Author Topic: Advent A-3 Skywarrior  (Read 4504 times)

bridlufc

Advent A-3 Skywarrior
« on: January 22, 2018, 11:05:30 AM »
Never heard of this company before but there is reference to Revell in the instructions. It's a basic kit, not many parts, raised panel lines and a bit of filling and sanding. It can be posed with the wings and tail open or folded.

Bridlufc
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:45:57 AM by bridlufc »

bridlufc

Re: Advent A-3 Skywarrior
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 11:45:11 AM »
Also, there is no reference to scale on the box or in the instructions but I am pretty sure its 1/72.

Bridlufc

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 01:10:14 PM »
Keep it vague.
Grumpy by name and nature

meremodeller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 09:34:09 AM »
Just to add a bit more detail: A 1/84th scale kit of the 'A3D Skywarrior' H241 was added to the range in 1957. It had folding wing tips and fin was then in moulded pale blue plastic. I have attached a copy of the original artwork, by Leynnwood, which I suppose emphasised the folding wing aspects of the kit.

bridlufc

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 01:26:50 PM »
Thanks for that meremodeller, it could well be 1/84 scale. I have the trumpeter one in 1/48 yet to build, I will do a bit of comparing.

Bridlufc

meremodeller

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 05:08:03 PM »
Further to the art work for the Skywarrior here is the kit box. The later boxing which shows a remarkable similarity to the Advent Boxing!

bridlufc

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 05:28:32 PM »
Primed with Alclad grey primer microfiller

Bridlufc
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 05:41:56 PM by bridlufc »

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 07:02:12 PM »
Hi Bridlufc,
How do you get on with The Alclad Grey Primer Micro-filler?
I prefer Halfords Acrylic Grey Primer, but that's my own preference.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

bridlufc

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 10:41:13 PM »
Sorry Bigkev, I've only just noticed your post. I find Alclad grey primer micro filler sprays fine. I haven't tried Halfords primer but I've heard good reports about it. I have been using grey primer from spray cans but sometimes it can be a bit harsh, but I must admit that when I flush my airbrush afterwards I use cellulose thinners and pour the contents back into the thinned primer. The problem with this is eventually I end up with more thinners than primer so I have to decant more primer into the mix.

Bridlufc

bridlufc

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 10:49:54 PM »
Now and again there comes a moment of madness. I decided to use gloss white from a spray can decanted into my airbrush for the underneath.  To my horror, as I sprayed there appeared what I can only describe as white gossamer thread billowing around my spray booth and attaching itself to any surface it could.  All I can do is let the paint dry and hope there isn't much damage. I will probably have to sand down and start again.

Bridlufc

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 08:18:23 AM »
Oops!!
Haddock.

bridlufc

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 08:53:41 PM »
All was not lost, a quick whizz over with a 4000 grit polishing cloth and I was able to re-spray with trusty Vallejo model colour off white.

Bridlufc

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 07:35:20 AM »
All was not lost, a quick whizz over with a 4000 grit polishing cloth and I was able to re-spray with trusty Vallejo model colour off white.

Bridlufc
The joys of modelling, it is never as easy as you think, something usually goes wrong, I prefer it to happen earlier rather than later.
Grumpy by name and nature

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 08:34:57 AM »
A new product on the market should interest those encountering consistency problems when airbrushing. This is available from most good model shops (if you can find them) and online stores and saves more on money and time. With care, airbrush primers and paints can be used directly (no further thinning required) by building up several thin coats until you have the finish you desire. Now what's it called? Oh yes...... a brush!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 08:50:44 AM »
Returning to the themed model. The Revel A3 Skywarrior is 1/84 and is a direct copy of the Lindberg kit of the same name. For a while many believed this was another mould-share between the two companies (as happened quite frequently in the late 50's and 60's) but it does seem to bear all the hallmarks of an original Revell. The Lindberg kit disappeared from the shelves around the time the company was first taken over (1964 ish ?) but the Revell kit has appeared in various guises (and differing qualities of plastic) since it was first dropped from their catalogue in the 1980's. It has since appeared at least twice in a further Revell boxing - with box-art simulating the original. Despite its 'odd' scale (which looks okay alongside the Chance Vought Cutlass, F8U-1 Crusader and several others of that sizing) it makes up to be a nice representation of a very important a/c in the American forces.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 08:52:42 AM by Pen-Pusher »