Author Topic: Something different: ME 323 Gigant  (Read 11331 times)

Kiteman

Something different: ME 323 Gigant
« on: February 11, 2015, 03:51:10 PM »
So here is a kit that I have had for a couple of years and thought it about time to put it together as a change to plastic modelling. When finished this should fly, which it will, but how often we shall have to see. I am not experienced in building Balsa models, I have build a small scale FW 190 and that was ok but it was never intended to fly it. This is summat different, it is big (1.66m Wingspan scale 1:33) and has a few more parts than the FW.
In order to build this aircraft I have had to first build a desk on which to work. This I have managed to fit it nicely in the corner of the modelling room. Then I made a start....it`s all glue and pins with cutting and sanding to get a perfect fit. The wood stock supplied does not comply exactly to the instructions but, as an engineer, there is nothing there that I cannot overcome.
It is a totally different discipline, am so far I am enjoying the challenge but I have a long way to go. I have no idea how long such a build takes and will still be building plastic along the way. I need to reduce my stash and get it under 200 models....running out of space you see.
I hope that this interests you guys although it is not plastic, I shall keep you informed:

[attachment deleted by admin]

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: Something different: ME 323 Gigant
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 03:56:24 PM »
I have built the odd balsa wood plane in the past but never attempted to fly them.
Good luck.
I think adhesives have improved and so it should go ok.
What glues are you using?
Grumpy by name and nature

Kiteman

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 04:24:51 PM »
As recommended by the manufacturer I am using UHU Hart and Ponal woodglue. Both dry transparent and should do the trick. I used the Ponal on the FW and it has never come apart......but then again it hasn`t flown!

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 09:21:33 AM »
Just to clarify, I was with Kiteman when he bought this and not only is it HUGE (as was the real thing) but it is the MOTORISED version, not the glider so when ready for it's maiden flight, it will require the closing of the Autobahn route A2 for take off and landing. 

Kiteman

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 02:09:17 PM »
So far so good, here is the Progress so far:
I reckon that when it is finished I should get it in the air, using the autobahn, before I reach Berlin!!! :o

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 03:46:40 PM »
Of course if things aren't quite right with a FLYING model, it has the potential to cause all sorts of issues that with a plastic model, you can fudge a bit.  Hats off to you for taking on not only a flying model project but one on such a huge scale.  You really do need the accuracy of a real aircraft builder to succeed with something like this.

Kiteman

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 07:08:42 AM »
I`ve got a bit more done on this mammoth beast and I must say that I am enjoying working with wood, tree wood that is ....it`s a nice change. The fuselage has finally come together after solving the problem I had with a "corkscrew twist" along the length that would have put the fin and rudder out by about 5 degrees. The tailplane and fin assemblies are virtually complete. The nose doors are in one piece and the battery box is half way there. I have placed the assemblies on the fuselage for photographic purposes only so that you can see where it is going. The tailplane and fin sit a 90 degrees to each other and the whole rear control surface assembly sits nicely now at right angles to the centre line of the fuselage. The front end of the fuselage has yet to be sanded to allow a perfect fit for the doors and the battery box / anchorpoint for the axles has yet to be finished and inserted into the fuselage.
Comments welcome.

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 10:00:19 AM »
That's a fair old beast of a plane.

Kiteman

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 05:24:36 AM »
a bit more progress on the beast. Up to now things are going together ok, I must keep reminding myself though that this will be a flying model and is not as detailed as a plastic model would be. I keep wanting to modify things and pack more detail in, but that means weight and that, for a flying model, is not good!
See what you think.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 06:11:08 AM »
Hi Kiteman,

That is looking good. It will be a 'beast' of an aeroplane when built. You look to be getting on with it fine, and with some precision too.
Look forward to seeing more of it.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 10:30:33 AM »
It must be real difficult to remember you're building a representation, not a scale imitation.  Them 2 bladed props on aircraft that should have 3 or more have always raised my eyebrows in a cynical fashion but then, once they're spinning fast enough to take my head off, it doesn't matter.  It's looking, well, GIGANTic!

Kiteman

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 10:18:17 AM »
Here is the latest batch of photos for you all to ponder.....

Kiteman

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 10:25:44 AM »
Sorry....here are the piccies.....

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 10:31:52 AM »
Wow! That last photo really shows the size of the beast.
I would not like to be underneath it if(when) it crashes.
Great stuff, I look forward to seeing it fly.

Haddock

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 01:51:42 PM »
bluddy 'ell!!!