Author Topic: F8 Crusader 'Buddy-Build'  (Read 4594 times)

Pen-Pusher

F8 Crusader 'Buddy-Build'
« on: November 26, 2017, 11:42:29 AM »
So my modelling friends Lee Hayward, Roger Clark, Adam Slater and me are going to buddy-build a 1/72 F8 Crusader using three different kits. I've opted for the Heller (259), Lee for the Hasegawa and Roger, the Esci Adam has chose the F8's little brother, the SLUF (but we'll let him off). Despite being a USN enthusiast when it comes to models, the F8 has never rocked my boat as they say compared to it's little brother the A7. Anyway, on with the build - or at least the preparation while those other two get their act together?

The Heller plastic is always nice to the touch and that's no exception here. The kit despite its age is well moulded and quite well detailed with both raised and engraved panel lines. There are 62 parts shown (Photo #1) on the exploded (Photo #2) instruction sheet (not my favourite format) and a decent enough decal sheet (Photo #3) for two USN and one French Navy option. Nicely included are a couple of Matra anti-shipping missiles for the Gallic modeller.

The largest one piece moulding is the wing as a complete item? But there is still plenty to work on with some potential for internal detail.

Okay, that's a start. I'll cover my build as I go, probably as comments to this post... Who know, my 'buddy-builders' might even put their own words up for your consideration...?

Pen-Pusher

Re: F8 Crusader 'Buddy-Build'
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 11:43:41 AM »
Have started with the interior (where else?) where the cockpit sits atop the roof of the intake ducting. The fwd wheel well is included just aft of the bulkhead. I made the mistake of trying to fit the instrument panel directly into the fuselage half but found it really needs to be attached to the cockpit bucket beforehand. (Blame the instructions). Fit so far is very precise and little room for error.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 11:45:05 AM »
Quite a bit of attention needed before joining the fuselage halves. Air-intake ducting needs a good coat of gloss white (all versions) and the cockpit some detailing. Suspecting this may turn out to be a tail-sitter, I've raided the blue-tack pack.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 11:47:27 AM »
Okay, so I discover after six or seven satisfactory dry-runs that the nose section has a slight warp but nothing that can't ( and isn't) fixed. I'll remove the head-up moulding on the cockpit and replace with some better representation...(?) I also think I'll end up raising the air brakes as they lie quite low?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 11:49:09 AM »
I've made the decision to do the French Naval version and added the larger tail planes. These were retrofitted on all USN a/c's later anyway.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 11:50:49 AM »
Wait 'till you have to paint the bl***y thing. I'll need to take out a loan for more grey paint. This is four thin coats of Vallejo and still going?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 11:53:55 AM »
A quick 'peek' at Lee's Hasegawa (Dry-fit) and Roger's ESCI build progress....?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 11:19:13 PM »
My submission to our 'buddy build' is progressing following a short rest period. There is a little 'tidy-up' work to do around the wheel bays due to the sharp contrast between the dark sea grey and white before I progress to some decals. Meanwhile (photos #2 and #3) Lee has gone for the folded-wing approach... a daring move with some intricate cutting around the fold area....

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 02:19:16 PM »
Decalled and cockpit interior finished but not fitted yet. Awaiting some more decals before finishing!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 08:54:08 PM »
Decals courtesy of JoS members Alan J Gale and Roger Clark have enabled me to finally finish this F8N Crusader. My thanks to you both and I hope I have done your generosity justice?

A note on the aircraft. Only two F8's in French service bore sharkmouths during their career. I was under the impression there were more but this isn't the case. One however #35 was also resplendently painted for the final flight of the F8 and that may be a future project.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 05:57:10 AM »
Looks very smart!
Well done.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Roger

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 02:33:06 PM »
Yes, very nice that one.
Roger

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 03:31:45 AM »
Thanks people. A couple of days later Lee Hayward finished his Hasegawa model in typical USN markings. Lee 'cut' the wings to allow them to be folded. A nice touch. We now await Roger and Adam's models to complete our 'buddy build'...

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 12:35:04 PM »
Good looking models.
Grumpy by name and nature