Author Topic: The dawn of a new age.  (Read 6752 times)

Kiteman

Re: The dawn of a new age.
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2020, 05:12:47 PM »
Perseverance my friend, perseverence.

kiwichappers

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2020, 03:34:04 PM »
Perseverance, indeed. Progress has slowed while I make some spigots to reinforce what would otherwise be very weak butt joints for the tail planes to the fuselage. Given the small size of the tail planes I've had to refine my tolerances somewhat and that takes more time.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2020, 08:59:05 PM »
Hi Kiwichappers,
I might be wrong and missed it, but I don't think you have actually named the current subject, but is it the Heinkel He178?
Could you also elaborate on the make of kit and scale, though I guess it is 1/48.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

kiwichappers

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2020, 12:02:19 PM »
My apologies Kevin. Yes it is the Heinkel He 178 V1 which made its first flight late in August 1939. I believe this was the first jet powered aircraft to fly. At the conclusion of the flight test program it was exhibited in the Berlin Air Museum and destroyed in a 1943 raid on Berlin. There are a couple of replicas in German museums although the finishes on both appear to vary in detail from eye witness accounts I have seen.
It was powered by an Hans von Ohain designed diesel fuelled centrifugal flow turbine engine that developed a little over 4 kN of thrust and gave a top speed of 370mph. The fuselage was of conventional stressed skin metal construction and the flying surfaces were wooden.
A second prototype, the He1178 V2 was built with a straight trailing edge wing but it was never flown.

It is a 1/48th Special Hobby moulding that at first glance looks pretty good with etch details, clear instructions, a choice of moulded or vacform canopy and crisp refined surface detail. There are no decals. Not a problem as the aircraft appears to have carried no markings.
There are some optimistic details such as butt joints for the tail planes along with the fore and aft cockpit bulkhead shapes relative to the fuselage contours. I spent time flatting the mating surfaces of the upper and lower wing halves however this has given a nice thin trailing edge. Fitting the wings to the fuselage this morning has thrown up fit issues with some sizeable gaps to be made good.

Overall I'm still enjoying this build but for a simple aircraft it is occupying a lot of time.

There you go Kevin, what more do you need to know?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:11:40 PM by kiwichappers »

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2020, 12:17:03 PM »
Thank you Francis, a very detailed description.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2020, 09:58:45 PM »
Hi Francis,
No your update explains everything.
Thankyou, for that.
I look forward to seeing the finished article.
What's next....?
An Airacomet, A Gloster E28/39, A Nakajima Kikka?
Whatever it is, it will have the 'Francis' touch.
Cheers,
Bigkev

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2020, 11:45:17 AM »
Hi Francis, I've also built the Special Hobby kit of this aircraft but their 1/72 version. This came with etch brass and film for the instruments and I had some interesting times putting it together. Painted in RLM 02, polished metal and natural steel as when it was at the Heinkel factory August-September 1939. No doubt this is the scheme you'll have? Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

kiwichappers

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2020, 03:52:38 PM »
I'm sort of leaning towards a selection of Heinkel jets, He178, 280 and 162. There's also the He176 to consider although that will have to be a scratch build job. An He 100 or He 119 are also in the frame as interesting aircraft from the Gunter brothers. I've also remembered there's a Nakajima Kika in my stash that was given to me by Malcolm Laird which I kept for the sentimental connection. Must look it out and have a deep thourkus about building it. The early Bell and Gloster jets aren't so intriguing to me and have not been on my list to build.

I'd like to see the He178 in 72nd scale. It must be quite small as my 48th build looks diminutive even alongside a Spitfire.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2020, 08:49:50 PM »
Hi Francis,
The idea of creating a collection of models from that era of new inventions and theories.
Great stuff, it will be an impressive group of models if you continue as suggested.
Brilliant.
Bigkev

kiwichappers

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2020, 04:20:32 PM »
And now from the stalled projects department, the He.178. Abandoned some time ago because the cockpit opening was way narrower and a little longer than the canopy.
The cockpit was dismantled to clear the way for the fuselage to be split open and a 2mm fillet to be fitted. The rear cockpit bulkhead was then packed out with 1mm plasticard. After a check that the canopy matched the cockpit opening the cockpit details were refitted and it's back on track.
I'm not to sure how the modified nose shape compares to the prototype. Fortunately there's scant documentation to make a detailed challenge but it is still recognisable as an He178 and that'll do for me.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2020, 05:05:59 PM »
Nice to have you back, perseverance and all, more staying power than me.
Grumpy by name and nature

kiwichappers

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2020, 06:50:06 PM »
Not sure if it's staying power, stupidity or just pig headedness. Believe it or not I'm about to embark on building the V2 version of it. At least the foibles of the fuselage are a known so that just leaves the new wings to surprise me.

Bob C

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2020, 07:43:54 AM »
Nice to see you again.
Bob c

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2020, 09:02:48 AM »
Good to see you posting again
MSea

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2020, 02:58:52 PM »
And now from the stalled projects department, the He.178. Abandoned some time ago because the cockpit opening was way narrower and a little longer than the canopy.
The cockpit was dismantled to clear the way for the fuselage to be split open and a 2mm fillet to be fitted. The rear cockpit bulkhead was then packed out with 1mm plasticard. After a check that the canopy matched the cockpit opening the cockpit details were refitted and it's back on track.
I'm not to sure how the modified nose shape compares to the prototype. Fortunately there's scant documentation to make a detailed challenge but it is still recognisable as an He178 and that'll do for me.
Very interesting airplane. I bet it was a handful to fly.
 Looking good,
Andy.
Andy