Author Topic: East Riding of Yorkshire  (Read 17532 times)

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
East Riding of Yorkshire
« on: November 16, 2018, 01:33:38 PM »
Please feel free to post any ideas or models on this thread connected with this theme for models, anything connected will do.

When this was raised at the club meeting as being a theme for the next show in September a germ of an idea began to take shape.

I recollected that I had a model of the Bonhomme Richard somewhere, eventually I found it.
The model was produced by SMER and is quoted as 1/500 in scale
Grumpy by name and nature

zak

• View Profile
Re: East Riding of Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 01:36:19 PM »
If ships are your thing, then two ships connected with the East Riding are:
HMS Bridlington - a minesweeper
HMS Beverley

There may be more to be discovered.

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 02:02:26 PM »
Checked up on both, can't find any evidence of either in kit form on the present market.
There was a resin kit of the class which HMS Beverly belonged to produced but not now in stock anywhere.
I got the book of the ship in anticipation. How's that for dedication.
The only thing that may fit the bill is a round table class armed trawler, I think some were built at Beverly.
Starling Models has some on stock in 1:700 in resin, only about £12 plus postage. In that scale it would only be around 2" long. I we got one each, we could build a small fleet!
Tony.

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 02:20:03 PM »
Sorry chaps, just checked up, they were built in Aberdeen.
The only hope is that the may have sailed from Hull at some time.
Those that survived were sold to the fishing companies after the war.
Can't find anything, perhaps Martin will know.

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 02:32:43 PM »
Please feel free to post any ideas or models on this thread connected with this theme for models, anything connected will do.

When this was raised at the club meeting as being a theme for the next show in September a germ of an idea began to take shape.

I recollected that I had a model of the Bonhomme Richard somewhere, eventually I found it.
The model was produced by SMER and is quoted as 1/500 in scale

Connection to East riding in red.
The Bonhomme Richard, formerly Duc de Duras, was a warship in the Continental Navy. She was originally an East Indiaman, a merchant ship built in France for the French East India Company in 1765, for service between France and the Orient. She was placed at the disposal of John Paul Jones on 4 February 1779, by King Louis XVI of France as a result of a loan to the United States by French shipping magnate, Jacques-Donatien Le Ray.
Bonhomme Richard was originally an East Indiaman named Duc de Duras, a merchant ship built at Lorient according to the plan drawn up by the King's Master Shipwright Antoine Groignard for the French East India Company in 1765. Her design allowed her to be quickly transformed into a man-of-war in case of necessity to support the navy. She made two voyages to China, the first in 1766 and the second in 1769. At her return the French East India Company had been dissolved, and all its installations and ships transferred to the French Navy. As a naval ship she made a voyage to Isle de France before being sold to private shipowners in 1771. She sailed in private service until she was purchased by King Louis XVI of France in early 1779 and placed under the command of John Paul Jones on 4 February. The size and armament of Duc de Duras made her roughly equivalent to half of a 64-gun ship of the line.
Jones renamed her Bon Homme Richard (usually rendered in more correct French as Bonhomme Richard) in honor of Benjamin Franklin, the American Commissioner at Paris.
On 23 September 1779, the squadron encountered the Baltic Fleet of 41 sail under convoy of HMS Serapis and HM hired armed vessel Countess of Scarborough near Flamborough Head. Bonhomme Richard and Serapis entered a bitter engagement at about 6:00 p.m. The battle continued for the next four hours, costing the lives of nearly half of the American and British crews. British victory seemed inevitable, as the more heavily armed Serapis used its firepower to rake Bonhomme Richard with devastating effect. The commander of Serapis finally called on Jones to surrender. He replied, "Sir, I have not yet begun to fight!" Jones eventually managed to lash the ships together, nullifying his opponent's greater maneuverability and allowing him to take advantage of the larger size and considerably more numerous crew of Bonhomme Richard. An attempt by the Americans to board Serapis was repulsed, as was an attempt by the British to board Bonhomme Richard. Finally, after another of Jones's ships joined the fight, the British captain was forced to surrender at about 10:30 p.m. Bonhomme Richard – shattered, on fire, leaking badly – defied all efforts to save her and sank about 36 hours later at 11:00 a.m. on 25 September 1779. Jones sailed the captured Serapis to the Dutch United Provinces for repairs.
Though Bonhomme Richard sank after the battle, the battle's outcome was one of the factors that convinced the French crown to back the colonies in their fight to become independent of British authority.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 02:35:46 PM by zak »

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 07:32:57 PM »
Hi Zak,
Really like the Bonhomme Richard story and the other links to East Riding of Yorkshire.

For me it will be an aeronautical theme, and I have a couple of projects in mind.

What I do like,  is that you have started the diverse number of subjects and time line that this theme can cover.

Perhaps the twelve or so bits of wood supposedly from Bonhomme Richard will be re-created in due course, but who will be the first?

I think Bill has the given us the 'key' to a bigger more diverse theme within the club and beyond.

I will watch this thread closely, and where possible add to it.

Well done, Sir!

I presume the Smer kit is now finished, if built at your usual build rate??

Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 08:19:04 AM »
No, not finished yet, I am adding the ratlines as none were included in the kit.
I am doing this while paint and glue dries on a bigger model.

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 11:03:43 AM »
What an idiot I am, I built one of these some time ago, I gave it away to someone who had a particular interest in the ship. This was the old Pyro kit.
Here is a link to some photos of the ship http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/misc/sail/bhr-500-ds/ds-index.html

meremodeller

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 04:34:24 PM »
There are two other themes which are open to a wide range of model projects.
1. East Yorkshire Regiment, with a long history which includes 19th and 20th century conflicts
2. Hedon Aerodrome, not least the Amy Johnson connection, Gustav Hamel very early aviator, and the very brief story of the aircraft manufacturer 'Civilian'
Plus you might include 'The Bounty', originally build in Hull as the collier 'Bethia' plus a Bag of Boiled Sweets and a Bottle of Dettol.

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 08:18:44 PM »
You can also add the Hull trawlers  attacked by the Russian fleet on the way to the battle of Tsushima - damaged parts of one is on display in the Hull maritime museum.  That could be any of the trawlers, any of the Russian fleet or the mission vessel "Joseph and Sara"  or the funeral cortage on the streets of Hull.   
I still have one of the Revill "north sea trawler" models in the stash and might try and convert it to a 1950 Hull trawler my father sailed on.
German ships shelling Scarborough during the first world war, or the damage to the houses ashore.
The Hull whaling fleet ----- but expect it will be 95% planes - but heh ho its only a hobby and for FUN.
MSea

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 07:04:46 AM »
Scarborough was not in the East Riding, the border checks are at Filey, or were!

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 07:08:22 AM »
I forget to say that I did waterline the ship before anything else.

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 08:49:38 AM »
We live and learn -- ?????
MSea

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 02:55:45 PM »
Scarborough was not in the East Riding, the border checks are at Filey, or were!
How much artistic licence should we use. Scarborough is on the East coast of Yorkshire although not the East riding!

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 02:43:15 PM »
A bit more progress, in between building 1/350 pre- dreadnoughts.
Here she is firing a broadside, I now need to come up with HMS Serapis.