Author Topic: VE Day (x2)  (Read 1041 times)

cph64

• View Profile
VE Day (x2)
« on: May 08, 2020, 08:37:50 AM »
Were you aware that Germany actually surrendered TWICE at the end of WWII? General Jodl signed at Reims on the instructions of Admiral Donitz to the Western Allies on May 8th, this being witnessed by General Ivan Susloparov of the Soviet High Command. When Stalin heard of this he wasn't happy (no change there then!!) stating that both Jodl and Susloparov weren't of high enough rank to sign on behalf of the nations and as Russia had lost so many people in the conflict it should be done by the highest ranking from there. Consequently another meeting was set up in Berlin on the 9th of May where Field Marshall Keitel signed for the Germans and Marshal Gregory Zhukov signed for the Russians. This was then reported to the Russian people to gain points for Stalin at home and as such Russia celebrates VE Day on the 9th.

As an addenda there were other surrenders such as for Italy and Western Austria (May 2nd), North-west Germany, Netherlands, Denmark and Schleswig-Holstein (May 4th) and Bavaria, Southern Germany (May 5th) but the two dates 8th and 9th May are the accepted ones.

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
Re: VE Day (x2)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 09:13:22 AM »
You also have read the history books - or where you at the signings ????? If so looking good for your age - hohohoho
MSea

Red Lancer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 01:20:45 PM »
You learn allsorts on this site1 Thanks Chris

Biggles

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 03:04:52 PM »
Happy VE-Day (75th Anniversary) chaps!
Biggles

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 04:07:12 PM »
Happy VE-Day (75th Anniversary) chaps!
Biggles

Does Happy VE-Day, mean happy in in EAST Yorkshire Day??
Bigkev

I hope my next is always better