Author Topic: Beyond the blue horizon...  (Read 4057 times)

Kiteman

Re: Beyond the blue horizon...
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 03:55:51 PM »
Neat!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 09:32:24 AM »
Posting this to let you see progress so far! X-1E is almost complete - a bit of work still required on cockpit and u/c but that shouldn't take too long. Decaling the X1E was significantly harder than it's stable-mate. The X-1 in the orange finish had very little in that way as far as I can tell from close-up photos. After Mach-1 was attained, '62 was repainted in white as were '63 and '64. After the varied successes of the second generation X planes (X-1B/C/D) it was decided to rebuild the second X-1 ('63) as the X-1E (New fuelling system, wings, u/c and cockpit with ejector seat) which is represented by my humble effort here. Next will be the X-1B (As flown by Neil Armstrong) which is very different followed by the Skyrocket.... but more boring stuff on that later. Thanks for looking. (Both models brush painted with 'multiple' coats of Tamiya acrylic gloss)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 10:15:23 AM »
Lovely aircraft and bot very different in their own ways. Nice to see such a clean finish with brush painting as well.  I still haven't got into the world of airbrushing so it's good to see there's more than me and Tony Wilson who still do things as they used to be done in the olden days.

Kiteman

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 03:35:19 PM »
...and me!

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2015, 07:51:44 AM »
...and me!
You ARE the olden days Kitey!

Haddock

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 09:07:15 AM »
Lovely aircraft and bot very different in their own ways. Nice to see such a clean finish with brush painting as well.  I still haven't got into the world of airbrushing so it's good to see there's more than me and Tony Wilson who still do things as they used to be done in the olden days.
Well at least we don't send little boys up chimneys anymore so we have made some progress.

That's an amazing finish for a brush and Tamiya paint, love to know how you do it.
Haddock.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2015, 10:38:27 AM »
Thanks for those kind comments chaps - but maybe the photo looks better than the real thing? You can judge for yourselves at next meeting? Both a/c required 'many' thin coats of paint - in the case of the white, the first were matt white and then gloss on top! the X-1B next on the production line will be silver (aluminium) so that presents a whole raft of new problems!!

Kiteman

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2015, 04:38:42 PM »
Steady Wizzel, just coz I make my own glue from melted down horses hooves!

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2015, 05:57:25 PM »
Steady Wizzel, just coz I make my own glue from melted down horses hooves!
Melted Woolly Mammoth hooves more like  :P

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2015, 11:58:33 AM »
Finished...

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2015, 12:35:29 PM »
Looking good.
Grumpy by name and nature

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2015, 01:33:38 PM »
You can see here the difference in fuselage design from first generation X-planes (X-1 / X-1E) and the second (X-1A/B/C/D). In 1/72 the X-1 is available from three manufacturers: (1) Tamiya which comes with complete clear fuselage and interior (The solid version is illustrated at top of photo) (2) Hobby Spot, a re-issued Tamiya distinctive by only one fuselage half provided in clear plastic and inferior decals; and (3) Hobby Craft, a nice kit but require deeply inscribed lines to be filled. Curiously the latter two are usually more expensive than the original (and preferred) Tamiya issue.

Special Hobby from Czech-land make several X-planes. The X-1A/B versions are very welcome (The 'B' version again in the photo showing the redesigned and longer fuselage) and all come with alternative markings suited to particular flights or periods in the individual a/c's history. Their decals are second to none in my opinion and adhere well with or without Microsol's assistance. Special Hobby also provide for later X-planes including the Douglas D-588 Skyrocket which is on my 'wants list' now. The X-1C/D are interesting from a historical point of view but differed little from the X-1A/B and anyway, were lost to accidents before they could contribute to the programme.

You airbrush experts will have great fun with these but if like me you're still wallowing in the mire of pre-history, I'd suggest using gloss white/orange for brush application. So what are you waiting for....?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 07:20:25 PM by Pen-Pusher »

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2015, 06:48:56 PM »
These are very interesting looking aircraft.  Although my 'thing' is for prop powered, I do have an attraction to the early jets too as I find the look of them is fascinating.  I may have to consider finding one of these.  :)

Kiteman

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2015, 04:03:42 PM »
Go around to pen pushers house there are a couple there!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2015, 11:09:12 AM »
Adding this link for your enjoyment. Some nice detailed shots too...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N646XdTl3w