Author Topic: Eagle Eyed #2  (Read 5235 times)

Pen-Pusher

Eagle Eyed #2
« on: February 27, 2017, 10:50:22 PM »
Readers will be relieved I am not going to prequel this short inclusion with an in depth history of the F.15 Eagle. Suffice to say, with the development history of this aircraft almost as well documented as its more recent exploits in the Middle East and Gulf conflicts, it would be easier to list those model companies who have not included this aircraft in all its guises and most scales at some point or other since the original kit appeared (as Big Kev correctly stated elsewhere) in early 1975 from the Hasegawa stable.

The fist development TF.15 later corrected to F.15B was widely used as a demonstrator to potential customers and as a proving platform for many trial and modifications programmes and of course, the now famous F.15 Strike Eagle. Usually seen painted in McDD’s air superiority blue it is nonetheless best remembered by many, myself included, for that striking red/white/blue bi-centennial scheme carried throughout 1976.

Hasegawa’s kit was deemed by most reviewers to be of superlative quality at the time of issue, this despite some extremely difficult fit problems with the large wing sections. First appearing as the F.15A, the upper fuselage section was quickly supplemented with a new two-seat configured one complete with new cockpit, additional seat and bulged canopy. Both single and two-seat versions were subsequently issued as the C, D and E (Strike Eagle) with additional armaments being included at every turn. today's modeller taking one of these to the work bench may be surprised at the unforgiving nature of the hard, sometimes brittle plastic used.

With its faults in mind, this somewhat challenging build is worth the effort if you wish to builds an early incarnation of this aircraft. Indeed, the first model (now hard to find) even had the original squared-off wingtips! The only other manufacturer to include these was Monogram who even moulded their kit in a suitably impressive, if somewhat malleable blue plastic.

As you will see from the photos below, Hasegawa provided a full decal set for the cockpit, and even after only a couple of thin coats of paint, the familiar image of what was arguable the best fighter of its time begins to take shape.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:58:00 PM by Pen-Pusher »

Pen-Pusher

Re: Eagle Eyed #2
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 10:52:21 PM »

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 10:29:52 AM »
Adding undercarriage and some decals makes all the difference...

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 09:17:51 AM »
Masking an already (brush) painted area has always been a problem area for me. I fell into the trap of buying a cheaper masking tape from B***s some months ago and found it removed almost every bit of paint it was covering. Normally I use Tamiya tape where I can, or Maskol for those clear 'thingamibobs' - ah yes, canopies. Even with the better quality tape I try to reduce the adhesive quality by 'fingering' the sticky side first and then only pressing the working edge where needed. Even this is fraught with as much danger as the previous comments are to misinterpretation!! (Do airbrush aficionados have the same problems I wonder?) Kenny from Utah has promised to send me something called 'Maskrite' which he describes as a new product his company is trialing for the modelling market. This apparently is a thin adhesive strip which dissolves naturally after 30 minutes and can be wiped off with a damp cloth. (Be still my beating heart). Comments (in a brown paper email) or advice here would be welcome!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 01:22:35 PM »
A coat of Vallejo's 'oily steel' inside the exhaust cans before adding the P/E parts....

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 03:09:45 PM »
Ejector seat handles...

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 03:11:33 PM »
... and 'cans' interior.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 08:02:53 AM »
With the 'cans' now painted and the air brake fitted in the closed position, I have an almost blank canvas to start adding some further detail. Curiously, among those following this post, (Good morning to you both) no one has queried the national markings....? Ah well, all will be revealed in the fullness of time (should I and this particular model survive).

A word on the 'build'. Hasegawa's plastic in the 1970's was a product derived from an injection moulding process that seemed to leave a fair amount of 'surface oil' (which survived over the decades) perhaps as a result of some release agent in the manufacturing process. We are always reminded to wash sprue's of more recent kits from Airfix and others before assembly and I must admit it is something this modeller rarely does; but would now recommend it for anything 'vintage' you might decide to engage with. I brushed on Vallejo acrylics as usual and there was a definite 'reaction' to the plastic during a not-so-quick drying process. I mentioned earlier the 70's plastic is a much harder and less yielding type than more recent ones but I doubt if that was the problem? Anyway, to cut a long rambling tale short, after a quick wash with a drop of the present Mrs D's Fairy stuff and a hanging out to dry, painting resumed as normal and with no further issues. That concludes my cautionary word to the wise....!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 08:06:14 AM by Pen-Pusher »

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 08:10:54 AM »
I have found the same with older kits.
Grumpy by name and nature

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 10:57:54 AM »
Another problematic area of 70's era kits was the fit of many of Hasegawa's cockpits. There was a reason for this! For a period of three years a small injection moulding company Isutu in Japan was used by many of that country's model manufacturers to make all transparent items. These are easily identified as having a small  月in the corner of the sprue.

Fortunately, for this project the cockpit is found to have a near perfect fit with the overall appearance and profile pleasing...

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 11:03:04 AM »
Oh yes, the reason for the French marking is that this was a demonstrator aircraft and was painted in this scheme for a period of four days in April 1976 for a high level delegation visit from France. In the event as we are aware, the French decided not to buy the Eagle.

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 12:55:04 PM »
Interesting, that would make your model pretty unique.
Haddock.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 02:56:08 PM »
Cockpit (dry-run)