Author Topic: Lavochkin Revisited  (Read 11089 times)

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
Re: Lavochkin Revisited
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2020, 09:53:20 AM »
Looking great - my kind of model damaged and dirty !!!!
MSea

Red Lancer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2020, 09:59:02 AM »
Telexis Aristata........Not only a modelling site but Gardeners World as well !
Thanks for the info

How's the figure doing?

Red Lancer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2020, 10:03:25 AM »
Looks good! Thanks for info on Telexis Aristata
Hows the figure  doing?

Red Lancer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2020, 10:07:04 AM »
Oooops!....   thought the first one hadn't worked!

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2020, 10:08:55 AM »
Figures are coming on slowly.  I'm using oils on the resin pilot - first time doing this - and like the control they give over enamels or acrylics, but the drying time forces patience.  The others are being done in acrylics but like oils, I learnt to be patient and allow them not just to dry but also to cure as I found it's easy to rub off what you've applied if you're too hasty.

Red Lancer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2020, 10:13:26 AM »
Put them in the airing cupboard......you need to secure a bit though so the don't end up under the washing!!!!

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2020, 10:27:18 AM »
Put them in the airing cupboard......you need to secure a bit though so the don't end up under the washing!!!!
That is very naughty, modelling in the domestic area, I get told off for using the kitchen sink. Most areas are no go for me.
Grumpy by name and nature

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2020, 01:06:39 PM »
If I had an airing cupboard I'd probably have a vat of beer fermenting in there!  I have an area in "the hobbies room" which is our spare back bedroom and it's not too light in there but I do have a decent lamp.  I have to be in the right mood to be there too.  My fold up table which I am sometimes allowed to set up in the front room so I can do something whilst DCOS watches TV - it makes her think I want to be with her - is sometimes allowed and when she's on her scout camp 1 week per year, I take over the dining table.  I have to say though, the mood is right at the moment.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2020, 06:45:16 AM »
Hi Wizzel,
This current crisis, has brought us all together.
Though there are 'Red Lines' with the nearest and dearest even in the crisis.
Keep to your modelling area and you will be safe, stray beyond and well...…
Keep modelling though.
Bigkev.
I hope my next is always better

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2020, 04:45:34 PM »
Right then, not much physical modelling done BUT a breakthrough nonetheless.  The sheep have been ordered and after a lot of internet and book searches, I have decided that although a square fence would be easier to make out of balsa strips, a post and rail type fence with round tree branch rails would be the most appropriate for the time and place.  I didn't want to use cocktail sticks as they are too regular and not really long enough for the rails - or should that be "not raily long enough?"

But, HOW to make the fence???  As an experiment, I took some garden wire, stripped the plastic off and then wrapped some blue cleaning roll onto which I had brushed watered down PVA around the wire and twisted it tight.  I then brushed more neat PVA over that and let is set for a few hours.  I was then able to sand it smooth-ish and to the correct scale thickness to get rid of the paper wrinkles and twists but still retain some texture like a long straight branch stripped of it's bark would look.  I painted one length before sanding too so I could see how well the paint soaked into the tissue through the glue.  No problem at all and it can still be bent and twisted slightly (as nothing is straight in nature) so that once painted, should look like the real (rail) thing.

The bit of fence the LA5 has crashed through will have to be wood I suppose unless I experiment with twists of paper without the wire core.  That may be tonight's experiment.  So, lots of words but only one fairly dull picture, but I have to say, it's great fun!  They look a bit like sparklers don't they?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 04:48:03 PM by Wizzel »

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2020, 05:39:02 PM »
Keep experimenting, its nice to see or read about.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2020, 07:43:59 PM »
Hi Wizzel,
One picture or none, it does not matter.
What does, is that you are on here, and letting us know of your experiments, and just describing them is sufficient. It gives the rest of us idea's, how we can use them, or put a slightly different approach.
Dare I say, at this time, this is one type of cross fertilisation/transmission that we DO NEED!!
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2020, 08:34:13 AM »
Thanks Kev, this site has always been about sharing our "secrets" and helping each other improve.

So, some more progress then - please let me know what you think - good or bad.  If you're like me, you always cringe when you see the photographs of what you think is great work as the camera can be very cruel in close up.

After a coat of khaki paint, I snipped the thicker gauge wire into lengths of around 1" which when inserted into the ground would leave the posts about chest high.  This gave me two issues to resolve: 1.  The profile at the ends which was now pinched.  2.  The bare wire was visible.  A quick rub with a flat needle file solved number 1 and as a bonus, also flared the ends slightly as they would be if they'd been hammered into the ground.  For number 2, I dipped what would be the tops of the posts first in white glue and then when that was dry enough, tapped the ends against a bit of MDF to flatten the dome the glue had created thus restoring the flat top, then put a bit more khaki paint on.  They've also been given another thin coat of PVA just to help seal the paper on, hence the semi-gloss look. 

Other than the colour and finish, which I will work on tonight as I want to make a little paler - or even a grey hue - to represent bleached and aged wood, I'm pleased with the effect.  The non uniform shapes and the look of rough timber posts has been achieved I think.  Pictures of the process described above attached - picture 11 was just a test shot of a post in the ground and you can see clearly the wire in the top.

Next is the rails which I have started to make out of thinner gauge wire.  More on those probably tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 08:39:39 AM by Wizzel »

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2020, 09:08:03 AM »
They look good.
I know what you mean about "THE CAMERA", it shows up all the faults.

They are like Twiglets -remember them?

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2020, 10:24:39 AM »
Look great to me Wizz -- I do something like that for trees -- bent wire and a coat of polyfiller
MSea