Author Topic: The 47 Ronin  (Read 13632 times)

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
The 47 Ronin
« on: July 04, 2018, 01:23:56 PM »
Well back in the modelling world after a week in London at RHS Wisley gardens and a few other bits and bobs. Took "she who must be obeyed" to York to see some friends from "down south" (yes Zak  I do have friends) and found this box of samurai in Monksbar models in the reduced section. Could not see on the box how many figures so checked with the staff and they had to open the box - the number is on the inside flap so you had to open the box to find out - for a change it was not me being daft and not seeing things.
Now for the funny bit - the models are not just any old samurai but all faithfully depicted from a film I have seen recently - The 47 Ronin .
If you are sitting comfortably I will tell you the story - if not interested OR you are going to watch the film -- skip to the photos.  In 1701 Lord Asano was ordered to commit suicide because he had attacked Kira in the Shogans palace, you could not even draw your sword let alone attack somebody in that place. Kira had told Asano "porky pies" to make him look stupid in front of the Shogan,  orders are orders so Lord Asano committed suicide,  this made his samurai into lowly RONIN    ( fighting men with no Lord to serve). Kira thought the ronin would attack him for what he had done so surrounded himself with lots of guards and protection, but they waited and waited and waited and after a year attacked Kira and cut off his head, placing it on their late Lord Asanos grave, as a mark of respect. Not a happy ending - even thou the Shogan respected and admired the ronin for what they had done - he ordered them to also commit suicide, orders are orders, so they all did, but knew they had fulfilled their role as samurai and avenged their Lords death.

First 2 photos show the box art and the next 2 the first figure with eyes and a first coat of paint on the face. Next some shading on the face and block colour in the uniform. Will bring it next meeting so Howard can show me what I have done wrong with the face
MSea

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: The 47 Ronin
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 01:48:26 PM »
Scale?
I think I may have some, somewhere?
Grumpy by name and nature

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 01:52:09 PM »
 EUREKA! I have found them, 1/35 I believe, here are mine, sorry for hi- jacking your post.

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 03:35:41 PM »
EUREKA! I have found them, 1/35 I believe, here are mine, sorry for hi- jacking your post.

No problem - I have 4 and you have 12 - the story of my life --hohoho
MSea

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 08:11:23 PM »
Main blocks of colour added next the patterns.
MSea

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 08:42:05 PM »
Because its me - will I just place the samurai on a block of wood - not a chance, so a start made on some castle gates to fit into a wall - why do things easy when you can make more work and trouble for yourself ??????
MSea

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 09:26:17 PM »
Some more work done on the doors and a coat of stain now added, next job is to make some door furniture - handles/hinges/etc
MSea

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 09:37:49 PM »
Aaaah So, young Msea-san,

Glad to see you are trying something different, 1/35 figures indeed. Like the little story about 47 Ronin, seems our club is much the same, but who should be executed remains a divisive question.......?
Love the facial expression on the figure, it looks like he is full of wind, and about to explode, is that intentional, ha, ha.

Remember Msea-san, Ki-ban is the answer to good modelling, Ki-ban.............

Emperor Kevin-ko, the Mercilesser
I hope my next is always better

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 09:47:56 PM »
"Oyasumi nasai"  "shisho"  -- Emperor Kevin-ko the mercilesser
MSea

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 09:19:26 AM »
Speechless, absolutely speechless.
Haddock.

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 10:57:50 AM »
Do you remember Shogun on the telly, also a book.

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 02:14:35 PM »
Do you remember Shogun on the telly, also a book.

Yes never read the book but enjoyed the TV
MSea

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 02:15:22 PM »
I'm not trying to hijack your post but I have just undercoated mine - its really your fault, you reminded me that I had some of these - Sorry!

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 02:16:27 PM »
Speechless, absolutely speechless.
Haddock.

Is that by my fluent Japanese ( from the internet ) or because of the bad modelling ??????????????
MSea

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2018, 02:19:46 PM »
I'm not trying to hijack your post but I have just undercoated mine - its really your fault, you reminded me that I had some of these - Sorry!

Glad to have you onboard - bet yours are better than mine in the end !!! but hey-ho its only a hobby for FUN.
MSea