Author Topic: Canberra down South  (Read 6767 times)

Pen-Pusher

Canberra down South
« on: July 03, 2017, 08:47:13 AM »
Briefly then, the Argentine Air Force received a dozen Canberra aircraft from Britain, ten B62 bombers and two T64 trainers replacing the Avro Lincoln. The last of the Canberra bombers was retired in April 2000. From 1 May to 14 June 1982, Argentine Canberras made 54 sorties; 36 of them bombing missions, of which 22 were at night against ground troops.Two aircraft were lost in combat, the first to a Sea Harrier's AIM-9L Sidewinder air-to-air missile on 1 May 1982 and on 13 June 1982, a second Canberra Mk.62 of Grupo de Bombardeo 2, B-108 was shot down at 12,000 m (39,000 ft) when it was struck by a Sea Dart missile fired from HMS Cardiff. The pilot ejected safely but the navigator was killed. It was the last Argentine aircraft to be lost in combat during the Falklands War.

I'm using the old Airfix kit to represent one of the surviving aircraft but will be enhancing the model (at great expense) with both flaps and undercarriage inserts from Czech Master. Meanwhile, I've made a cautious start...

Haddock

• View Profile
Re: Canberra down South
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 11:26:24 AM »
Blow the expense, get stuck in!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 01:33:57 PM »
Most FAA Canberra were fitted with Martin Baker Mk.2 and Mk.4 bang-seats so the kit version (Mk.1) needs a bit of work. Some blu-tac gives me the basis for a headrest to start with. I'll refine this later before applying a hard varnish and some handles/tags etc. (Luckily, only one of the three seats is visible even with the hatch open)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 04:43:11 PM by Pen-Pusher »

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 07:15:32 PM »
Like most British built aircraft of it's day, the Canberra interior was painted almost completely black and only some careful highlighting will reveal anything of interest...

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 07:18:41 PM »
...viewing anything through the access door requires reducing the thickness of the plastic around the opening to more resemble the real thing (You can see where I've started and the original plastic thickness at the top right corner in the photo).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 07:20:27 PM by Pen-Pusher »

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 08:59:22 PM »
Hi Pen-Pusher,
Like this build, keep on with the thinning of the door. It will pay off though it is a bit of work to get it right.
Perseverance is the name of the game, and I'm sure you will win through.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 07:23:22 PM »
I've added a bit of detail to my FAA Canberra cockpit. Throttle controls made from a piece of balsa wood (left hand side of cockpit) and control stick (kit) already installed. The unpainted panel added to the right is the instrument lighting panel and is yet to be detailed. The scratched-away paint in the centre is to allow the glue to set when I put the bang-seat in!!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 04:28:34 PM »
'Bits' arrived today... now the fun begins!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 08:08:26 PM »
Hi Pen-Pusher,
You're a glutton for punishment aren't you?
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 08:39:17 PM »
Some might say that Big Kev - I couldn't possibly comment! But back to the cockpit. No detail yet on the lighting panel but at least the modified Mk.2 seat fits... note the burgeoning 'grab handles'...!

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 12:34:18 PM »
Well done that man.  I've yet to dabble with resin aftermarket bits although I do have a couple for future projects.  I like the work you're putting into this one.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 10:02:23 PM »
Six or seven months have gone bye  but now I'm back on with this one!!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 08:47:05 AM »
Progressing. Major components went together like a dream. Hats off to Airfix for moulding the lugs on tail planes and wings at the right angles. Made life so much easier and so far (fingers crossed) no filling required!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 12:52:06 PM »
Last view of the 'weathered' interior (never saw a pristine one in my life) before I put the pilot's seat in.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2018, 03:10:10 PM »
Coming along nicely.
Grumpy by name and nature