Author Topic: Bandai Steam Traction Engine  (Read 8726 times)

bridlufc

Bandai Steam Traction Engine
« on: November 09, 2011, 08:49:52 PM »
Welcome to one of my rare posts.  Several months ago, I was furnished with a Bandai 1/16 Pendle Princess steam traction engine from our genial host at the Railway tavern, namely John Sadler. Unfortunately, there were no instructions with the kit, but I managed to locate them on the modelers friend, Ebay! A couple of weeks ago, I decided to give the kit a go as an aside to my model aircraft building. In between gluing and paint jobs, you know the thing. Unfortunately, it has now got to the point of obsession that the aircraft modelling fits in with this build. I must admit that it is a welcome distraction from the aircraft building, I think it helps put things in perspective swapping subjects and scales now and again. I am building it straight from the box and only painting the parts as indicated by the instructions but, because the age of the kit, I am assuming from the 70s maybe, the transfers leave a lot to be desired. I am building the kit section by section as indicated in the instructions and adding the transfers as they are called for. As I added the transfers to the first start of the build they broke up. Fortunately they were only small and not too noticable. Luckily, I have some Microscale liquid decal film which, after a couple of coats on the transfer sheet,has solved the problem so to speak. The transfers are stil breaking up but I am at least able to adhere them to the model. Any missing bits of transfer will be attributed to battle damage.
More to follow, and photos as well if Mikes' i nstructions are correct.

Regards Tony

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bandai Steam Traction Engine
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 06:41:25 AM »
Hi Tony,

Sounds interesting, will love to see it at the club sometime.

Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 07:41:51 AM »
I built one of these way back when, it was a great kit, I also built the steam roller.
Lets see some photos of the build. Eventually consigned them both to the bin as they gradually fell apart due to abuse etc.
Dave
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 07:43:31 AM by zak »
Grumpy by name and nature

bridlufc

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 09:57:46 PM »
As I progress with the transfers I think, because it is an old kit, there is too much backing film on them. Not being experienced enough to actually cut away as much backing film as necessary before applying the decals,I am relying on Microscales microsol to solve the problem, but it looks like its going to take several coats. By the way, the liquid decal film has strengthened the transfers a little but I am still taking my time with them.

bridlufc

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 08:07:13 PM »
Hi all, after being laid up for a week or so with manflu and other aches and pains, and please no comment from Kev about old age, plus having to nurse Amanda through a fever, as she called it, I have started to get some time in my workshop and more to do with the steam engine. I have completed the front axle, the boiler, the water tank and the dynamo, hopefully I will be able to add a couple of photos to the end of this post. The transfers are still proving to be hard work and I am coming to the conclusion that what will be will be with the transfers.

Regards Tony

[attachment deleted by admin]

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 07:49:22 AM »
 :)
Looking good so far.
Great stuff.
Dave

bridlufc

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 09:08:14 PM »
The instructions are a bit vague, I put all the parts together for the dynamo, being instructed to  paint certain parts, lo and behold when I checked the boxlid certain parts of the dynamo are a nice maroon colour and I have put it all together now. Ho Hum, the trials of modelling, eh?

Kiteman

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 08:49:44 AM »
This Project interests me as I have a secret Passion for all things steam driven. i suppose like my WW1 aircraft, I like older things. What has happened to the traction engine? No posts for a while. :(

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 03:42:17 PM »
Tony (bridlufc) a member of the club.