Author Topic: Old 'n' New  (Read 902 times)

Pen-Pusher

Old 'n' New
« on: February 14, 2016, 11:29:58 AM »
There is much deserved praise heaped upon the new Lancaster variants seen from the Airfix stable in recent years but we should not forget that original, many times issued moulding from the same company. Airfix's original Lancaster was 'simply the best' for many decades. Revised as a Dambuster then seen with a Grandslam bomb hung precariously beneath it's slender fuselage, it filled a gap on our shelves for many a year. Recently, a friend of mine asked if I would build his for him and it has been a joy, reminiscent of those halcyon days or tube glue and thick paint!
With roughly (dependent on version) 130 parts, I find it goes together very well indeed with minimal filling around the wing/engine cowling join a consideration? There is scope to do wonderful things in the cockpit and fore and aft turrets but if tackling the Dambuster version, be sure to relocate the searchlights and fill the wooden-slatted 'Upkeep' (unless doing a trial's mission) before arming! As I said, the new Lanc from Airfix is a beauty but the original(s) still make up to be a very descent representation of a great aircraft so sometime or other, dust it off and have another look.

Photo: During construction with some decals fixed!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Pen-Pusher

Re: Old 'n' New
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 09:12:00 AM »
My friend who wanted this built has decided he doesn't want any weathering so before he collects, I'm calling this finished! Thanks to those on Facebook for their useful comments, support and encouragement (not to mention the generous donation of a 'bomb'). Hope it's been worth it?

Haddock

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 04:54:46 PM »
Looks nice that does.
Haddock.

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 08:45:52 AM »
Yes it does look good.  Nice work.  I think we've covered the whole "modelling versus assembling" thing in your earlier '50,000 rivets...' post so I've nothing more to say on the 'Old 'n' New' thing other than to stress again that I do enjoy working the old kits and honing my skills as I de-hone my craft knife and sanding sticks.  I feel no burning desire to rush out and buy the brand new Airfix/Revell Shackleton.  At some stage I'll dust off the Frog one and have fun modelling that.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 04:10:36 PM »
Thanks Guys!