Author Topic: Matchbox A.W. Meteor NF.12  (Read 4567 times)

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
Re: Matchbox A.W. Meteor NF.12
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2020, 03:36:47 PM »
Well at least they got the correct name on it - hohohoho
MSea

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 04:11:33 PM »
Well at least they got the correct name on it - hohohoho
Moderated, moderated.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 06:27:29 PM »
Now Boys, Play nicely.
I'll be taking the 'persuader' out of retirement, if not.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2020, 07:01:24 PM »
Now that a few more jobs have been done around the bungalow, the Dornier is finished (nearly) and it's a windy day I thought it was time to tackle masking the beast (not Tracy!!!). 3 and a bit hours later it was done and it's been in the paint shop. The thing about Matchbox kits, and some others, is that the painting guides don't always match up, see the first two photos. These also don't match photos of 85 Sqdn Mk. 12s which have the bottom half of the radome in Medium Sea Grey with the top in (rubber) black. So I'm going with the online photos. There's also discrepancies with the markings for a Mk. 12, but we'll cross that bridge later, including the fact that the box top says the Mk. 14 is 85 Sqdn and the Mk.12 is 84 Sqdn, even though they both have the same Sqdn markings? There are no 84 Sqdn markings in the kit!!!

Hi Chris,
Seem to find this problem on quite a few 'older' models as well as some 'newer' ones.
Somewhere the people doing the illustrations seem to use artistic licence, rather than realising things don't match.
Cheers,
Bigkev

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2020, 02:05:24 PM »
Even when they use photos on the box it quite often does not match the kit inside I've recently found.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2020, 04:23:44 PM »
After the initial trip to the paint shop I wasn't happy with the shade of Medium Sea Grey, it looked to dark. I'd cross-referenced  the Vallejo number I'd used, Model Air 71.049 Sea Grey and it said it was Medium S G. Not so it's darker than Dark Sea Grey!!! So it was re-mask and back in to get a coat of Model Colour Light Grey, 70.990 which looks a lot nearer. Darker than some online builds but lighter than others!!!
Masking was done with Microscale Micro Mask and it's the first time I've used this. It goes on easier than Maskol, but you don't get the high(!!!). To remove you use tape, I used Sellotape but it didn't lift in all the places and I had to resort to a Q tip. Care has to taken to ensure you only rub the area covered or there will be touch ups required, see 2nd photo. Perhaps I didn't put a thick enough coat on in places to give the tape something to bind to better. I will use it again and see if that works.
For now it's back to the paint shop for touch ups!!!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2020, 06:34:15 AM »
Hi Chris,
Coming along Nicely.
Bigkev

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2020, 01:41:29 PM »
Just out of interest Chris, I did read an article about colour and scale. Apparently the smaller the scale becomes the lighter should be the colour.
Chris

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2020, 02:52:55 PM »
Just out of interest Chris, I did read an article about colour and scale. Apparently the smaller the scale becomes the lighter should be the colour.
The whole colour thing can become a bit of a nightmare, yes you are right about the smaller the scale the lighter, but it also seems to depend on so many other things, don't get me and Haddock started.
Minefield!

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2020, 03:16:35 PM »
Yes I know. Shall not mention it again!
Chris

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2020, 06:14:53 PM »
Makes me want to build one...
Nice one Chris.
Andy.
Andy

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2020, 03:24:10 PM »
Here's the final product as a NF.12 with 85 Sqdn at Church Fenton circa 1957. Initially 85 Sqdn was equipped with NF.11s and upgraded to 12s by September 57 before upgrading again to 14s which they had when they left on 31st Oct. 1958.
The instructions say that the decals for the 12 are for 84 Sqdn but the box top shows 85 Sqdn correctly. Being @35 years old they have large carrier films which yellowed when dipped in water but settled down with Micro Set and Sol. Just make sure they're where you want them as they can grip! As many panel lines disappeared during the process of filling the trenches working out where some of them went took some time. I've seen photos of 11s and 14s with the Squadron hexagon marking on the tail but the instructions don't show this on the 12. Using logic (?) I assumed they would be there so put them on. The intake rings were painted using wheel masks from a Ju 290 as they were the nearest diameter I had and using masking tape never looked right. Also the kit front nose door has a recess for the landing lights which should be clear. Some had a solid door, which I made for mine.
Last to be fitted were the aerials and the only intake in the kit, several have been left out. They're over scale and again positioning was interesting due to the lack of reference lines.
Special Hobby have released a kit of the NF.12 but if you want a challenge and a kit at half the price then this piece of Classic Plastic is the one for you.

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2020, 03:37:28 PM »
Nice looking outdoor shots.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2020, 02:43:06 PM »
Nice looking model Chris.
Chris

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2020, 04:16:28 PM »
The outdoor shot adds something to a nice model.
Haddock.