Author Topic: Travelling by Air with model tools and kits  (Read 2320 times)

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Travelling by Air with model tools and kits
« on: September 23, 2011, 05:10:17 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I am currently working in Norway quite a bit and I have some time on my hands while over there so I would like to get on with a bit of modelling.

I would like to take a few tools over when I fly but I am unsure what I can put in my hold baggage?
(The tools are very expensive over there but I appreciate I will buy glue etc)

Has anyone any experience of taking tools/kits etc on aircraft in the past?

Regards

Mike

seasider

Re: Travelling by Air with model tools and kits
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 09:01:50 AM »
Hi mike got no experience of flying with kits or tools but working at quite a few airports tools etc can be carried in hold baggage but not hand luggage as for carrying  kits I think hold baggage would carry a high risk of getting damaged seeing how they handle the bags behind the scenes
Dave

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 11:39:43 AM »
Hi Mike,

Yes, I agree with Dave.

Kits in Hold Luggage not a good idea unless your thinking of re-kitting them anyway!
I would have them in you hand luggage.

Other tools, paint, knives, glues etc should travel okay in Hold Luggage, but obviously not aerosols. But to be safe why not ask your flight provider or airport for advice on what can and cannot be put into the Hold or Hand Luggage. If you explain exactly what you intend to take I'm sure they will guide you.

Bigkev

I hope my next is always better

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 12:16:45 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thank you for your sensible advice.

I will carry a few modelling tools in my hold luggage and then carry the kit as my hand luggage as you suggest.  I did look at buying a few modelling tools in Norway but it was soo expensive.

The frustrating thing is I could do with my spray gear and modeling light over there but can't really carry them with me.

I have thought about doing a bit of brush painting and I am going to try one of the 1/48 scale tank models and see how I get on.  Its modelling after all.

See you all soon.

Mike

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 12:41:10 PM »
Hi Mike,

'Stick with it' mate. Any modelling is good. I know that if you have spray equipment and use it, to go back to a brush seems retrograde.

But there are those in the club who produce great models without the aid of an airbrush.

Give it a try, you might just surprise yourself!!

1/48 tanks eh?, a change of direction from you, or is it that the situation dictates something more easily to carry around and more manageable?

I await a nicely painted tank Mr. Mike..........

Bigkev

I hope my next is always better