Author Topic: The EA-6A 'Wild Weasel' in 1/72  (Read 6751 times)

Pen-Pusher

The EA-6A 'Wild Weasel' in 1/72
« on: August 13, 2017, 01:52:18 PM »
The 'Wild Weasel' concept was born out of the need to deflect or neutralize homing radar signals for Soviet built SAM's during the Vietnam conflict. Several airborne platforms were adapted for this role during and after that conflict including the F.105, F.4, A.7 and of course the A.6 Intruder. The EA-6A was eclipsed by it's big-brother 'Prowler' with an additional cockpit to house a total of 4 crew. Nevertheless, Italeri's 1/72 kit (051) has long been a favourite with 'Wild Weasellers' - myself included. This 86 part kit is criply moulded in light grey plastic and still available from both Revell and Italeri - and I think from at least one Eastern European manufacturer?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 02:12:55 PM by Pen-Pusher »

Pen-Pusher

Re: The EA-6A 'Wild Weasel' in 1/72
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 01:54:22 PM »
With all the 'options' available, folded wings, open cockpit, access steps down, airbrakes open etc., I wonder if it's overdoing it to have so many displayed on a single model? In real life scenarios I guess it might vary depending what is happening at that particular moment. Should I perhaps only have the barest gap showing for the later two or not?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 01:58:09 PM »
So, after slapping a bit of detail in the cockpit, I've managed to get the fuselage halves to meet up without too much drama. I've put the seats in 'dry' for effect. Nicely, the engine intakes allow you to view a couple of neat fans - like wise with the exhausts. I do suspect this model will need a fair bit of weight in the nose? The seats are particularly good and save the expense of aftermarket ones... though I might be tempted to replace the bang-handles with thread or wire.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 01:59:27 PM »
Build going well. Wings mated to fuselage. Fit is tight so you have to be careful in getting it right first time.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 02:04:28 PM »
With a 'heavily weighted nose' and tailplanes fitted, the whole thing is beginning to come alive. I found a minor issue where the trailing edge meets the engine cowling at the rear but again that more due to my building than the kit. Three part underside panels are also fitted. These are almost perfect and what little gaps there are can be easily remedied.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 02:07:40 PM »
Undercarriage fitted and (phew) enough lead in the nose. i found a couple of small 'dimples on the spine, hence the sprue-goo showing - but later realised these would have been concealed by one of the small radomes that will eventually go there.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 02:12:24 PM »
So my first problem - and it's a finicky one! Someone on the Joy of Sprue page mentioned the support struts for the folded wings are too long and I suspect they are right. If i use them as if, the wings tips will be a distance apart whereas from all the photos I can find, they should lie about 2 feet distant? I'm struggling to work out by how much these will need to be shortened and how to find an extra pair of hands to hold everything in place?

To be continued after the nervous breakdown....
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 02:14:53 PM by Pen-Pusher »

bridlufc

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 10:17:40 PM »
Is Joy of Sprue a website? I've tried looking on line but nothing is coming up.

Bridlufc

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 08:32:51 AM »
Emailed you on that.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 08:37:37 AM »
Have now sussed that the support rods for the wing-fold differed along the way. Some land based (Marine) a/c had a later, updated wing-fold which looked quite different. New composite metal sections on the wings made them lighter and it is quite easy to see these differences when sat next to each other. Nevertheless, I have to remove 4mm from the kit ones.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 09:32:39 PM »
The troublesome matter of the length of supports used to hold the EA-6A's folded wings in place and the resultant angle - is now partly resolved. According to Grumman the original braces held the wings at 47% from the vertical but this was reduced with a revised design which saw the brace moved from the wing-root to a mid point along the flap-line and slightly towards the wing mid section. This was again revised for the land based a/c and saw a shortened brace return to the wing root and the angle of the folded wing greatly increased. EA-6A, EA-6B and A-6E employed this until the end of their respective careers. Photo #1 & #2 show the original arrangement. Photos #3 & #4 the final design (Selected for the model).

PS. tape is temporary...!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 09:33:58 PM »
Photos #3 & #4

Roger

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 10:10:28 AM »
Neat, good info on the angles of the folded wings.

Roger

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 11:44:34 AM »
... aim to please!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 05:35:11 PM »
A couple of very thin coats of Vallejo (70-990 and 70-992) give you the impression of what this low-viz scheme on my EA-6A will look like at some point in the future.... hopefully