Author Topic: Victor's Defection?  (Read 1415 times)

Pen-Pusher

Victor's Defection?
« on: August 30, 2015, 03:46:37 PM »
Victor Belenko became known worldwide on September 6, 1976, when he successfully defected to the West, flying his MiG-25 "Foxbat" jet fighter to Hakodate, Japan. Colleague/friend of mine from McDonnell Douglas was amongst western aviation experts who inspected the Soviet's latest interceptor so I've always had a close interest in this aircraft. Decided to do one at last and oh - how bad can the fit of a model be (Hasagawa) or has the mould (produced a mere 40 years ago) just got worn I wonder? Anyway, after two days strenuous filling, sanding and swearing (in Celtic obviously), decided to try another diorama and realised half way through the build I'd have to open the brake parachute housing (Photo) - no mean task!! Need some advice however on how to best recreate 'churned-up' grass...? Now - off to check silk worms producing parachute!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kiteman

Re: Victor's Defection?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 05:45:10 PM »
I see what you mean about the fit. Keep plodding on. Re your churned up grass, what material will you be using for the grass and on what base will it be.?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 10:41:42 PM »
Probably use railway flock or some such thing on a plasticard base?

Kiteman

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 03:49:22 PM »
I managed this effect on my model railway (Z Guage Scale 1:240)I don`t think the effect is too bad. Is this what you are after?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 03:56:18 PM »
Looks good. I need to create an end of runway scene with wheel marks etc.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 12:40:09 PM »
Progress: A quick coat of paint hides a multitude... etc., etc. Need to source 1/72 tarpaulin now....?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 10:01:11 AM »
Progressing slowly... constructed open brake parachute housing only to find design was of later production aircraft (bugger!) so had to replace with this version. So far so good! (Thinks: All Victor Belenko had to do was fly the bl***y thing!)

Kiteman

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 02:32:46 PM »
Looking good Pen Pusher!

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 08:32:24 PM »
I find that tissue cut to size and painted with diluted PVA makes good tarpaulin.  It hangs very realistically when draped and once dry, goes nice and stiff, ready for painting.  Nice work on the Foxbat.  And welcome the website.  I am one of the regulars here - when I am here!!!!!!