Author Topic: Airfix B17G  (Read 11763 times)

Roger

Airfix B17G
« on: June 21, 2017, 03:03:49 PM »
So, here we go again.  I thought I would make a start on the repetitive bits while enthusiasm is high (and also to give me time to do some research), so I have painted the props and engine components.  The prop shape was good but they were very thick.  Scraping and sanding each one soon sorted that.  The engines look pretty much like Wright Cyclones.  The detail is slightly flat but the mouldings include push rods and ignition wires - and even the clips between each pair of wires.  Painted up and inside a cowling they look very effective though.
Various shades of AlcladII, Tamiya and Citadel paints used.
Happy modelling,
Roger

Roger

Re: Airfix B17G
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 04:53:55 PM »
Little bit more done. I have also found a suitable colour scheme.  I like the ones in the kit but want to do something a bit different.  I was tempted by the Bassingbourn option though as I used to live there (not while they had B17s, they were replaced by Canberras by then).

Kiteman

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 06:09:53 PM »
Looking smart Roger.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 08:59:53 PM »
Hi Roger,
Patience of a saint, with all those props and engines, detailed and decaled, looks like its going to be a detailed build again.....................surprise, surprise!
Cheers,
Bigkev 
I hope my next is always better

Roger

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 05:39:07 PM »
Thanks Chaps for the encouragement. I think this one will be mostly straight from the box again, as it seems pretty complete as it is.  But we will see as we go on of course!
Just gluing things together today.  The intercooler intakes on the front of the wing and a couple of tiny joints in the wheel bays needed a little filling.  I used superglue and talc, mixed into a "runny paste" consistency. This was hit with a drop of accelerator, filed smooth, all done in 5 minutes.  The insides of the wing and the wheel bays need a coat of paint tomorrow then they can be closed up.
If this rain keeps up the job will soon be finished!!
Cheers for now,
Roger

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 09:18:12 AM »
Looking nice already.
Haddock.

Kiteman

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 09:41:00 AM »
I agree with Haddock.

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 09:24:19 AM »
I've always like the B17 so I'll be following this closely.  Also useful if the corrugated cardboard stand for the props!  This would be handy for all sorts of little fiddly bits so I'm going to fabricate one too I think!  Far more practical than a blob of "blu tac" - especially if you live in Germany like Kiteman where they have no such thing.  AND I also like the superglue and talc tip for filling.  I've been using Squadron green putty mixed with Revell Liquid poly to an appropriate consistency which can be brushed into the smallest area and it dries very hard.  Not as quick as your method though Roger.

Roger

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 09:19:14 AM »
I thought it was time for a quick update on this one.  All is going fine, the fuselage is together and I am working on fitting all of the transparencies.  I am doing this before any sanding or filling to ensure as little dust as possible gets into the fuselage.
Once this is done assembly of the previously completed sections should ensure rapid progress.
Unfortunately I don't have any pretty photos at present due to phone problems - they are in there but I can't get them out at present!  Once this is possible I'll update you again.
Hope you are all busy modelling, it's been pretty quiet on here of late!
Cheers
Roger

Roger

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 03:18:24 PM »
Finally got a workaround on the IT issues, so here are a few photos as an update.

Roger

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 02:56:04 PM »
Hi Roger,
That looks really nice work. Is it mainly as per kit?
I can see a few seat belts added, but is the rest more or less per kit?
Like the various colours throughout, all adding a bit of interest.
Will chat to you at Southwell or Telford about this build.
Keep doing what your doing, it looks really nice so far.
It can only get better...........
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Roger

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 05:34:50 PM »
Hi BigKev,
There are lots of little details added, the biggest changes are to make it into a pathfinder.  In the pic you can see the radar navigator's position.  After that the rest of the detail on the radar bin itself went in, together with some oxygen bottles, and after joining together the fuselage halves, the gun sights at the front and rear positions. A strap "seat" and collector bags for the top turret, and that's us up to date.
The only "wrong" bit that needed correcting was in the bomb bay.  There is nice open girder work represented in the wing roots, which is probably what you see on an aircraft without wings. However when the wings are fitted, if you look up into the bomb bay there is sheet metal behind the girders (i.e. you can't see into the wings).  I suspect this could be a fuel tank?  Anyway it was a straightforward task to draw around the inside of the hole onto thin plasticard, cut it out and paint it silver, and stick it in before the wings go on.
Liking the look of the model, seems to have a good shape to it, IMHO.
Cheers,
R

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 08:41:20 AM »
Shame a lot of that lovely detail will be covered up.
Haddock.

Kiteman

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 10:38:06 AM »
another lovely piece of work roger.

Roger

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 05:52:16 PM »
Thanks Chaps, more soon.  Hopefully I have only got the detail where it will be seen, the glazing is very clear - we'll have to wait and see!