Author Topic: Bryza 1R  (Read 8905 times)

Roger

Re: Bryza 1R
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 08:55:07 PM »
Glad you asked BK,
There are decent tabs on the wings so I am trying with just that.

However after assembling one wing, i snapped the joint apart when I was a little rough with it.  I had just used Tamiya Extra Thin brushed on, and when I looked at the join the solvent hadn't penetrated far into the joint.  I reglued it using Revell Contacta in the "mortice and tenon" bit, and following up with Extra thin brushed on.  This seems to have made a really strong joint, and I have done this on the other wing joins.  We will see how this stands up while finishing the model.

Of course I could have tried CA glue, but this is a bit brittle and I wanted the resilience of a solvent "welded" join.

Sorry about rambling on!
Roger

bridlufc

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 10:25:17 PM »
I have the same problem Roger, when there is a nice tight fit of joints I go with extra thin cement but as you say, extra thin doesn't always penetrate to create a strong weld of plastic, trial and error I'm afraid. 

Bridlufc

Roger

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 10:21:45 AM »
Main construction now completed, adding a few details before preparing for paint.

Stiffeners on the radome were added from stretched sprue - I think they need a quick rub down to be less prominent.

Bomb racks were added under the wheel sponsons, whittled from plasticard.

Finally a bonus photo of the humber bridge - how does that reflection occur?  Must be stealth technology on the bridge!

Cheers
Roger

Roger

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 05:49:13 PM »
Slow progress as I've been playing with the new puppy.

Airframe primed and corrected - however once I sprayed the leading edges with Alclad I found some more remedial work was required.  So they have been sanded and repainted.

While this was going on I whittled the props down further.  The kit ones can best be described as blanks from which you can carve your own propellor blades!  However after just a few minutes work they look acceptable, and are now primed.

Later,
Roger

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2018, 07:48:33 PM »
Hi Roger,
Now young man, that is some very nice work on the props.
This will be a model to admire when complete.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Roger

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2018, 05:03:33 PM »
My favourite bit - taking the masking off.  I'm pleased to say no touch ups were required this time.  Just the radome to go in the morning.
Quite pleased with the trompe l'oeuil effect for the slotted tailplanes, first time I have tried that.

More soon,
Roger

Roger

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 07:57:35 PM »
Walkway lines added.  Decals are provided in the kit, but I thought this was easier than potential problems with getting rid of any silvering!

Roger

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2018, 07:59:12 PM »
Oops - photos attached this time.

Roger

Roger

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2018, 05:27:28 PM »
The first picture shows the decals going on.  They were very thin but went on without problems, and the colours look pretty good.  Note the big blue 60 on the tail - this restricts the versions that can be built to the one with RAF roundels.  For the 2004 season when polish national markings replaced the roundels, the rest of the tail markings remained the same but the big blue 60 was removed (as it was no longer the 60th anniversary of the Battle of the Atlantic).

The second picture shows the state of play today - all recalled, watercolour wash in the panel lines, matt coat and transparencies unmasked.

Just the fiddly bits to do now.

Bye for now,
Roger

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 05:50:40 PM »
Looking very nice.
Grumpy by name and nature

Roger

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2018, 07:01:24 PM »
Thanks Zak
Angela, my wife, said it looked nice too, and she rarely comments on such matters!

Cheers
Roger

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2018, 08:05:26 PM »
Hi Roger,
Yes, that is a very nice model of an unusual subject.
Followed this build with interest, so thankyou for the informative build.
What's next I wonder............./
Cheers,
Bigkev

bridlufc

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2018, 09:04:26 PM »
Hi Roger, you have done an excellent job on this, looking forward to the next project.

Regards Bridlufc

Roger

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2018, 05:51:07 PM »
Bit more work to do on this one first, aerials, props and undercarriage.  At my rate of progress I'll be lucky to have it on display at Cosford on the 8th April.
Thanks for the encouragement though, it really helps!
Roger

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 08:06:58 PM »
Hi Roger,
I am sure it will be finished soon, its better to be a bit late than spoil it through rushing it.
Nose to the grindstone Roger....................
I'm sure it will look brilliant once fully finished and having the Roger effect applied.
Cheers,
Bigkev