Author Topic: This year's late Resolution.  (Read 3122 times)

Pen-Pusher

This year's late Resolution.
« on: February 12, 2018, 05:51:39 PM »
The Resolution class of submarine was the category for four nuclear ballistic missile submarines (SSBN) built for the Royal Navy as part of the UK Polaris programme. Each submarine was armed with up to 16 UGM-27 Polaris A-3 nuclear missiles. Two pairs of these boats were ordered in May 1963 from Vickers Shipbuilding Ltd, Barrow in Furness and Cammell Laird and Co. Ltd, Birkenhead. The option of buying a fifth unit, HMS Ramillies was cancelled. Traditional battleship names were used, signifying that they were the new capital ships of their time.

The Resolution's design was based on the well-proven Valiant class fleet submarines and construction was unusual in that the bow and stern were constructed separately before being mated with the American-designed missile compartment. Each submarine was 130 metres (430 ft), breadth 10.1 metres (33 ft), height 9 metres (30 ft) and the displacement 8,400 long tons (8,500 t) submerged and 7,600 long tons (7,700 t) surfaced. A Rolls-Royce pressurised water reactor (PWR1) and English Electric Company turbines gave them a speed of 25 knots (46 km/h) and they could dive to depths of 275 metres (902 ft). Sixteen Polaris A3 missiles were carried, in two rows of eight. For emergencies there was a diesel generator and six 533-millimetre (21 in) torpedo tubes located at the bow, firing the Tigerfish wire-guided homing torpedoes. These submarines put to sea with a crew of 143-147 crew.

Most kits of nuclear submarines – especially those carrying ballistic missiles have featured American vessels and only two manufacturers have featured British boats. Bronco introduced their excellent kit of the Vanguard class (Trident) a few years ago and now MikroMir have released their kit of the first generation, HMS Resolution from the class which bears her name. Unlike most, MikroMir kit’s hull is made up of three large components and split vertically as opposed to the usual horizontal. As with submarine kits in general there isn’t an overwhelming number of parts – thirty one in this case and that includes the three part stand. Only one PE part is included for the propeller and the plans are the exploded view type - not my favourite!
Parts are clean and free from flash. The biggest task is removing the two main hull sides from their sprue and then removing the tags (some peculiar moulding design there?) and I suspect there will be some filling required on the upper deck…we’ll see?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 06:00:04 PM by Pen-Pusher »

Pen-Pusher

Re: This year's late Resolution.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 10:35:02 PM »
It's good to be working on another nuclear sub. As suspected, the three major components that make up the entire hull for the MikroMir 'HMS Resolution' do require some hefty lugs removed from their sprue 'legacy'. However, once that is done the parts go together very nicely (no locating pins) and the dry-run fit of the missile comb in place above the pressure hull looks encouraging. There is a fair amount of delicate detail atop the comb where the missile tube hatches are and on the bow where the sonar cover is. Also, remembering that this 'combing' was not water-tight (photo #3), you need to avoid making it a seamless join from fore to aft. The photo of her actual launch shows this detail quite clearly aft of the sail.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 03:27:06 PM »
A nice touch on the MikroMir model of HMS Resolution is the option to 'fold' the forward diving planes...?

Contrary to expectation, this kit has required NO filling!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 10:18:13 AM »
HMS Resolution continues with some delicate work to ensure a clean fit for the 'folded' forward diving planes... not sure my arthritic fingers are up to this nowadays?

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 07:58:43 PM »
Hi Pen-Pusher,
It looked really good at club night, the fit looked really neat.
I too struggle with the smaller parts sometimes.
Sometimes its the eyes that won't focus or the fingers will not manipulate those small bits.
Is it called getting Old?
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 09:23:24 AM »
Thanks BigKev... I'm in good company then? Kit-wise it's lovely to build and is one I've wanted to add for some time. It also gives me a chance to try a new surfacer/primer from Scale75 which has excellent reports.

With 'Resolution' (middle) structurally complete, I thought you might be interested in a scale comparison between a WWII U-boat, Resolution and today's Vanguard (un-built so shown without sail) trident missile sub!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 07:18:00 PM »
British submarines are not renown (no pun intended) for their attractive paint schemes. In fact, against their American and Russian counterparts, they are quite bland, to say the least? HMS Resolution is a perfect example of this low-key approach with only white depth markings on the nose, forward section and rudder.

I've also decided to complete the painting of the hull and deck before tackling the periscope arrays as at least now I have something to hold on to?

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 08:13:22 PM »
Hi Pen-Pusher,
I think some subtle panels and lines will be needed on this model.
Black can be so 'lifeless' if left 'Black'
Sure you will 'raise to the challenge' ..................................Blow all tanks's!!!
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 08:28:59 PM »
Hopefully looking a little less pristine, HMS Resolution..? This is before her final refit when draft markings were changed to red - as they have been on all UK subs since. (Thanks to Stuart Clark RN for help).

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 07:19:01 AM »
Well done, arthritic fingers and all.
Grumpy by name and nature

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 08:19:29 AM »
Nice looking model. By now there must be quite a collection of subs, all in the same scale.
Haddock.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 03:12:12 PM »
There you are then. Most of my current 1/350 sub-fleet. (Two are missing, a Kilo class and HMS Ambush which are on 'loan' at this moment in time). Anyway, can you name each class?

Roger

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 09:19:46 PM »
Is one of them a U-boat class?

Roger

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 09:32:12 PM »
First one is a U-VIIC (Revell kit)