Author Topic: Carers on the 26th March  (Read 7332 times)

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
Carers on the 26th March
« on: March 23, 2020, 12:19:29 PM »
Just got this from a friend who's son is a doctor in London.
Also made me think about all our members past and present working on the front line.
MSea

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Carers on the 26th March
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 04:55:37 PM »
Just got this from a friend who's son is a doctor in London.
Also made me think about all our members past and present working on the front line.

As one, who is in direct contact with the public, I think it gratifying that people realise those who are liable to put themselves at risk are recognised.
My role is changing and I'm sure in the next week or so, I will probably doing things that have not been in my normal working remit.
But the message to all is to follow the guidance, keep social distancing, act responsibly, wash your hands regularly, and do everything to keep yourself and others safe. 
We will come through this, but EVERYBODY needs to do their bit!
Like this Msea.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 09:04:35 AM »
Very good turn out in Walkington -- just about everybody out.
MSea

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 09:45:52 AM »
Our street in Bempton, nearly all out, and lots of noise from further afield.
Grumpy by name and nature

Biggles

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 11:25:58 AM »
I'm just catching up with all the recent postings.

We had an excellent turnout on our road in Hornsea too.

Keep safe Kevin, and thank you for everything you're doing.
You are a hero... and damned good modeller too!
Biggles

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 01:55:29 PM »
It was good propaganda, I'll give it that.  I thought it rather compared to to ringing the church bells after a war and the cynic in me would say it did more to make people feel better about themselves and give them the perception of community spirit (which is undoubtedly making somewhat of a comeback) rather than to provide support to the NHS - after all I'll bet a good many stood clapping were those who did not heed government advice and helped spread things in the first place.  Still, if folk felt they needed that lift to their moral then it achieved its' aim and let's also hope it focuses government themselves, and not just the taxpayer, on the value of not only the NHS but also the cleaners, drivers, teachers, industrial workers and all the many other unsung tradesmen both skilled and unskilled who've been keeping the country running.   

I didn't know about it anyway and so did my bit by chopping vegetables to provide a nutritious meal for my family to keep fit and healthy so they're less likely to need the NHS  :)

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 02:38:58 PM »
Hopefully after all this is over, We may all appreciate just how lucky we are living in this country. Its not perfect but its a blood site better than a lot of places around the world.
Well done to the NHS ( Kevin) and all the people who work in health care. well done to the teachers, post office, council workers, shop keepers, the list goes on. All the so called 'little people' that we would be truly STUFFED without.
Finally. Well done to my son James, who had learned how to use the sodding hoover at last...
Andy.
Andy

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 08:49:03 PM »
Nice one Andy, I just sprayed my tea laughing at that!  Absolutely brilliant!!

On the subject of community spirit, we have had bits of paper put through our letterboxes to stick in the window (see photograph).  Different colours for different areas and depending on whether you're okay or not, you stick the sign up portrait or landscape orientation.  It's been coordinated by our local leisure centre as a Community Hub.  Poppy already works for them on a casual contract (to fit in round her university studies) as a lifeguard at the pool which is obviously closed now but is now working more hours than ever helping put together and issue care packs and such like.

I called the number on the back and signed up to to voluntary scheme when I'm not "at work" so am doing stuff such as getting newspapers for the old folk who can't get out and about and collecting prescriptions.  It's nice to be able to help anyway and even more so to have the time to do it.

What things are happening in your areas people?   

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 09:02:42 PM »
Hi Wizzel,
Good on you mate, and well done Poppy!
A little thought and kindness goes a long way in these times.
Somehow its a shame something like this brings us closer together, hopefully we will all learn something from this and be kinder, better and more thoughtful after this has passed.
I love the window poster, how novel, and what a great design!!
Bigkev 

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 09:11:39 PM »
There is a similar scheme in Bempton, display a green card for ok, red for help needed.

Biggles

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 04:16:29 PM »
Hope you're all going to be out tonight at 8.00pm... giving the carers clap!!!!

(Note: I've got the correct night this time!)

Biggles

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 09:11:39 PM »
Hope you're all going to be out tonight at 8.00pm... giving the carers clap!!!!

(Note: I've got the correct night this time!)

Biggles

Hi Biggles,
I was out with a lot of my neighbours tonight. Very moving and inspiring, and especially when an old lady actually came up to me and said 'Thankyou'
I was near to tears. I came out for all my colleagues and other key workers who are doing their best to keep the country safe and working.
To hear so many claps, horns, hooters going off, not in my street but further afield was moving.
Thanks to you all who also showed your support and appreciation tonight, it does mean a lot to those involved.
Keep Safe, Keep Well,
Thankyou ,
Bigkev

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 09:37:20 PM »
Lots of people out in Bempton too.

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 10:17:22 PM »
Lots out in Walkington but not as many as last week
MSea

Biggles

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 04:55:00 PM »
There were more people out on our Road (in Hornsea) last night, than last Thursday, clapping the NHS and essential workers…

I’ve also got to take my hat off to the supermarket and other essential food shop staff too, who continue to go to work.
We’d all be starving if it wasn’t for them.

This weekend is going to be sunny so I hope people will continue be careful and not start congregating in larger groups... especially along the coast.

Biggles