Author Topic: Messerschmitt Me262 in 1/144th  (Read 17470 times)

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Messerschmitt Me262 in 1/144th
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 05:09:48 PM »
Well, managed to mask the upper surfaces in readiness for tomorrow's painting session.
As mentioned beforehand I think the colour descriptions have been transposed, so opposed to my usual approach the lighter green will be sprayed next.
Once done further smaller blotches of both colours will be added to the fuselage sides and wing surfaces.
A few pictures follow.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2019, 05:23:08 PM »
Hi All,
Well the rain has meant I'm allowed in the modelling room!
So I have managed to give the upper surface's a coat of RLM 83 'Olivgrun'. All went well, and the Aeromaster paint sprayed beautifully, despite being 20 years old.
Once dry, I peeled off the masking. The tape was no problem, but the Blu-Tack worms meant a little more work. they did not peel off in one motion, but needed several passes with a bigger piece of Blu-Tack to remove the material completely.
Once done I was left with quite a nice demarcation line, on both wings and fuselage.
Some pictures follow.
Bigkev 

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2019, 05:29:07 PM »
Hi All,
Whilst waiting for the main airframe to dry properly, I took the opportunity of painting the Kettenkrad and towing arms, plus the insides of the undercarriage doors.
All painted using Aeromaster paint, which being water based made for easy application and clean up.
A few pictures follow.
Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2019, 05:36:54 PM »
Hi All,
Well after all that masking had been removed, and paint allowed to dry, I decided I could tackle the mottle camouflage on the fuselage sides and engine cowlings. It took a few go's, having to re-cover some bits that were too heavy, or had indications of airbrush splatter. A few hours later I was happy with the result, and I am now ready to paint the undercarriage bays in RLM 02 Grey, then apply a gloss 'Future' varnish to seal everything in ready to deaclling.
A few pictures follow:-
Bigkev
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 03:21:59 AM by Bigkev »

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2019, 07:42:54 PM »
Hi All,
Well a bit further on now.
Managed to paint in the red trim on the nose and tail.
Also I have applied 3 thin coats of Johnson's 'Kleer' to the airframe ready for decaling. However, I kept the 'Kleer' off the canopy parts, so as not to create a build up on the canopy frames. Once decalled, I will apply a final Matt/Satin coat to the whole airframe, including the canopy so there will be no apparent difference in finish..... I hope!
Decaling next...…
Some pictures follow:-
Bigkev

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2019, 10:18:10 AM »
Looking nice. Is the Klear brushed or airbrushed?
Haddock.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2019, 07:05:26 PM »
Hi Haddock,
Thankyou for your comment, yes, it is coming along nicely now..
As to the 'Kleer' I always use a number '6' size brush. But I find that it works better if you wet the brush thoroughly in warm water, then squeeze out most of water before dipping it in the 'Kleer'. Then it is just a case of quick light coats, allowing about an hour between coats.
Cheers,
Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2019, 06:49:04 AM »
Hi All,
A bit more progress. The decals have been applied, using the Micro Set and Micro Sol solution's.
A quick check revealed a couple of areas where silvering occurred despite the gloss finish. So using a hypodermic needle, I pricked the areas involved and applied some more Micro Sol.
Once dried, I will give the model a wash with a warm soapy piece of cloth, followed by a quick rinse, to remove any excess solution's, and then it is time for the varnish.
Some pictures to show:-
Bigkev   :D

Roger

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2019, 08:48:04 AM »
Lovely, looks just right.

Roger

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2019, 07:02:24 PM »
Lovely, looks just right.

Roger

Thanks Roger,
Considering the high quality of your builds, that means a lot to me.
It will look even better once it has been matted down and the canopy masks removed.
Not sure about the towing arm for the Kettenkrad, I think it might be toned down to RLM 02 Grau, yellow just looks wrong...?
I'll have it done for Telford, Base and All,  Yippee!
Cheers,
Bigkev

Roger

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2019, 10:38:10 AM »
Looking forward to seeing it at Telford. Perhaps you might pick up a 1/32 Schwalbe cheap at Wonderland Models - would you fancy scaling up?
R

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2019, 05:02:10 PM »
Looking forward to seeing it at Telford. Perhaps you might pick up a 1/32 Schwalbe cheap at Wonderland Models - would you fancy scaling up?
R

Ooooh Errrr?
Not sure, I love the Schwalbe as an aircraft, but it would be a big project.
Perhaps you'll have to convince me at Telford.
Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2019, 04:32:57 PM »
Hi All,
The end is in sight.
I have managed to get the airframe finished and varnished.
I use Vallejo Matt and Satin varnishes, at a ration of 5 matt to 2 Satin, which gives a flat finish, but still retaining a small amount of 'sheen'.
Also whilst on the final leg I gave the Kettenkrad some detail painting, on the seats, tracks and tyre. Then I gave it a coat of 'Kleer', which once dried, a thin wash of 'Burnt Umber' oil paint thinned with turpentine, and allowed to settle in the recesses and detail.
I also gave the U/C the same treatment, which picked out some of the detail on these parts. They now need a 'varnish' as above, to maintain same finish.
I removed the 'Bare-Metal' masking on the canopy and found I had some adhesive residue. A quick internet search advised to use good old WD-40 to remove it. I used a Micro-brush, and a coffee stirrer, which had been dipped into WD-40 and it worked perfectly. The residue was gone, and after a quick wipe with a clean piece of kitchen towel, left with nice clear canopy.
However, I understand that it works best if the paint used on the model is Acrylic, not Oil Based.
Now I just need to 'varnish' the undercarriage parts and Kettenkrad, and then create a suitable base.
Some pictures of the above:-
Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2019, 08:35:54 PM »
Hi All,
Final details have now been added and all the various bits brought together.
A stretched sprue pitot tube on the port wing, and the seat belts are all that was added to the basic kit.
Happy with the finish, though I may replace the towing arm, as it appears too heavy.
A small piece of 'concrete paper' has been placed underneath just for photo purpose's. I will make a more finished base in the next few days.
Some pictures follow:-
Bigkev

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2019, 08:42:02 AM »
Exquisite. Not you, the model.
Haddock.