Author Topic: Airfix Seafire in 1/72 scale?  (Read 2905 times)

Pen-Pusher

Airfix Seafire in 1/72 scale?
« on: February 22, 2018, 11:48:24 AM »
Not sure if Airfix ever issued a 1/72 Seafire apart from this being included in the 'Club Edition'? The basic Spitfire V is an older moulding; but Airfix included a completely new wing and those bit you need to convert it to a Seafire (Photo #2)

A new air scoop for the nose gives you the option to do a Seafire Mk IIc but the main task is to replace the lower fuselage behind the wing with the arresting hook assembly (See parts in the lower right and left-hand corner of photo #2). This to me is another Airfix first to my memory, in that I can't remember where they demanded 'surgery' to one of their kits before?

Pen-Pusher

Re: Airfix Seafire in 1/72 scale?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 11:57:02 AM »
Going forward with the Airfix 1/72 Seafire... First job is to remove the chin on both sides of the fuselage (Photo #1) to allow for the larger filter fitted to the Mk.IIc. With this removed, I've taped the fuselage together to measure the area for the arrestor hook before cutting the ends of the section to the required depth (Photo #2) I can then attempt to removing each section individually before lining up properly and allow one side to set, in the (once more) taped fuselage (Photo #3)... hope you're following all this?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 12:00:28 PM »
Fuselage now complete with a little filling required around the nose. (I've left the cockpit 'removable' to allow painting later). For wings replacing the kit's original and I have fitted the larger blisters as seen on the Mk.IIc

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 04:46:21 PM »
Main assemblies come together quite nicely. The larger air filter intake required some filling but with that done it's all looking quite good. Once I have the wheels on I'll decide as to a position for the arrestor hook?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 09:36:53 AM »
First couple of coats of Vallejo paint applied and quite pleasing results. I'm having some difficulty finding photographs of the catapult spools (hooks) that were fitted to the undersides. Can anyone advise or assist?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 05:35:27 PM »
Most Seafires employed a quite drab appearance and only a few sported the rear fuselage band shown here circa 1942. (Usually, those delivered in standard RAF camouflage). This particular Mk.IIc was originally delivered with the tropical style filter but later photos show it was retrofitted to the standard configuration.

Model is coming on nicely and once the upper surface is varnished I'll finish off the underside and other details.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 07:43:52 PM »
Hi Pen-Pusher,
That is a very nice looking Seafire.
Look forward to seeing it up close.
Cheers,
Bigkev

I hope my next is always better

Pen-Pusher