Author Topic: DANTON in 1:350  (Read 10580 times)

Haddock

• View Profile
DANTON in 1:350
« on: May 19, 2017, 10:32:59 AM »
      Next project folks. I picked this up at Telford last year for £40, RRP is £ 50, nice to get a bargain.

I started this about three weeks ago so I have made some progress, when I get chance I'll post some pics.

Hobby-boss aren't known for their ship kits but this is very nicely done, if you weren't bothered about adding rigging, everything is there to build a really nice model straight out of the box.

The plastic parts are on 14 sprues (I haven't counted the parts, but there's lots) there are 3 brass frets and a length of chain plus a small transfer sheet and a base.
      The model comes as a full hull version so, in my case needs to have some lumps hacked off. They've made extensive us of slide-moulding technology. Some of the surface detail is rendered in brass.
     The instructions are clear and easy to interpret, they are in the same style as Trumpeter.
            There's a nice painting guide (which I never trust) in fact this looks very much like a Trumpeter kit in another box (which it ain't).
              If this is what Hobby-boss do with pre-dreadnoughts, roll on the next one.
Haddock.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: DANTON in 1:350
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 10:39:00 AM »
I remember you buying it.
I look forward to your build.
Grumpy by name and nature

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 02:10:15 PM »
Another string to follow - what will I learn on this one - I expect lots as usual.
MSea

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 03:48:34 PM »
Off we go then chaps.
           Hull stuck together and water-lined, stiffeners added and a socket for the main-mast (which will be brass) in place.
          Then decks added. These could have been shimmed up to meet the edge of the hull but I decided to trim the hull edges to meet.
          Some of the main superstructure in place with bits and pieces added at main deck level.
            Note the gussets around the bridge section and the pillars supporting the after island. (sixteen of the flippin' things).
           All this lot is just dry-fitted. After doing this a few times I should be able to clap my hands and it will jump together!
           Just a word about the decks. No wood decks. the foredeck was left steel, painted with non-slip paint, the rest were covered with linoleum, glued down then the edges held down by metal strips, probably brass. These are represented on the kit by very fine panel lines. I've thought long and hard about how to re-create the effect but haven't come up with a solution as yet although it could be just a case of paint, scrape then some tinted varnish, we'll see.
          The final shot is the quarter-deck of one of her sister-ships which shows what I'm getting at.

What the two blokes in the hatchway on the left of the picture are up to is anybody's guess, but they are French y'know.
Haddock.

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 05:58:29 PM »
Oh la la!

Kiteman

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 06:58:59 PM »
I`m allready impressed. Viva le Haddock!

bridlufc

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 10:18:16 PM »
I just wish I had the time

Bridlufc

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 09:14:24 AM »
I just wish I had the time

Bridlufc

Sorry Bridlufc its not the time its the skill -- I have the time but just look at my models next to Haddocks - not even 10% as good.
MSea

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 07:59:13 PM »
Magnafique! Haddock

Bigkev

I hope my next is always better

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 07:00:33 AM »
Magnafique! Haddock

Bigkev
Behave you lot - Brexit looms, stick to good old Anglo-Saxon.

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 08:33:28 AM »
Magnafique! Haddock

Bigkev
Behave you lot - Brexit looms, stick to good old Anglo-Saxon.
I agree with Zack, stick to what we understand. The only French I remember from my school days is " je frappe le garcon" (me).
'addock.

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 01:59:54 PM »
Few more bits and bobs that will need painting and sticking in place.

Ships boats. Nicely moulded but all needed the gunnels thinning down and re-shaping to look a bit more realistic.

Boat cranes, the brass rails around the platform don't sit on the platform but around the edges, bit awkward, hope the rest aren't like this.

Guns, again, nicely moulded. the smallest can be fitted at a later date by working inside the hull, one of the advantages of water-lining. Less chance of getting broken off by my ham-fistedness.

Funnels, consisting of four plastic parts and four brass parts, when finished. It's worth mentioning that with five funnels, there will be 4x5=20 funnel stays, each one needing an attachment point at each end, that's 40 attachment points. Phew!

Haddock.

Kiteman

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 05:35:42 PM »
The joys of sub assemblies!

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 03:18:34 PM »
                            I'm still here, I haven't left the country.
                  Here's a few shots to show progress to date. The gun turrets aren't stuck in place but everything else is, except the brass rod which is simply there to stop me flattening the railings atop the deckhouse.
                The linoleum decks are my best effort to show the brass retaining strips, they were 40mm wide by 3mm thick. I know they don't look like brass, but neither does brass when exposed to sea-water so it's going to have to do.
               Up to now, I'm impressed with the etched brass, much respect to Hobby-Boss, just needs a lot of TLC.
         The funnel stays were a bit of a marathon, but they're all on.
      No suggestions yet as to what the two sailors were up to on the photo of the quarter-deck, the one that shows the brass strips to good effect?
 Haddock.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 03:21:37 PM by Haddock »

Kiteman

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 04:00:03 PM »
Your builds are always so clean and precise.