Author Topic: HC.2 Wessex (Rotary Wing Aircraft)  (Read 1127 times)

Pen-Pusher

HC.2 Wessex (Rotary Wing Aircraft)
« on: April 06, 2018, 10:07:32 AM »
The Westland Wessex was a British turbine-powered version of the Sikorsky S-58 "Choctaw", developed under license by Westland Aircraft (later Westland Helicopters), initially for the Royal Navy, and later for the Royal Air Force. All these 'rotary-wing' aircraft were built at Westland's factory at Yeovil in Somerset.

Initially, an American-built Sikorsky HSS-1 was shipped to Westland in 1956 to act as a pattern aircraft. It was subsequently re-engined with a Napier Gazelle turboshaft engine, and first flew in that configuration on the 17 May 1957.

The first Westland-built Wessex XL727, a Wessex HAS.1 first flew on 20 June 1958, and this entered anti-submarine duties in 1961 with the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm. The Royal Navy's subsequent anti-submarine examples (HAS Mk.1, HAS Mk.3) also used the Gazelle engine.

The design was adapted in the early 1960's for the RAF, and later Royal Marines as a general-purpose helicopter capable of troop-carrying, air ambulance and ground support roles. In contrast with the HAS.1, it used twin Bristol Siddeley Gnome engines. These marks (HC.2, HCC.4, HU.5) had a revised air-scoop and single large exhausts on each side of the nose, the Gazelle-powered examples having a pair of smaller exhausts on either side.

My experience on Wessex helicopters was during my time in Aden being 'detached' from Shackleton duties for a period of seven months due to scheduled third-line servicing.

A 'Wessex 'build' has been on the cards for some time but the obstacles faced in re-engineering existing 1/72nd HU.5 kits to HC.2 standard were daunting... until now!

bridlufc

Re: HC.2 Wessex (Rotary Wing Aircraft)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 11:16:44 AM »
Very intriguing penpusher. I hope all will be revealed!!

Bridlufc

Pen-Pusher

Re: HC.2 Wessex (Rotary Wing Aircraft)
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 11:17:49 AM »
What I hope to do is replicate some of the cable-tracks visible inside the main cabin. The 'tabs' left where I have cut the ties will be removed in situ. (Oh yes, this is going to be boring I promise!)