Author Topic: RAF Wessex HC.2 (Aden)  (Read 4468 times)

Pen-Pusher

RAF Wessex HC.2 (Aden)
« on: August 13, 2018, 11:54:04 AM »
A long delayed start to my Wessex HC.2 using parts from two Italeri kits. The kit detail is very good and even during some initial building, the sounds and smells and 'emotions' of the real thing come flooding back.

This is a 'dry-fit' of the cabin and cockpit only but much work remains to be done on the interior yet.

Pen-Pusher

Re: RAF Wessex HC.2 (Aden)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 11:55:48 AM »
Wessex operations in Aden frequently called for a couple of GPMG's to be fitted in the cabin. One usually protruded from the rear window on the port side and another was fitted on a swivel mount at the forward edge of the main cabin door (See photo). Looking at the diagram and parts shown here, I'll need to add an ammo-box and belt - and raise the gun to the mid-point - but the mount looks okay?

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 01:09:30 PM »
Interesting, looks like a nice kit(s).
Haddock.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 01:23:21 PM »
A scratch-built pivot-pole which fits onto the cabin floor beside the main door. The gun mounting, slightly offset to accommodate the ammo-belt and the main bracket (left). Any ideas for a belt feed in 1/72 would be appreciated?

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 02:52:20 PM »
A scratch-built pivot-pole which fits onto the cabin floor beside the main door. The gun mounting, slightly offset to accommodate the ammo-belt and the main bracket (left). Any ideas for a belt feed in 1/72 would be appreciated?
Piece of paper/think card with some small pieces of plastic rod/ stretched sprue attached.
Grumpy by name and nature

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 09:16:33 PM »
I'll give that a go...!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 10:24:26 AM »
Some interior work started but disappointed by thick windows and quality of transparency... even after polishing! Oh well!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 10:48:37 AM »
As the fwd window on the port side is 'bulged' and the kit does not provide this, I've used a 'blob' of 'Clear Fix' to create the illusion?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 08:58:18 PM »
I have a slight 'fit' problem with the cabin floor but I should be able to fix that. Sadly, the majority of internal detail is lost when the two sides are closed up

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 09:37:37 AM »
I've found it much more necessary to do several 'dry-fits' with this model than is usual - not due to any fault with the kit(s) but with my choosing to cross match so many parts from two kits. The cockpit interior will be detailed as I progress with the build. Much of the Wessex instrumentation is on a panel mounted on the cockpit roof, so the final assembly of the front, main fuselage and glazing will have to wait a while yet?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 07:02:35 PM »
Okay, if anyone is still reading this, I needed to do some work on the cockpit interior before any further assembly. The italeri kit for all H-34 derivatives is nice, but obviously the cockpit interior is based on the earlier versions, so some detail is completely wrong for the HC.2 Wessex. I had to add a simple rotor brake to the roof console and these two collective levers for the pilot and co-pilot's position From memory, the HC.2 was somewhat simpler than the later HU.5 but at this scale, it would probably not be noticeable. Anyway, collective levers fitted (LH side of each seat) and now it's time to tackle those instruments.

Note: Not all Wessex with No.78 Squadron were fitted with a winch but this, XS674 'H' was...

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 12:17:05 PM »
I am still reading - progressing nicely.
Grumpy by name and nature

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 01:23:28 PM »
I'm reading, keep going.
Haddock.

Roger

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 02:54:58 PM »
Still reading with interest
Roger

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 03:15:17 PM »
Keep going Pen-Pusher,
Looks good so far.
Like the use of Ships cradle/base supports for the model. Not thought of that one!
cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better