Author Topic: Bigkev's WIP Roden REIMS FTB337G Lynx 'Bush Wars' 1/32nd scale  (Read 8988 times)

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi All,

Well I have decided to go a little bigger than my last project, from 1/144th to 1/32, so not much change.....!

It is a Roden kit, so I'm expecting some build challenges.
I have also taken the opportunity to use SAC Metal undercarriage to help with nose weight, and some paint masks.
The 'spark' to buying this kit, was some of the artwork produced by one of our members and aviation artist Keith Woodcock for the 'Warplane' part work aviation magazine about 25 years ago.
In his pictures he shows the 'Lynx' in its activities both in day and night, coupled with the photographs in the article, I always said to myself if one of those becomes available I would like one in my collection.
A picture of the  'Roden' Box Art just as a start.
Cheers,
Bigkev 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 08:09:11 AM by Bigkev »
I hope my next is always better

chriswil42

• View Profile
Re: Roden REIMS FTB337G Lynx 'Bush Wars' 1/32nd scale
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 01:50:19 PM »
It'll be interesting to see this one Kevin. What's the wingspan?
Chris

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 08:54:02 PM »
It'll be interesting to see this one Kevin. What's the wingspan?

Hi Chris,
Just checked it out, and I reckon it will be about 14.5 inches wingspan.
The parts are just about to have a bath to remove any mould release agent. I'll post pictures of the sprues tomorrow, before I start the build.
Cheers,
Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 08:06:44 AM »
Hi All,
Well the sprues have been duly washed and dried to remove all traces of release agent.
The parts moulded in mid-grey have a slightly textured surface to them especially on larger parts, and some flash. Nothing that a quick pass with some sanding sticks cannot deal with. The clear parts are not bad but look if they have some sort of 'flow' evident in the parts. However once in water these disappeared, so I think a few dunks in 'Kleer' might resolve this.
The SAC metal parts supplied replacement bulkhead, engine mount nose undercarriage leg and rear undercarriage leg.
Some pictures follow, hopefully I start some building tomorrow.....

chriswil42

• View Profile
Re: Bigkev's WIP Roden REIMS FTB337G Lynx 'Bush Wars' 1/32nd scale
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 04:02:11 PM »
That should keep you out of trouble for a short while Kevin.
Chris

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 08:34:01 PM »
Hi Chris,
I think it might be quite a while.
Been working on the main wing, and fuselage parts today.
Lots of cleaning up, flash to remove, etc.
Have realised that this 'Lynx' has teeth, and will continue to bite through this build, but I do think it a challenging build, perhaps more than normal.
Some pictures will follow on next post.
Cheers,
Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 08:13:15 PM »
Hi All,
As promised, some pictures and explanation to the many problems with the kit that I've encountered so far.

Wings.

These need a lot of sanding to remove the flash and the sprue attachment points. There are a number of holes to fill. Some to mark out and drill. Worst of all there is a definite 'sink' line along the rear trailing edge of the upper wing, which will need some filling, rectification.
Note that the boom attachment points are very narrow, so I intend to create some internal reinforcements inside the booms to help with alignment, and strength.
You might also be interested to note that the ailerons are shown on the instructions and in situ, where as they are separate items. Later on in the build the mounting ports for the wing support booms and the struts, do not appear in the build, just notionally in the instruction in situ.

Fuselage.

Well apart from the flash, the parts inhibit a coarse finish, which needs polishing out.
However, when you do a dry run, with the wing and canopy you realise that the fuselage is some 1.5mm narrow overall around the cockpit. Dimensionally, this my be incorrect, but to fit the parts supplied the fuselage needs a slight widening overall, this I will do by adding some plasticard shims.
In addition the locating pins do not help with the alignment as much as I would like. So I am going to add some thin plasticard tabs to the fuselage innards to add reinforcement as per vac-forming techniques.
Also this kit needs a lot of 'input' from the modeller, for instance the holes for the landing lights in the nose don't exist, the locations are given on the instructions where to drill, but it is not an easy task to get accurate.
When joining the upper fuselage I intend to add some brass pins to reinforce the delicate joining points, and perhaps some tabs, and maybe some 'not correct' internal sparing to beef up the structure. I might also need to enlarge the bulkheads by adding some plasticard to the parts to fit the enlarged girth.
Some pictures follow:-
Bigkev

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 08:19:42 AM »
This looks like a labour of love.
You well make it work I am sure.

You might as well scratch build.
It always amazes me that manufacturers don't do a pre-build to iron out faults before they run off a kit.
There are so many kits that have problems.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bob C

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 11:38:41 AM »
It will be good see this one when it’s finished Kevin, I’ve always liked this plane, seen it in many Vietnam films, I think they used one in BAT21 great film, and didn’t airfix make one in 1/72 many moons ago?
Many happy hours
Bob c

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 12:55:51 PM »
Yes Aifix did do one of these in 1/72nd years ago. I did build one once upon a time.
Chris

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 06:29:28 PM »
Thanks Gents for the comments.
Yes, Airfix did one in 1/72, and I believe ARII also did one.
I built the Airfix one a couple of times, but always had problems with the upper fuselage windows, in making them look right.
A few -(read many) years on. I have now learnt from my learned comrades techniques to rectify loads of issues, so I will be drawing on that information and know how.
Hopefully, I will be able to make a decent job of this one, in time.
I have never seen a completed model of this 'Lynx' so hopefully I'll have something a little bit different.
Cheers,
Bigkev   

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 09:04:40 PM »
Looking forward to watching this progress.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 06:41:21 PM »
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.
Well I've started to rectify the wings, of the moulding sink lines.
I taped off the areas I did not want to be affected by the filler. I also re-scribed the panel lines in the area directly adjacent to the flap area.
This helped by having them still visible once the sanding had been completed.
I then applied some 'Green stuff' filler into the 'sink' area.
Once dry, I sanded the areas, and eventually revealed the amount of filler needed to fill the void. This now needs a further coat of Mr. Surfacer 500, then sanded back to get near an acceptable surface finish.
Some pictures follow:-
Bigkev 

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 07:44:00 PM »
lovely work.

chriswil42

• View Profile