Author Topic: Carers on the 26th March  (Read 7637 times)

chriswil42

• View Profile
Re: Carers on the 26th March
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2020, 08:02:59 AM »
I agree Martin.
Chris

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2020, 11:25:57 AM »

On my street a goodly selection of people, and some friendly waves to each and another.
A nice feel in the air.
In some way I hope this continues, in other ways, I hope it doesn't if you know what I mean.
Well done to everybody who came out and 'clapped', for one working for the Ambulance Service, it does make us feel valued and appreciated.
However, we still get the odd person who comes up and questions and berates us as to why an Ambulance is parked up, with crew in the middle of a pandemic?
Firstly, we have to be placed strategically, ready to respond to an incident.
Secondly, we have to observe our own social distancing at work. 6 x 2 person crews in the same crew room at the same time, is not acting responsibly.
Thirdly, we can only respond to a request for assistance when it is received.
I can assure you, that every individual crew reacts as quickly and professionally as possible to every job/detail as they are passed from our control centres.

Thanks to all those who supported.
Bigkev
[/quote]

Nice sentiments Kev.  I can easily believe that you are having to justify yourself to certain elements of society and I understand exactly what you mean by it not continuing.  There is a real danger of it becoming so diluted that it is meaningless and indeed what is already happening (since week 2 in fact) is that the "grown ups" are hijacking it for their own means and turning it into an opportunity for a social event - fireworks and car horns (not the best way of supporting those carers trying to get to sleep after a long shift), Chinese lanterns (the irony of them being Chinese aside, the damage they cause to the environment and wildlife has been well documented) and in time, as we are allowed to mingle, it could easily become a weekly "victory parade" with an excuse for a drinks and all the stupidity that follows that. 

For me personally, I am not at all comfortable joining with shows of public adulation, whether it is the annual Armistice parade or the weekly clap for carers so I choose not to participate.  I am of course very grateful to all the people who are continuing with their work during this time, but show my gratitude in my own way by staying fit and healthy, observing the guidelines and not becoming ill, and keeping my eye on those in the area who may need help or assistance.  I see it in much the same way as praying - you can shout it from the minarets 5 times a day, be seen at Church every Sunday or sit quietly at home and do it whenever you like.  Each to their own of course and this post is not meant as a slur on those who feel the need to take part, it is merely my own thoughts which I trust nobody will choose to take offence to.

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2020, 01:01:59 PM »
No offence taken Wizz - they are very similar to my own thoughts.  If it keeps people happy then let them do as they wish, but don't force people to conform to your own methods. 
We have a "preacher" who stands in the street in Beverley and tells people what to do - I have seen him scaring old ladies by telling them if they don't do as he is saying they will end up in hell -- very christian of him ( I wish I was big enough to frighten old ladies) as you can guess when I pass we have several words. He is not usually complimentary about me and last time told me "you smell" because I did not agree with what he was saying.  He is counter productive if he is trying to get people interested in religion, because several times I have heard young people saying after they have got passed him - if that's Christianity then they can keep it. We each have one life and should use it as best we can, doing what is best for yourself and helping others -- hopefully people will come out of this Covid19 scare thinking about who and what are the important  things in life.  I will now get down from my soap box and go and cut the grass.
MSea

Red Lancer

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2020, 01:18:38 PM »
All the usual crew were there.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2020, 04:13:30 PM »

On my street a goodly selection of people, and some friendly waves to each and another.
A nice feel in the air.
In some way I hope this continues, in other ways, I hope it doesn't if you know what I mean.
Well done to everybody who came out and 'clapped', for one working for the Ambulance Service, it does make us feel valued and appreciated.
However, we still get the odd person who comes up and questions and berates us as to why an Ambulance is parked up, with crew in the middle of a pandemic?
Firstly, we have to be placed strategically, ready to respond to an incident.
Secondly, we have to observe our own social distancing at work. 6 x 2 person crews in the same crew room at the same time, is not acting responsibly.
Thirdly, we can only respond to a request for assistance when it is received.
I can assure you, that every individual crew reacts as quickly and professionally as possible to every job/detail as they are passed from our control centres.

Thanks to all those who supported.
Bigkev

Nice sentiments Kev.  I can easily believe that you are having to justify yourself to certain elements of society and I understand exactly what you mean by it not continuing.  There is a real danger of it becoming so diluted that it is meaningless and indeed what is already happening (since week 2 in fact) is that the "grown ups" are hijacking it for their own means and turning it into an opportunity for a social event - fireworks and car horns (not the best way of supporting those carers trying to get to sleep after a long shift), Chinese lanterns (the irony of them being Chinese aside, the damage they cause to the environment and wildlife has been well documented) and in time, as we are allowed to mingle, it could easily become a weekly "victory parade" with an excuse for a drinks and all the stupidity that follows that. 

For me personally, I am not at all comfortable joining with shows of public adulation, whether it is the annual Armistice parade or the weekly clap for carers so I choose not to participate.  I am of course very grateful to all the people who are continuing with their work during this time, but show my gratitude in my own way by staying fit and healthy, observing the guidelines and not becoming ill, and keeping my eye on those in the area who may need help or assistance.  I see it in much the same way as praying - you can shout it from the minarets 5 times a day, be seen at Church every Sunday or sit quietly at home and do it whenever you like.  Each to their own of course and this post is not meant as a slur on those who feel the need to take part, it is merely my own thoughts which I trust nobody will choose to take offence to.
[/quote]

Hi Wizz,
That is the correct grown up, sensible and responsible approach.
It matters more what you do, than what others say you should do.
Respect matey,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better