Author Topic: Reaching for the stars...  (Read 5897 times)

Pen-Pusher

Reaching for the stars...
« on: December 15, 2015, 03:27:51 PM »
With Tim Peake soaring into space, we’ll all be scrambling in our stash for one or more old Soyuz rockets to build – me included! I thought it might be useful to look at the different kits available for this time-proven launcher so that the discerning modeller (that’s you) can make an informed choice?
The first is the old Airfix 1:144 scale model from 1975 and re-issued several times
The kit contains both Soyuz and Vostok capsules along with Luna, Soyuz and Vostok payloads atop the Soviet R-7(A-Type) launch vehicle (which was also used to launch Sputnik, Voskhod, Molniya, Progress, Soyuz 2 and Fregat). This gives great scope for the model enthusiast!
Despite its age the kit is finely detailed and assembles well; but great care is required in removing many of the parts, especially the strap-on booster frame which needs to be carefully trimmed and filed to allow easy assembly of this crucial structure. It is also advisable to enlarge the holes in the main rocket body and the boosters where the frame connects them as it could spoil the look of the model if the boosters are misaligned! When assembled the Soyuz, Luna and Vostok modules are interchangeable.
The Vostok and Soyuz capsules are designed to fit into their respective units (Photo 1) but rather than hide them away I begged a spare set from Airfix and put them to one side of the display stand and for the capsules at the other. This leaves a hole in the Vostok cover (Photo 2) where the capsule should show through the shroud but I found that a Lego spaceman helmet can be trimmed to fit inside and doesn't spoil the look.
I'm quite pleased with the compact Soviet space history I ended up with; it's well worth taking time over the assembly. The kit requires plenty of patience and preparation to ensure all parts go together correctly but the end result is well worth it. If you intend to start collection of similar models take a look at Airfix A06172 Saturn 1B 1:144 Scale Space Exploration Model Kit Airfix 1:144 Scale A11170 Nasa Apollo Saturn V Rocket Model Kit Airfix A11150 Saturn V Skylab 1:144 Scale Space Exploration Model Kit Space Shuttle Discovery & Booster Rocket 1:144 scale model. There are also a number (13 in all) of Eastern European Soyuz/Vostok launcher/combos, some of which I’ll bore you with later. Comparing the completed model to various photographs, I thought it looked too tall; strangely on checking it turns out to be fractionally too short! It appears that the boosters should be slightly thicker at the base, making the Airfix kit look tall and thin. Still it's a good kit of a rare subject. If you are looking for a more accurate representation I would suggest looking at the Eastern Express 1:144 scale Vostok/Sputnik which builds into a surprisingly solid if less detailed model (both kits contain all the parts necessary for Sputnik 1, Lunik 1, Vostok 1 and beyond). Finally, an all-white finish was only used for a short period. These launchers are painted Dark Grey NOT Green (Photo 5) as in this and many other references but they turn almost completely white with ice when fuelled – something that is done as soon as the rocket is raised to vertical on the launch pad!

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 03:30:30 PM by Pen-Pusher »

Pen-Pusher

Re: Reaching for the stars...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 09:12:55 AM »
Surprisingly there are a number of decal sheets available for the 1/144 Soyuz/Vostok combo - most interestingly of course for UK astronaut Helen Sharman's trip to the ISS (TM12).

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 01:03:23 PM »
Hi pen-pusher remembered I did this Russian space model about 4 years ago. Found it cheap in a model shop down south and thought it would be a change from ships ( sorry Haddock )

MSea

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 02:08:01 PM »
Nice one! Thank you.

Haddock

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 04:27:25 PM »
Hi pen-pusher remembered I did this Russian space model about 4 years ago. Found it cheap in a model shop down south and thought it would be a change from ships ( sorry Haddock )
Is there no end to this man's talents!!

Kiteman

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 04:34:57 PM »
...but it is a ship...a space ship!!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 08:55:56 PM »
'Spaced out' is probably more appropriate!

Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 09:26:41 AM »
Started my 1/72 Soyuz depicting mission TM-12 (Helen Sharman). Looking at the detail for the capsule shroud I notice these four attachments which seem to have a grill or perforated insert. Can anyone advise on how best to achieve this finish in 1/144 scale?

PS. This is a computer generated photo.

Kiteman

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 03:26:26 PM »
In that scale I reckon that they would physically be about 10mm square or thereabouts. I would be tempted to use old radiators from my spares box for aircraft in 1:48 scale.....I reckon that that should do the trick effectively enough. Waddayasay?

Haddock

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 03:52:02 PM »
If you want to push the boat out, Littlecars.com supplies all sorts of wire mesh in a multitude of sizes.
Haddock.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 09:31:38 PM »
Thank you both... Will pursue these ideas (or if Will doesn't know, I'll try something else!)

Haddock

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 10:05:44 PM »
Had a look in my pile of junk and I've got some mesh, I'll take a picture so you can have a look.
Haddock.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 10:51:45 AM »
You're a star Sir!

Haddock

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 09:30:27 AM »
Here's the stuff I found, yours if it's suitable for your needs.
Haddock.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2015, 10:38:11 AM »
Oh Yes, Oh Yes, Yes, Yes....... (Is that a bit much?)