Author Topic: HMS LORD NELSON in 1:350  (Read 15482 times)

Haddock

• View Profile
HMS LORD NELSON in 1:350
« on: July 26, 2017, 09:44:39 AM »
                Next project folks. Got this at North Shields from Mike at Starling Models. £55.00. Sounds a lot but everything is in the box to produce the model without resorting to any aftermarket stuff.
                There are eleven sprues of light grey plastic and four etched brass frets plus some chain and a small sheet of transfers. If you weren't bothered about adding any rigging (brass masts), it's all there.
                I've made a tentative start whilst waiting for the sea to dry on Danton but no photo's as yet. When I get the chance, I'll post some shots of the progress to date.
Haddock.

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
Re: HMS LORD NELSON in 1:350
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 10:49:11 AM »
That's an interesting looking thingy.  Definitely not for beginners looking at all the sticky-outy bits on the box art.

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 10:54:12 AM »
Just looking at the box - you should be OK it says 14+ - HoHoHo.
Was she the last pre dreadnought built about 1905.
MSea

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 11:52:23 AM »
What period are you doing her - 1908 as built - 1915 Dardanelles - 1919 picking up Russian dukes etc from Black Sea.
Will look to see if I have any relevant photos or info in my books.
Looking forward to seeing this ship under construction.
MSea

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 12:36:07 PM »
Just looking at the box - you should be OK it says 14+ - HoHoHo.
Was she the last pre dreadnought built about 1905.
That could mean "decades".
And yes, made obsolete, by HMS Dreadnought.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 12:46:03 PM by Haddock »

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 12:43:58 PM »
What period are you doing her - 1908 as built - 1915 Dardanelles - 1919 picking up Russian dukes etc from Black Sea.
Will look to see if I have any relevant photos or info in my books.
Looking forward to seeing this ship under construction.
          Any reference material would be most welcome, it's very sparse on t'internet. I think it's more or less "as built", but can't be sure.
          By the look of some of the parts, Hobby-boss could be intending to release another version at a later date, or perhaps a sister ship,    Agamemnon?
Haddock.

Kiteman

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 01:42:06 PM »
Looks interesting enough, a bit different to other ships I have seen. Lots to do with this one, but shouldn`t be a problem for the master!

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 02:34:53 PM »
Getting out of bed on a morning is a problem for me, never mind building a model!!

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 03:04:31 PM »
          Some progress has been made.
            First thing to do is the water-lining process. Done. I've removed the bottom half of the kit spacers (the grey ones) and fitted some more just above the cut (the white ones). The grey ones aren't fixed yet. The plan is to paint the hull and the deck separately and then fit the deck. I want to re-create a weathered looking wooden deck, if I get it wrong first time I don't want to have to strip the whole model.
            Then comes the Admirals walk, very nicely etched, unfortunately, the shape of the canopy hasn't been developed so when you try to get it to drop down from the edge of the deck, it won't, it does now but only with lots of bending rolling, twisting and filing. It should come flush with the deck but any more metal-bashing and I would have run out of brass so this is the best effort, should be OK under a coat of paint.
             Now to the superstructure. the "additions" are to stiffen up the boat deck, it's less than 1mm thick, and to improve the fit and look of the deck, I'm not sure Hobby-boss have got it right. There was a gap that a sailor could have fallen down on a dark and stormy night.
            Finally, what it may look like when stuck together.
Haddock.

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 03:35:44 PM »
SOME progress?  That's a whole 6 months' modelling for me!  Looking very smart is that.

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 04:44:25 PM »
Don't forget, I don't have to go out and work for a living and I have a very understanding wife!

And I started a few days ago.

Haddock.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 05:52:40 PM »
Don't forget, I don't have to go out and work for a living and I have a very understanding wife!

And I started a few days ago.

Haddock.
Are both of those true?
Excellent work Tony, especially the Admirals Walk.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 09:13:48 PM »
Hi Haddock,
Another masterpiece in the making for sure.
All that work in a few days..................!
I think my modelling work rate will have to increase to warp speed to just keep up.
Lovely stuff though from " The Master "
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 10:18:14 AM »
Bit more progress folks.
                     Anti torpedo net shelf fitted to one side.
              The first pic is an attempt to demonstrate the method.
                   The second is the result.
                 The next two are general shots of the finishes article. The whole shelf is made up of four sections and quite a nice fit though not perfect, and it's probably expecting too much for it to be so, we are supposed to be modellers aren't we? HB say the shelf should sit 0.6mm below the edge of the deck, I felt 1.0mm (scale14") looked better.

Here's the method, easier to do than to describe.
          The model sits as you see it. The square tube has a piece of 1.0mm thick styrene glued on the end, with the brass sat on the pad, that should give the 1.0mm drop. 
           Tack the brass with PVA at a couple of places where it touches the plastic. (it may need persuading, hence the ruler). when the tacks have got a reasonable hold, run some Johnsons between the tack and allow to dry. Then tack each end, one at a time, allow to get hold, then repeat the Johnsons bit, allow to dry.
You should now be able to pick up the model and examine the result, if happy, run thin super-glue around the joint. If you don't like what you see, you can remove the brass before applying the superglue and start again, hopefully, no harm done.
               By now, you've earned a cuppa and a fag.
            Now go back and repeat another three time till the job is done.
                     Note that PVA (Gator grip thin blend) takes probably 20 mins to dry clear but maybe six hours to reach full strength and Johnsons needs about 30 mins to set so it's not a quick process. Thin super-glue is of course almost instant. The Johnsons does seem to encourage the super-glue to run along the joint.
             There will be variations on this but, hopefully, you get the idea.
Haddock.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 10:20:35 AM by Haddock »

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 05:37:32 PM »
Hi Haddock,
That explanation is worth a few thousand words!, and the pictures do show what you mean. Wether my fingers can be agile enough is another matter.
For me, starting to tackle of few submarines for now and using etch more and more, those little explanations move my modelling forward.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better