Author Topic: Buccaneer S.2C  (Read 2593 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Re: Buccaneer S.2C
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2022, 04:08:37 PM »
The kit call out for the overall colour is Humbrol 123 Satin Extra Dark Sea Grey but I'd read online that Tamiya XF-63 is a close match and having none of the former but some of the latter I went with that. Areas were then sprayed with a mix of that and Game Color 72.046 Ghost Grey to add some shading. The nose cone was sprayed with Model Air 71.110 US Dark Grey again to give some variation in colour. Exhaust areas were brushed with thinned Game Color 72.054 Gunmetal and the Intake rings with Model Color 70.997 Metallic Silver to represent the natural metal. Once everything had been allowed to dry thoroughly two thin coats of Klear were applied. The a/c I'm depicting, using the ModelDecal transfers, didn't have the natural metal areas on the leading edge of the wings so I didn't have to mask and paint these. Before soaking the underwing serial were placed onto the bottom of the wing and creased to give me a cut line at the wing fold as no guide is given on the sheet. The outer wing part and all the roundels plus the yellow warning line and Squadron crest were then applied using Micro Set and Sol.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2022, 05:31:56 PM »
What is on the canopy?
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2022, 06:25:00 PM »
I think it might be foam to keep paint out rather than the canopy.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2022, 07:34:31 AM »
I think it might be foam to keep paint out rather than the canopy.
Bigkev
Thanks Kevin, I didn't think of that.
Grumpy by name and nature

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2022, 03:15:20 PM »
Excellent so far Chris.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2022, 04:05:08 PM »
Yes you're correct Kev it's foam to protect the cockpit tub. The ModelDecal colours vary from the kit decals and I've included a photo to show how they're lighter. Both depict 800 Sqdn a/c but a couple of months apart and as the wing leading edges weren't left natural metal earliler on I assume the serials etc could have changed colour as well. Either that or the ModelDecal ones have faded?
I'm using the kit insignia and stencils as they are better defined.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2022, 04:35:12 PM »
The stencils and there are lots of them were applied over 4 sessions, each around an hour plus long. Some are that small you can't see them on the sheet without tipping it to get the light right. I decided to use the kit ejector seats as the CMK ones were chunkier and not 'handed' as the front seat is slightly to the left whilst the rear to the right. The Zoom brass parts were then fitted, after which the interior screen was glued in. I had problems with one of the slipper tanks which kept coming off as the locating lugs aren't very big and the corresponding holes shallow, so it was out with the superglue. The canopy had to be double masked to get the sand coloured liner on and this was fitted later using PVA glue. There is no mention of fitting the nose light but as it is on the real a/c and it is on the clear sprue it was first painted metallic silver then Ghost Grey, the anti collision lights were painted Tamiya Clear Red before fitting. Joint lines in the main u/c legs were filled with PPP, damp wiped then painted there being no joints as the real items were milled from solid pieces of metal for strength.
Due to the size and fit of some of the parts, instructions that have to be really studied at times and the multitude of stencils I wouldn't say this is a kit for a beginner but with a lot of patience it can be turned into a great model. There are parts left over which I assume come from the S.2B boxing of the 'Brick' in RAF use.
XV358 came from the fourth production order of 30 Buccaneer S.2 a/c for the Royal Navy placed on 12 April 1966. All were built at Hawker Siddeley Aviation, Brough with XV352 to XV361 making their maiden flights from RAF Driffield.

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2022, 07:24:16 PM »
Looking great Chris
MSea

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2022, 07:42:55 AM »
Looks nice.
Haddock.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2022, 07:39:35 PM »
Great model Chris.
Chris

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2022, 07:55:23 PM »
You did a great job with this one Chris.
Every bit a Bucc......
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Bob C

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2022, 07:07:48 PM »
looks really nice Chris

Bob c