Author Topic: More horsing around fifty?  (Read 3637 times)

Pen-Pusher

More horsing around fifty?
« on: July 04, 2018, 10:13:14 PM »
Academy's P.51 in 1/72 is an extremely nice kit. Okay, it's not quite up to the standards of the most recent Airfix issue but of the three moulds Academy use, this is by far the best. The kit comes with the fuselage split into fore and aft sections - the reasoning behind this becomes apparent when you realise seven of this company's nine Mustangs, use this to create clever Mark options. Disregarding the instructions I decided to cement these before assembling the fuselage. I seem to recall having problems with a similar construction process with Italeri's 1/72 Spitfries so I decided to follow a different drummer on this one. The parts fitted together very well as you can see from the photos and I doubt if any surface sanding will be required at all..?

Pen-Pusher

Re: More horsing around fifty?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 10:16:29 PM »
Detail in the cockpit is as much as you want it to be but there is enough to have an impressive interior straight from the box. The instrument panel, compass and rudder pedals are moulded as one with only a few parts more to complete the floor/seat/bulkhead. The fit of the assembled cockpit is VERY tight so a few dry runs are recommended...

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 10:19:25 PM »
Wings are a simple three part assembly and again these fit tightly around the fuselage but you do need to watch the angles as you slip them in from the front to rear of the main intake. The instruction show the tail planes reversed so check first.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 10:20:21 PM »
With the u/c legs fitted I drilled the guns for effect...

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 09:22:27 AM »
By jove, that was quick!
Haddock.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 06:11:42 PM »
The 'present' Mrs D calls me 'speedy' also...?

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 08:34:11 PM »
Hi Pen-Pusher,

Is it 'Speedy'? or does she cry "Ariba, ariba! not another model........!"

Cheers,
Bigkev (The Modelling Snail)
I hope my next is always better

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 09:26:25 PM »
I'm not sure what the Memsahib cries as her Northumberland vocabulary remains both 'creative' and 'explicit' at these times?

Meantime, first coat of Vallejo sea grey covers another multitude of sins...

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 10:09:42 PM »
Hi PP,

Your sins are dutifully covered...…………

Now we ned a bit of colour to bring it to life...…….

Bigkev (The Modelling Snail)
I hope my next is always better

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 12:25:06 PM »
I get a lot of satisfaction when the first coat of the camouflage is applied. I also like to ensure as far as possible I get as much of the detail right to represent the chosen aircraft on a particular day - for much could/can change in the space of 24 hours. This Mk.III Mustang of 112 Squadron will represent FB247 on 24th September 1944 at Fano on the Italian mainland. FB247 GA+Q retained the older style canopy, not the Malcolm hood fitted to the other 112 Squadron a/c. This was the plane of Flt. Lt Hearn who was the leader of B Flight downed a Ju 88 with earlier on 9th September, even though only one of his four guns was working. He was killed on what would have been his last sortie on 18 February 1945, in KH820 again coded GA+Q, a later Mustang Mk IV with the Malcolm hood. His plane exploded after being hit by flak. The letter "Q" was not used again as a mark of respect

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 07:46:02 AM »
Progress on the Mustang tonight. Halfway through positioning the fuselage decals, I noticed the 'sky' backing to a couple of digits in the serial number. 'B****r I thought, I've forgotten the band that goes around the rear empennage - but (Phew) I hadn't. That had been removed when the Squadron had left the UK. Sharkmouth and small detail tomorrow...

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 07:22:16 PM »

Using the Dewar-patent 'sprue 'n' plasticine' method of fitting side windows. Lovely fit. The front cockpit also in place.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 07:40:39 PM »
The outside frame of the dropped cockpit side is painted in the dark green of the a/c camouflage. As far as I can make out the inner framing was either zinc-chromate or light green to match the interior and the latch at the bottom, matt-black... or am I wrong?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 02:57:31 PM »
Since I started using the MSP Flexi-cement, i must admit canopies are getting easier...?  hope to get this finished for tomorrow night's club meeting - What football?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 02:59:17 PM »
Sorry, wrong photo..