built the Tamiya 1/48th one, and in a night fighter scheme as yours, it might be worthwhile looking at his one. It too looks very cool.

Bigkev

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 07:53:53 AM »
You know, seeing this thing built as a model rather than photographs of the real thing has changed my mind on it - I'll be looking out for a bargain whenever I can get time to shop again.  As Kev said, it's a real big aircraft - much more than you would think.  I do like how your is coming on too.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 08:16:17 AM »
Hi Wizzel,

As Pen-Pusher says though its a 50yr + kit, it still holds its own in terms of shape. It just needs a little TLC as he has done with his.

Bigkev