Author Topic: Bigkevs WIP No. 7 Polikarpov I-16 type 18 'Rata' 1/48  (Read 29408 times)

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bigkevs WIP No. 7 Polikarpov I-16 type 18 'Rata' 1/48
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2015, 08:02:38 AM »
Hi All,
well the moment of truth arrived, and I am pleased to say it turned out quite well. The Salt mask rubbed off with some Blu Tack to reveal the 'metal' areas quite nicely. A little touch up and dry brushing will be in order to neaten the effect but it worked a treat.
The paint job also went well, with only a little creep under the masking near to the wheel well which can be touched up. The engine front needs a little work with fine paintbrush as does the port wing leading edge demarcation, but nothing too onerous. A few more places will benefit from a little touch up but they are very minor.
As this aircraft depicted is overall green I decided to add some contrast to the colour and make it less monotone. I quickly masked off the metal access panels on the wing, and gave a quick blast of the base colour lightened slightly with Humbrol 78 'Interior Green'. This gave subtle change to these areas and I think more realistic.
Next job to touch up as described, then apply a coat of Kleer to seal everything ready for Decalling and weathering.
So far so good...................
Bigkev

[attachment deleted by admin]

I hope my next is always better

Kiteman

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2015, 11:41:37 AM »
You are absolutely right the subtle colour difference really is effective, and I like it...will be trying that one sometime. Nice work with the salt, a technique that I shall also be using.......It`s going to be another great model from Big Kev!

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2015, 04:36:24 PM »
I think I would like to see the real thing to be convinced about the salt method, difficult to tell from the photos.
keep at it.
Dave
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2015, 08:34:52 PM »
Will not make it to next meeting with 'Rata', but will be ready for Northern Model Show.
You may look and judge for yourself.
Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2015, 07:07:56 AM »
One of those GRRRRRRR! Moments!!

Hi All,
All was going too well wasn't it. I had just put on a coat of 'Kleer' to about 3/4's of the model leaving one wing until first coat had dried. I Then coated that wing, and put aside for that to dry also.
I then dropped the B*****y thing, and in true modelling form broke off the port tailplane, and elevator.

A few choice words like 'Oh dear, the naughty thing would do that' followed.

After a minute or two I chilled out and surveyed the damage. The tailplane and elevator could be re-glued quite easily, but requiring a little touch up with filler and paint job. However a small section of the tip of the tailplane has decided to go into another dimension, snapping off and going who knows where. I don't even have a carpet monster in my modelling room. In addition the paint job on the tailplane underside has flaked off requiring a strip down of the tailplane and a repaint.
I will have to repair the tailplane making up a new tip from plasticard carved and sanded to shape. This has put me back a few days.
Oh, modelling is such fun isn't it!
Bigkev

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2015, 12:32:16 PM »
OOOPS - the joys of modelling strike again.
If something does not go wrong early in the build the chances are it will towards the end.

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2015, 12:59:03 PM »
I think you and Kiteman must have been swapping modelling techniques; he's learnt all about filling and sanding from you in turn he has coached you in clumsiness!  And just think, we'd likely never have known if you hadn't told us!

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2015, 01:58:33 PM »
It always pays to be honest.
Well most of the time.

Kiteman

« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2015, 04:42:05 PM »
Sorry to hear about the damage, but quietly I am glad that it just doesnt only happen to me.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2015, 09:04:08 PM »
I find I have an 'event' of some sort with every model.
The key is working out how to overcome them, some are easy, some seem just downright impossible.
Being a member of a club helps, as there is a good chance someone will have a suggestion/method you have not thought of, or tried.
Tomorrow will see 'operation repair' begin.
Tonight a good nights sleep!
Bigkev

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2015, 08:59:10 AM »
and that's the brilliant bit about our club - as I and Kitey have mentioned many times, we have no secrets from each other and we two have gained so much through the website which has improved our standard and confidence  enormously.  I look forward to learning how you repaired you broken tail.

Kiteman

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2015, 03:31:46 AM »
me too!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2015, 06:37:28 AM »
Operation Repair is underway.......................

What I did first was to attach the tailplane to the fuselage using thick type superglue and activator. Once dry I removed any excess glue with a scalpel and the used fine wet and dry sandpaper to smooth the join. there is only a minute amount of filling to be done, which will be with Mr Surfacer 500. The tailplane tip a little more involved. I made sure the broken edge was made flat by filing it. This is so the plasticard replacement has a good bonding edge.
Whilst I was at it I cleaned up the trailing edge of tailplane and leading edge of elevator removing any dried glue from its previous life. The tailplane paintwork suffered a little but can be easily re-sprayed to match later.
A piece of thick plasticard 30 thou? was butt joined to the tailplane with a mix of tube and liquid cement and allowed 24 hours to dry.
Once dry, it was out with the sanding sticks and a scalpel with new blade to trim to near size ready for final finishing. I test fitted the elevator in place to check I had the curvature right. I needed to add a shim of plasticard to the rear to increase the curvature to match better. This was done with 5 thou card attached with Tamiya liquid glue and is being allowed to dry properly overnight.
A few pics to show:-
Bigkev

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2015, 08:02:58 AM »
Fine work.
A lesson to us all.