Author Topic: Lavochkin Revisited  (Read 11428 times)

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Lavochkin Revisited
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2020, 08:54:10 PM »
They say ingenuity is the mother of invention, and it certainly is in your case Wizzel!

The first meeting we have after this dreadful pandemic is over will be a cracker!

We'll have all built so many models in the intervening weeks/months, the tables will be sagging under the weight!

chriswil42: A Sycamore or a Belvedere landing in a jungle setting would be a good diorama for you perhaps!!??!!

The way this blasted Special Hobby Fiat BR.20 is going together, or not as the case may be, might mean it ends up on the Shelf of Doom to be tackeld again at a later date... or perhaps never!

I've staterd looking at Spitfires and Hurricanes again for easier options... aaaarrrggghhh!
Biggles

Hi Biggles,
If I can't have the Fiat Br.20 article/build.
Will settle (groan!) for another Spitfire.
At least I Know that you know a 'little' about them.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2020, 08:43:05 PM »
As promised I've been working on the rails over the last couple of nights.  I used a thinner gauge wire for these as I wanted them to be, well, thinner!  As before, I brushed blue cleaning tissue with watered down white glue, twisted it on and hung it to dry, giving is a coat of white glue and sky grey paint as an undercoat whilst it was hanging.  Once dry, it was a case of rolling it under my fingers on a piece of old MDF and sanding it with 180 grit wet n dry as I went.

As I was sanding it down, I scraped the residue to one side intending to brush it into the bin at the end but it happened quite by chance that I found it would come in quite useful.  When painting one of the rails, I accidentally dropped it into the residue and found that it gave a good rough bark effect.  I then stuck some loose bits of scatter from the trees on the rails to make nobbles where smaller branches have been cut off.  Streaks of various brown, green and yellow oils were used for the wood effect.

The shattered rails were made by just messing about with some tiny shavings of a cocktail stick, superglue and the residue from the sanding process.  Again, oils finished the job.

Next stage is to complete enough rails for the fence and put that together then get cracking on the figures, which will be my least favourite part!  Not sure how much else I will get done this weekend as I have a set of 1:1 scale drive gates to sort tomorrow - post holes to dig, posts to fix in and gates to hang.  My own fault for showing DCOS how proud I was of the 1/72 scale posts I suppose!

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2020, 07:51:34 AM »
Great work and ingenuity, well done Dave.
Grumpy by name and nature

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2020, 01:28:02 PM »
Will have to steal this idea - well done Wizz
MSea

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2020, 02:04:49 PM »
Hi Wizzel,
Nice work, beginning to look 'real'.
Cheers,
Bigkev

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2020, 11:46:31 AM »
Slow progress over Easter as there were a couple of other DIY projects which needed my attention - the 1/1 scale drive gate posts being one of them which are in and gates hung.

After a few false starts on the design of the fence (I can find very little in the way of reference pictures), I decided on the TLA approach.  It seemed logical to make the fence this way to me as if the poles were all on the outside, the livestock could push them off by leaning and rubbing on them and having them all on the inside somehow looked really naff.  Now I'm sure I will meet a 90 year old Soviet agricultural labourer at a show sometime who will tell me how very wrong my fence is, but until then - and even after then, as far as I'm concerned, "That Looks Alright" (TLA).

The smashed fence to the port of the aircraft is glued in place - I just need a few more smaller pieces and some splinters to finish it off.  Those to the right are roughly placed for now and will be subject to a of faffing with before they are fixed.  It's the "pizza topping syndrome" at work again - that fine line between looking a complete mess and trying to appear natural but actually looking deliberately placed - which I do struggle with.

The picture with the figures in are for scale only.

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2020, 12:54:41 PM »
Looking good I like the fence
MSea

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2020, 02:37:10 PM »
That looks pretty good, well done Dave.
Grumpy by name and nature

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2020, 02:39:15 PM »
Fench is looking real good.
Chris

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2020, 02:42:59 PM »
Fench is looking real good.

Whether it is the fence or the 'Fench' it looks spot on to me.
Bigkev

PS. Though I might look it I'm not 90 year old Soviet Agricultural Labourer

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2020, 04:35:04 PM »
Mistype!
Didn't know you were that old Kevin.
Chris

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2020, 05:55:34 PM »
I am saying nothing - I am due a clip round the head for the model of Kevin as a club committee member as it is.
MSea

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2020, 07:58:05 PM »
I am saying nothing - I am due a clip round the head for the model of Kevin as a club committee member as it is.

If I can catch you with my Zimmer Frame, then yes you are going to get a very hard.....by then, stroke on the cheek!
Slaps, punches, black eyes are for younger members.
But, I do make a very nice Voodoo Doll, watch out for that sharp pain in buttocks.
Cheers,
Bigkev

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2020, 08:30:59 AM »
Ouch ouch ouch - its working
MSea

Biggles

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2020, 02:45:19 PM »
Diorama settings certainly bring models to 'life' don't they...
... and add interest for the viewer.
Modelling-wise it looks like the way forward.

Enjoyed reading all the posts today, even though I haven't replied/commented on them.

Back to masking the Spitfires and Hurricanes I have got on the go – which I plan to display in diorama settings.
Biggles