Author Topic: Varnishes  (Read 1382 times)

bridlufc

Varnishes
« on: December 10, 2012, 10:49:05 PM »
Hi all, I have recently been experimenting with Johnstones acrylic wood varnishes.
It came about because I was unhappy with the proprietary varnishes for modelling in relation to using a gloss base for fixing the transfers and I wasn't happy with the frosty finish when sprayed through my airbrush. Although the use of Klear as a base for transfer adhesion is often recommended, I am reluctant to use what little Klear I have left for that purpose, wishing to save it for my aircraft canopies. I am pleased with the results, the added bonus is the cost of the varnish. When you compare the prices for such as Humbrol varnish and Johnstones varnish in litre tins, I think Johnstones wins hands down. It brushes on straight from the tin, no need to thin it down.

Regards Tony

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: Varnishes
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 07:44:27 AM »
I will keep my supply under lock and key then,
Dave
Grumpy by name and nature

driffowl

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 10:50:51 AM »
ive been using it for years mate but then again ive had plenty to hand so to speak,and there will be little or no difference between the johnsons and other water based or alkyd if thats what you choose to use and as you quite rightly point out humbrol,revell,vallejo etc are having a laugh when it comes to the price
 8)

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 05:50:43 PM »
Hi All,

Its nice to see that  the Yorkshiremen, can still find a cheaper alternative to the modelling favourites.

Anyone want to run the country?  Hands up please.............

Kev
I hope my next is always better

bridlufc

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 09:47:22 PM »
Hi all, really it's some small things (forgive the pun) in life that really annoy me. Take Humbrol aerosol spray  paint for instance, for the price that Humbrol charge I can probably get a can 3 times the size from a motor spares shop. I am in total agreement with Geoff on this one regarding Airfix, Revell and the other companies taking advantage of the model market. Gunze Sangyo Mr Surfacer 500 or Squadron green or white putty for filling seams is another example, I have used fine surface filler for cars from the motor spares shop, albeit it has a short working time before the lid has to be replaced. Although I have not tried to thin it down to the consistancy of Mr Surfacer 500 I think it probably will. It is one of the few instances where I keep telling our lass that size really does matter!!

Regards Tony