Author Topic: STURM TIGER  (Read 3504 times)

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
STURM TIGER
« on: March 14, 2017, 10:34:36 AM »
Morning all,

I thought I'd share a few pics of the Sturm Tiger in various stages of painting - camouflage on, glossed and oil wash sloshed on, cleaned off and matt varnish applied - I brought in to the last meeting as part of the 1/144 tank trio.  If you recall, it was finished in just the undercoat of dark brown.  I finished it last night after applying a coat of light sand then the brown and green camouflage splodges.  I applied these with my .2mm nozzle no name airbrush (I have a similar .3mm brush for general work and I picked these up quite cheaply just to get the hang of airbrushing.  I used Tamiya acrylics thinned with isopropyl alcohol about 50/50.  I find this covers very well and due to the IPA evaporating quickly, the paint dries in no time.  it was the first time I'd done anything as intricate as this and thought maybe I overdid the camouflage colours at first but the end result looks good enough to me.  I have now decided to invest in a better quality airbrush and compressor.

After that it was a coat or 2 of Johnsons then some weathering with oil paints thinned with white spirit - sloshed on and then the excess removed with a barely damp brush and bit of tissue - working at this scale, it's easy to overdo things and take it ALL off but I was very pleased with the results.

Finally a coat of matt varnish completed it.

I have a few more kits from this range of Dragon Panzer Korps vehicles so there will be more to follow soon.  For the benefit of those not at the meeting last week, they are very well moulded, the kits themselves consist of about 7 parts plus some etched brass for the engine grills.  Assembly is therefore a doddle - just a tiny bit of seam lines to remove - but the real skill is in the painting and finishing.  Again, I'm pleased with what I managed here so things can hopefully only get better.

PS, the choice of background for the pics of the finished article was a pure coincidence so I hope you can see how effective the camouflage is against my kitchen worktop - indeed I hope you can see the model!!!  This is the place to hide if the Russians decide to come over!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:36:42 AM by Wizzel »

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: STURM TIGER
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 11:11:50 AM »
Nice worktop, tank is ok as well.
Grumpy by name and nature

Haddock

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 01:51:31 PM »
Nice little thingy that is.
Haddock.

Roger

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 08:47:12 PM »
Good airbrush work.

Roger

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 08:06:52 AM »
Good airbrush work.

Roger

Thanks Roger.  A compliment indeed.  It's my first bit of delicate work so I'm by no means an expert but it's motivated me to upgrade  :)

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 09:46:06 AM »
I do like it!! I can't remember the last time i did a tank but this gives me an itch!!

Haddock

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 11:34:34 AM »
Good airbrush work.

Roger

Thanks Roger.  A compliment indeed.  It's my first bit of delicate work so I'm by no means an expert but it's motivated me to upgrade  :)
No need to upgrade yet, just practice with what you've got. It will get better.
Haddock.

Kiteman

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 05:06:16 PM »
Nice work Wizzel. Looks very good to me.

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 08:30:22 AM »
Good airbrush work.

Roger

No need to upgrade yet, just practice with what you've got. It will get better.
Haddock.

Understood Haddock.  Please amend that to "think about upgrading in the future".

And for that read "when I have persuaded DCOS to stop spending all my money on (CENSORED BY MODERATOR) so I can afford to upgrade"

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 03:46:58 PM »
Beat me to it Wizzel!!

Bigkev
I hope my next is always better