Author Topic: Airfix B17G  (Read 11586 times)

Roger

Re: Airfix B17G
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2017, 07:24:56 PM »
Thanks to all who have commented above for the encouragement.

A quiet weekend as my brother was visiting, but the paintwork is now finished - time to make it shiny with Klear next.

Hope you have all been busy modelling this weekend!
Roger

bridlufc

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2017, 08:17:43 PM »
Cracking job Roger

Bridlufc

Roger

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2017, 09:24:02 AM »
Thanks Bridlufc.

Decals now on and glossed with Klear.  I used Kits World for the codes and serials, sliced and diced to get the correct style of letters for this particular aircraft.  They are thin but easy to use and settled into all of the detail.  I used the kit national markings and stencils.  To be honest I should have used aftermarket national markings as the kit ones are a bit thick, and I have plenty in the spares box, but the kit ones are on now and will do.
Next weathering.  There are some very noticeable oil leaks to replicate, so a bit of experimentation will be required to get this right.
Happy modelling,
Roger

Roger

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2017, 04:37:46 PM »
And here is what I will be experimenting on.  I assembled these a few years ago (a Fujimi P-51 and a Monogram Fw190, both 1/48) and use them occasionally for trying things out on.  I have glossed the P-51 and will use this to practice on before moving on to the B-17.
Actually it was top fun assembling these old kits, it only took an hour each.  I should do more of that!
Cheers for now,
Roger

Roger

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2017, 01:22:22 PM »
Oil stains now added to the top wing.  These were copied from the photo I have of this B-17.

B-17s threw a lot of oil at altitude, due I suppose to worn rings and valve guides on a supercharged air cooled engine.  American radial engines always seem to leak, and on the B-17 most of the oil came out of a breather at the top, though they leaked everywhere to a degree.

The exhausts were under the wings so that is where the exhaust staining goes.  Note that on the top of the wings the oil ran between the vents at the back of the wing, leaving the area behind the vent clear, rather than staining it with oil.

Plenty more weathering to go, but for now this will have to be left to dry for a few days.

Bye for now,
Roger

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2017, 07:45:39 PM »
Hi Roger,
Nice detail on the staining and exhaust streaks, it really is coming together well.
Keep at it.....
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Roger

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2017, 04:36:30 PM »
Still making progress on this one.  The pictures show a little extra detail added to the top turret, and the inside of the new front hatch.
Enjoy,
Roger

Roger

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2017, 05:27:17 PM »
Underneath now finished.  Nearly there now!
Roger

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2017, 05:50:17 PM »
It is coming on a treat Roger - are we the only people doing any modelling?
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2017, 05:55:03 PM »
Hi,
Well when I'm not working, I have done a little bit more on my Soviet Sub, now has aerials fitted.
But for you retired, or few hour types then you have more opportunity I guess.
Hoping to start another project this holiday.
But that apart, this is a lovely looking B-17G Roger. Will you be placing it on a base/diorama setting?
Cheers,
Bigkev 
I hope my next is always better

Roger

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2017, 09:17:11 PM »
It does seem we are the only ones still going, but I guess people have a lot on at this time of year.

I have thought about extending the build into a diorama - still thinking about it.  Is the USAAF bomber support set by Airfix any good?

Roger

bridlufc

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2017, 10:03:23 PM »
I am still building but although I have downloaded Faststone photo resizer I can only post one photo at a time for some reason which is really frustrating when I see you guys posting several photos at once, i must be doing something wrong.

Bridlufc

OLVAR

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2017, 04:17:17 AM »
A wounderfull build and Model!

Roger

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2017, 04:44:19 PM »
Thanks Olvar.
I bought a nice little hand vice at Telford, which you can see in the photo, together with the pitot tube I have just whittled up from a bit of bent brass. It is gentle enough for plastic too - I used it on the MB5 to shape the ends of the tiny cannon stubs.  A thoroughly recommended tool, and only £10.

The other photo is of the big aerial (VHF?) that sits on top of the nose on late B17Gs.  I thinned it down until I was happy with the thickness, but it was missing the dipoles at the front.  It was too thin to drill through, so I made a saw cut underneath half way through, lay a length of 0.2mm nickel silver in place, then back filled with superglue.

BFN,
Roger

Roger

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2017, 02:37:36 PM »
Finally finished, and it fits in the display cabinet!
I'm dedicating this one to my Dad.
Thanks for following, and Merry Christmas to you all,

Roger