Author Topic: Lead Wire  (Read 2262 times)

Roger

Lead Wire
« on: March 10, 2017, 08:29:00 AM »
At our meeting on Wednesday I was asked what I mean by "lead wire" when adding detail to my builds.

Pic 1 shows the lead wire that I use (plus several other sizes!).  This is really good for representing electrical cables when painted a suitable colour.  It is also good for representing flexible pipework like engine bay hoses, brake lines etc as it is very soft and curves naturally.  The "braided" aeroquip hoses on the Bronco engine were made from lead wire rolled under a file to give it a surface texture - this also works if you need to represent a wire hawser or steel cable (for example a torpedo release strop under a Beaufighter).

Pic 2 shows my source of copper wire.  This is useful when I need a stiffer, stronger material.  This works well for metal brake pipes (rather than the flexible rubber hoses), ejection seat pull handles, eyes for mounting rigging wires etc.

Finally pic 3 shows my supply of lead foil.  Rather than having to drink lots of wine, I am fortunate enough to have a brother in law who works with an electron microscope (he is an Archaeologist). He uses this stuff for shielding things and provided me with this supply. This stuff is very useful - seat belts obviously, but so much else too.  When folded up and compacted it will even be a nose weight, though in the picture you can also see some roofing lead which is great for this - I asked the builder for a piece last time the chimney flashing was replaced and have a piece in the garage about 30cm by 15cm.

Hope this information is of use.

Cheers for now,
Roger

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
Re: Lead Wire
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 08:44:10 AM »
Hey Roger, very many thanks and very kind of you to follow up our chat with this excellent information.  I have previously attempted some very limited detailing with fuse wire but besides being expensive for what it is (though I don't know yet how it compares to the lead wire) it is limited in it's sizes and doesn't seem to 'conform' very well.  I imagine the lead is a lot softer and easier to shape to the contours.  I look forward to trying some out on a suitable project.

Roger

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 01:46:20 PM »
No problem, I think you'll like using it!

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 03:22:00 PM »
Hey Roger, very many thanks and very kind of you to follow up our chat with this excellent information.  I have previously attempted some very limited detailing with fuse wire but besides being expensive for what it is (though I don't know yet how it compares to the lead wire) it is limited in it's sizes and doesn't seem to 'conform' very well.  I imagine the lead is a lot softer and easier to shape to the contours.  I look forward to trying some out on a suitable project.
I you look very carefully at Roger's pictures of the lead wire, you may notice that the packs are labelled
£2.50. You get quite a lot. Hope this helps.
Haddock.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 03:27:11 PM by Haddock »