Author Topic: Another of my Dads ships  (Read 9025 times)

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
Another of my Dads ships
« on: October 20, 2017, 04:44:50 PM »
In the stash in the loft I have a trawler and it is on the list to do as one of my dads ships (he fished out of Hull after the war)
Neil gave me another trawler and I decided to do a model of one ship in the water about to go fishing and the other a rusty hulk ashore in the mud. It could be a Hull fishing industry now and then type of model - you know I never just make a model out of the box.
Thank you Neil as you can see from the instructions lots and lots of parts -- PROBLEM -- only bits in the bag are the 2 sections of the hull and 3 deck parts. As she will be rusty and covered in tarps and general rubbish, decided to bodge the bridge and cover with tarps and scratch build the other bits and bobs. Being a "Good Yorkshire Man" i have used the key cards from hotels ( read somewhere that if they have your credit card details on them it can be used after you have left - so always take them with me now) to make the sections for the bridge. Funnel is a brass tube squashed in the vice to make an oval shape.
MSea

MSea

• View Profile
Re: Another of my Dads ships
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 09:22:44 AM »
Some tarps and general rubbish added to the deck. Next job a coat of primer and some rust and colour then lots more rubbish to add.
MSea

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 02:05:50 PM »
Some rust added to the ship, when dry a coat of dark brown paint.
MSea

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 03:15:19 PM »
Just been in the loft and the other trawler ( sorry Neil but this one does look like a trawler )is the Revell one and the hull is now fastened together. Now to look up my dads ships and decide which one it will be made into.
MSea

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 04:38:12 PM »
The mud flat has now been started, and a hole cut into this for the trawler to be fitted into. The second photo shows the ship in place -- she will have some more mud in front of her and will have wet areas around the hull and rivulets of water running down to the sea. Now  back to rusting up the ship and still have the mast and other things to make.
MSea

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 08:39:01 AM »
Last night Neil was asking about how I made the hole for the ship in the "Kingspan". Many many many years ago somebody gave me the tool in the first photo (this was when Queen Victoria had just take the throne and Zak was  only 270 years old), I think it was supposed to be for carving wood. Found it in the bottom of a tool box and thought it might do the job of carving the Kingspan - worked a treat.
Never having used Kingspan before used a full face mask, as not sure how toxic it is and how fine the dust would be -- any body any ideas on this subject ??????
Just thought Zak is back today from Aus -- not only is he in the national magazines as "Mr Grumpy", I have told you all that he is 319 years old, I think I shall keep a very very very low profile at the next meeting.
MSea

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 07:27:59 PM »
Please Sir!

I think it was me who asked you how you made the hole in the Kingspan..................
Too much coffee last night Msea?
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 08:44:26 AM »
Last night Neil was asking about how I made the hole for the ship in the "Kingspan". Many many many years ago somebody gave me the tool in the first photo (this was when Queen Victoria had just take the throne and Zak was  only 270 years old), I think it was supposed to be for carving wood. Found it in the bottom of a tool box and thought it might do the job of carving the Kingspan - worked a treat.
Never having used Kingspan before used a full face mask, as not sure how toxic it is and how fine the dust would be -- any body any ideas on this subject ??????
Just thought Zak is back today from Aus -- not only is he in the national magazines as "Mr Grumpy", I have told you all that he is 319 years old, I think I shall keep a very very very low profile at the next meeting.
I seem to be getting a lot of stick - remember revenge will be sweet.
Grumpy by name and nature

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 04:10:06 PM »
An old and decrepit jetty made to go on the mud flats. Then a couple of masts made and fitted, next job is to add the standing rigging.
Then add some clear and shredded plastic to the rigging, so it looks like the stuff you see on the roadside bushes, well that's the plan at the moment.
MSea

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 08:15:37 PM »
You know, when you said 'an old and decrepit jetty' I half expected to see you in the picture........

You know which bit I meant, the 'an old and decrepit' description.

Oooops! I've done it now..............

Tin hat now suitably donned, expecting fall out from above observation/comment.
Cheers,
Bigkev

« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 08:19:36 PM by Bigkev »

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 03:41:57 PM »
You don't have to worry Kev -- I am a reformed character and would not even consider revenge OR MAKE ANOTHER CARTOON OF YOU.
And if you believe the load of old rubbish above -- you must be going soft in the head  - just you wait !!!!!!
MSea

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 11:42:42 AM »
The trawler stuck in the mud has had a little more work done on her, and she is now fitted in place. Just for the fun and enjoyment the second trawler has had her below water line parts removed.
So busy busy busy and NO TIME to make cartoons BUT you are in the book for later Kevin.
MSea

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 07:47:09 PM »
Hi Msea,
It's looking really, really nice.........
Not enough grovelling to avoid the 'Wrath of the Cartoon' I expect.
In some respects it might be good you've been too busy to do any repayment cartoon's, as I am having to cut short the next meeting due to work.
No doubt I will get the 'FULL' treatment in due course! When I can fully appreciate it...........or not!
Cheers,
Bigkev

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 12:25:00 PM »
The ladders to go from one deck to the one above are just lines in the plastic (black marker to make them stand out)
They have been removed and some 3D ones made from brass rod soldered together, if I did this again I think I would make the cross bars smaller size rod.
MSea

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 06:43:59 PM »
Hi Msea,
Another great example of your modelling skills, I like the Kingspan base for the derelict Trawler especially and you know why.
Your imagination holds no bounds................................unfortunately in some cases (cartoons)!!!
Cheers,
Bigkev