Author Topic: Reaching for the stars...  (Read 5896 times)

Haddock

Re: Reaching for the stars...
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2015, 03:47:11 PM »
Sounds like something is going on in another part of the house but I get the message.
Haddock.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 11:28:25 AM »
Progress is slow on this one. I am building the Parc Models (Romania) kit which needs some TLC during construction. A fair amount of good detail and am trying to enhance this with the aid of some blow-ups from Russia (Maybe not the right wording there?) Anyone got a shapely female astronaut in 1/144 to represent Helen Sharman?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 09:49:20 AM »
A quick coat of paint to highlight any flaws and with some extra's added, I think it's time to get down to the next assembly stage. Still a bit worried by the booster rocket nozzles and may have to drill out further....?

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 08:20:41 PM »
Are they a bit shallow? Sometimes I find that you can give impression of depth by painting pure black at deepest point then gradually making the black 'lighter by adding grey to black paint, increasing mix until outer edge is reached.
Worth a thought, but if you really like drilling holes...........................
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 10:22:46 PM »
Thanks for that Kev but unfortunately they are painted bright red on the inside (See first post diagram). I think the problem is the walls of the exhausts are too thick and maybe just need bevelling out...?

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 08:59:11 PM »
Hi Pen Pusher,
Sorry didn't consider that one, being painted bright red inside. Maybe the bevelling work is the answer?

Happy Bevelling!!!

Bigkev

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2016, 03:29:02 PM »
I did promise further reviews of kits other than the Airfix issue of the Soyuz/Vostok launcher so for anyone even mildly interested, here goes with the first. Parc Models are a Rumanian company that re-issues other Eastern European kits with alternative accessories or build parts. So it is with their 1/144 Soyuz which was originally issued by RedStar in 2002. Dimensionally much more accurate that its British predecessor, the kit is moulded in the same resin/plastic now common amongst kits from these countries. With 24 major assemblies and 22 small parts this particular kit depicts mission TM-12 which took British astronaut Helen Sharman into space. Finely engraved detail and a good fitting kit has only one really difficult aspect and that, the separation cage between the second and final stage is moulded flat with instructions to 'bend' over a pen or some such object to achieve the necessary curvature. Well suffice to say I tried this and broke the first - and its replacement - so had to scratch build this!! Note, the earlier Vostok versions have a much better, albeit fiddly solution but more on that in a later review (You seriously didn't believe you were getting off that lightly did you?). Another adverse aspect is that some of the bridges between the spru and part tend to be heavy and require care in cutting. Good painting instructions however (correct for a change) and I recommend this to those of you who may now be tempted through these stimulating reviews to add to your collection?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2016, 03:39:36 PM »
More:

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2016, 07:33:16 PM »
I am sure that a collection of Rockets and exploration vehicles would be very interesting following your posts, anybody.......................................??
Thanks for the great info Pen Pusher.
Bigkev

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 11:24:58 AM »
The first of four boosters almost ready for fixing to the main body of the rocket. I'm not happy about the thickness of the rocket motor exhausts but 'bevelling' them out in 1/144 is beyond my skill level I'm afraid!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:28:43 AM by Pen-Pusher »

Kiteman

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2016, 03:44:17 PM »
I do admire your patience, skill and attention to detail. Keep it coming!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 09:19:20 AM »
My final review (I heard those sighs of relief!!) of a Soyuz at least, is New Ware's excellent resin kit, also to 1/144 - and one of many space themed subjects and variants of. I have chosen the R-7 Soyuz TM/TMA which is closest to the previous reviews. The kit consists of 54 resin parts, 39 photo-etched parts, plastic rods, decals and fine coloured instructions.

The resin parts are beautifully cast with crisp details and finely engraved panel lines. The main parts are solid with the exception of the rocket nozzles which are nicely hollowed out (Oh yes, yes, yes!!). There is some flash on the inter-stage truss and all parts need to be removed from their pour plugs. There are no visible air holes in my example. Extra parts are included for the more delicate items, such as the vernier engine nozzles and cross braces. The plastic rod is to be cut and added to the launch vehicle for additional details. The instruction sheet consists of a short program history, detailed graphical assembly steps and a painting and decaling guide. Decals are chosen when you order the kit. Decals are available for ELEVEN different missions. Along with the mission specific decals, a set of R-7 stencils is provided. I have never built a resin kit, let alone one of this complexity but I have seen this one (albeit the earlier Voshod carrier) built and it looked superb. As I said, some of the construction involves extremely delicate work as can be seen from the photo below. I have included New Ware's website for those interested: http://mek.kosmo.cz/newware/

« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 09:23:58 AM by Pen-Pusher »

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2016, 09:25:24 AM »
....and if you dare?

Haddock

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2016, 09:35:52 AM »
That looks fun!!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2016, 09:42:27 AM »
Meantime, back from fantasy land, a dry run with the boosters to check fit...?