Author Topic: The 'pull' of the Pulqui II  (Read 895 times)

Pen-Pusher

The 'pull' of the Pulqui II
« on: August 11, 2019, 11:44:22 AM »
Peter Makey and I have been looking at early jet prototypes of German and Russian design – mainly the Ta.154 and La.176 and 1/72 model kits of both. While the 154 was conceptual only it is still a popular subject with both Revell and PM issuing reasonable kits (same) in this scale. The later La.176 is issued in a rather crude kit but good enough to ‘work on’ and produce a replica of this record-breaker in the Soviet Union. Another aircraft however that was designed by German engineer Kurt Tank is the Pulqui II (Pulqui is a South American Indian word for arrow), designed, built and flown in Argentina.

According to flight-test records, the Pulqui II (Photo #1) had an excellent performance envelope and many characteristics, superior to the F-86 Sabre and Hawker Hunter - but sadly, due to political and financial reasons, the project was terminated and the Pulqui II never achieved mass production. Today, the fifth prototype is on display at the Museo Aeronautico Argentino in Moron, Buenos Aires. An Interesting fact is that Argentina became the 8th country in the world to develop a swept-wing jet fighter.

The similarities in design between the Pulqui II and planes like the Ta.154 (Concept) the La.176 (Photo #3) and even the Mig 15 is due in part to the fact that several engineers who worked with Tank in Germany and were not able to join him (like at least four others did) in Argentina, were later ‘transferred’ to the Soviet Union to work there. From the UK perspective, all three at some stage shared the same engine, the Rolls Royce Nene II.

I am only aware of one kit of the Pulqui II, a resin one manufactured in Argentina by Ricardo Dacoba in 1/72 scale. My modelling friend in Argentina tells me although the kit parts are nicely detailed, they have a considerable number of air bubbles, some of them in hard to reach places and this adds considerably to the build process?

I’d be interested to hear if anyone has built a Pulqui II from this kit or by any other means? While Peter an I were looking at the La.176 kit I felt this could form the basis for a conversion to the Argentinian aircraft but I need to check some dimensions first! We’ll see..?

Haddock

• View Profile
Re: The 'pull' of the Pulqui II
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 12:01:08 PM »
Blimey!
Haddock.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The 'pull' of the Pulqui II
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 06:20:09 PM »
Hi Pen-Pusher,
Interesting stuff this.
A model of an Argentinian marked aircraft to appear soon....?
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better