Author Topic: Sword TBM-3W Avenger  (Read 4725 times)

Roger

Sword TBM-3W Avenger
« on: September 24, 2018, 06:14:36 PM »
On to the next build - photos show progress so far.

Roger

Roger

Re: Sword TBM-3W Avenger
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 04:14:03 PM »
Construction complete - on to the colouring in bit.

Cheers
Roger

Roger

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 07:47:22 PM »
Rudder stripes painted.  I used my own mix of Tamiya paints to match the colours on the cocardes (roundels to you and me).
Prior to this I had primed with a Halfords rattle can, then remasked the clear parts and painted them with the interior colour.
On y va,
Roger

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 08:28:40 PM »
Hi Roger,

Another naval subject from the RS Hanger. Always like the Avenger, and this Aeronavale version looks good.
Will be watching closely and learning.....
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Roger

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 07:18:48 PM »
Not sure I can teach you anything BigKev!!!
Bit more detail on the undercarriage while waiting for paint to dry - of which more below.
We got a new kettle last week, which gave me a lifetime supply of 0.18mm copper wire.  Thankfully this was from the old lead.
I used some of this twisted around a .4mm drill bit, to add the the down rings on the undercarriage, used for securing the Avenger to a carrier deck with chains.
Just the brake lines and these will be ready for some paint.

Roger

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 07:21:33 PM »
As for paint, the rudder was masked an a pink undercoat painted in the areas where the yellow stripes will be.
After leaving for an hour or so to dry, yellow was applied over the top.

Cheers for now,
Roger

Roger

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 10:26:32 AM »
The black stripes have been masked and painted.

This Avenger was near the end of it's service by November 1956, and the Gloss Sea Blue was a little scruffy by then.  So the next colours to go on were aluminium for the high wear areas, and "fibreglass" for the radome area.  These areas were coated with Klear, followed by a good overspray with hairspray.  This will allow some scratching and chipping after the GSB has gone on.

Cheers for now,
Roger

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 12:35:40 PM »
Looking good. Can't wait to see the results of the hair spray method.
Haddock.

Roger

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 04:57:48 PM »
I should get to that bit tomorrow Haddock.  In the meantime some distraction - my friend Steve made me a nice set of shelves so I had a tidy up yesterday and fixed them to the wall. Thanks Steve!
Gloss Sea Blue - well matt at this stage - today.  First I preshaded the model with the darkest shade, Tamiya Sea Blue straight from the bottle.
Next I filled in the gaps with a slightly lighter shade.

Roger

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 05:01:44 PM »
Then I mixed a lighter shade still to provide more fading of the paint work, followed by a mist coat (of the middle shade) over the top until the effect is how I want it.

All done in about an hour and a half, including setting up, mixing paints, airbrushing and cleaning up after.  Aren't acrylics great!!

Cheers for now,
Roger

Roger

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 11:28:55 AM »
Today started with paint chipping. For this, just apply some water with a brush, let it soak into the paint for a minute, then either scratch with a cocktail stick or rub over with a stiff brush (I use a toothbrush).  The first picture shows everything I used, the second a close up of the effect.
The third picture shows where I went a little far - soon rectified with the airbrush in picture 4.

Roger

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 11:32:54 AM »
After I was happy with the chipping, I removed most of the masking (leaving the canopy and engine masked). This "big reveal" is always one of my favourite bits of modelling.  At least if it reveals a tidy model!
Last picture shows the model with an airbrushed coat of gloss, which will get rid of all of the watermarks and prepare the model to receive the decals.

TTFN,
Roger

Roger

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 06:24:26 PM »
Some detail work done - exhausts drilled and aerials etc made from brass rod.

Roger

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 06:29:43 PM »
Here is the finished model.  Incidentally this is the TBM-3W2 version, as used by the French Aeronavale.  I   thought these were AEW aircraft, but apparently this was the sub hunter version, used alongside the TBM-3S which was the killer version, much like the later Grumman Guardian pairing.  Every day's a schoolday!
Bye for now,
Roger

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 06:41:28 PM »
Hi Roger,
A very nice looking model, I always had a soft spot for the Avenger.
Will you be doing a 'deck style' base/diorama, to show it off in its natural element?
What about a F4U-7 Corsair in 1/72 in 'Aeronavale' colours now to complement the Avenger??
Perhaps Telford might be a place to start.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better