Author Topic: Dornier Do17Z  (Read 3207 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Dornier Do17Z
« on: April 16, 2020, 08:39:44 AM »
This is the 1/72nd Airfix kit. I'm building it to add to the BoB display. Online reviews/builds say the fit in the cockpit is tight and it is, see photos. Also the fit of the upper wing (working on that now) and the engines, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!!!

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: Dornier Do17Z
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 09:59:24 AM »
Nice seat belt/harness.
Grumpy by name and nature

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 02:13:47 PM »
Good detail.
Chris

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 02:36:43 PM »
This is the 1/72nd Airfix kit. I'm building it to add to the BoB display. Online reviews/builds say the fit in the cockpit is tight and it is, see photos. Also the fit of the upper wing (working on that now) and the engines, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!!!
Just a note on "tight fits", it's easier to take stuff off than it is to put it back on.
Keep at it, it's looking good.
Haddock.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 08:36:35 AM »
The paint masks have arrived so it's on with the build. I used the Montex masks for most of the glazing apart from the rear lower gun position, for which I used masking fluid. I also used it on the upper rear position as the inner masks didn't want to conform to the domed surface.
After masking the undercarriage was fitted to give something for it to stand on whilst being painted. The retraction struts are very thin so once cut off I trimmed them up by partially hanging the raised part off the end of the cutting mat to give support. The Humbrol RLM 65 was rubbed down to get a smoother surface, masked off and slightly thinned Xtracrylic RLM 71 was sprayed on the upper surfaces. It's ragged it places but I have photos of Do17s with tatty paintwork so they're a good excuse!!

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 02:59:31 PM »
Looking good Chris.
Chris

Kiteman

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 05:59:26 PM »
Dont worry about tatty paintwork, in reality it was just sloshed on in the field. One could imagine that Haddock was there.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 08:41:13 PM »
Dont worry about tatty paintwork, in reality it was just sloshed on in the field. One could imagine that Haddock was there.

Hi Kitey,
Not too sure about that....
Looking at how high the Do-17Z stood on its undercart, I doubt if he could have reached that high.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 05:53:12 PM »
Like that cockpit detail.
Andy.
Andy

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 02:24:59 PM »
So it's back from the spray booth and had ALL the paint bleeds tidied up and sanded down. I thought I'd done a good job with the masking, but you know what thought did!!! The tail-wheel has been refitted using Plastic Weld as neither Contacta or super glue would hold it in place. It's a strange fit into the fairing with no obvious locating position.
Next up is fit the main wheels and mudguards then a coat of Klear followed by decalling, more clear then weathering. All the fiddly bits to be added after this.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 05:52:45 AM »
Hi Chris,
That looks a real nice finish, I have one to build.
This might just have got me inspired.
Bigkev

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 04:18:42 PM »
I chose to build the bomber with the long range fuel tank and the smaller bomb load. The instructions for fitting the tank tell you to fit it one way but on reflection it is easier to fit it the other way around. Another snag which will be encountered is when you come to fit the beam machine guns. There is not a lot of wiggle room when you try to get them through the holes without snagging on the rear gunners seat. I opened the holes out a little bit more and turned the guns on their side as I 'gently' coaxed them into place. I fitted them after painting so as not to break them off whilst masking and painting.
One item missing from the kit is the towel rail aerial underneath, this is at odds with the markings for KG77. The instructions show both aircraft with the DF loop above the cockpit but when KG77 was in France at the time frame given the photos I've sourced showed that their aircraft didn't have the loop, just the rail. So I'll have to make one.

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 05:38:45 PM »
Sterling work.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 09:54:39 PM »
Sterling work.

Hi Zak,
Do you not mean 'Dornier' Work?
Stirling was a British Bomber, Ho, ho, ho,
Bigkev

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2020, 07:29:37 AM »
Sterling work.

Hi Zak,
Do you not mean 'Dornier' Work?
Stirling was a British Bomber, Ho, ho, ho,
Bigkev
You obviously did not check my spelling!