Author Topic: When its time to admit defeat......  (Read 1127 times)

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
When its time to admit defeat......
« on: November 28, 2018, 08:06:46 AM »
Hi All,

I wonder how many of you have got to the point with a kit where you just have to admit defeat.
I retrieved from the loft an Italeri An-2 Colt in 1/72 which I started a while back but got side tracked .
I had great hopes of making this in Polish markings initially. Now I had retrieved it I thought well it needs a bit of work but, but I'm sure re-energized after Telford I could finish it, how wrong I was.

The canopy assembly was awful, even though I had carefully dipped the canopy in 'Kleer' and got a brilliant clear canopy, when it came to fixing the under canopy panels it became apparent all was not well, nothing fitted as it should, no matter how much trimming, adjusting I did. I looked for an after market replacement and found nothing. Still not deterred I assembled the rest of the airframe components where I could, again found that the joins, and mouldings were so poor when a dry run was attempted, the model would end up being more filler than kit. Eventually after quite a few hours of modelling time expended but getting nowhere I wanted to be, I decided to admit defeat, and chuck the model. It was so poor, that any further time to achieve any sort of result would be pointless, as it would not have given me the satisfaction as a finished article knowing there were so many flaws in it.
The only consolation is that the spares box now has a few more bits to be used and a set of decals as well.

Has anybody else had a similar experience...??   

Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
Re: When its time to admit defeat......
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 11:02:23 AM »
Sounds like MOST of my models when they are finished -  but heho its only for FUN
MSea

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 03:29:47 PM »
More often that we admit I guess.
Grumpy by name and nature

Roger

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 07:00:30 PM »
I feel your pain brother BigKev.
A Valentine in 1/35 from a Russian company, whose name escapes me.  I now use it as a test piece for paint effects.
Sometimes you just have to move on.
Roger