Author Topic: Fouga CM175 Zephyr  (Read 13703 times)

Roger

Re: Fouga CM175 Zephyr
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2017, 01:22:36 PM »
Finally some Zephyr progress.  The last bit of paintwork was the inside of the wheel wells.  Sometimes it is easier to do this last, to make the masking simple.  Just cover with tape, cut out the bit in the middle with a sharp knife and airbrush in the appropriate colour.
The last pic shows just how many undercarriage doors there are on two Zephyrs.

Happy modelling
Roger

Kiteman

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2017, 04:19:09 PM »
Thanks for the photos, they show me how to and not just "I have done". Great work

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2017, 12:48:26 PM »
Thanks for the photos, they show me how to and not just "I have done". Great work
Agreed - and that's what I like about our club and site.  No secrets!

Roger

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2017, 09:03:02 PM »
Now, one problem I've always suffered with is a lack of hands when applying decals to the side of aircraft - one to hold the aircraft, one to hold the decal in position, leaving a third hand needed to pull the backing paper out.
Anyway today the penny dropped.  I have plenty of Berna clamps which are great for holding things together, and one of those helping hands things for holding stuff in any position, so I thought why not combine the two - see picture for result.
I'm sure you all knew this was how to do it anyway, but thought I would share in case there is anyone else out there as slow as me!!!
Cheers from a happy modeller,
Roger

bridlufc

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2017, 10:29:33 PM »
I agree with you Roger, a modeller never has enough hands. That's a really good idea, I will give that one a try.  I tend to use ether foam packaging because it can be cut to any shape you want and can be glued with pva or even double sided tape to get the desired shape for holding a model for painting or applying transfers. Some modellers use lego blocks for the same purpose, although I've never tried them myself I would imagine lego blocks would be less forgiving than ether foam.  But would you have more fun building the lego blocks to the desired shape for your model or building your model?
Enjoying the build by the way.

Bridlufc

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2017, 06:22:37 AM »
Hi Roger,
That is a really clever way of holding the model.
I think I will be giving that one a go.
Also Bridlufc, I think your method of using foam is a good one too. I suppose its all about what your building, size, etc.
Again a method that I will try.
Thanks for the idea's gents.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Kiteman

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2017, 03:46:33 PM »
I use lego as a jig for mounting bi plane wings.

Roger

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2017, 05:02:57 PM »
I got the rest of the decals on in double quick time, and was easily able to move the model wherever I wanted it.  I ended up with one clamp on a wing and the other just lightly holding the tailbone for stability - see photo below.
I'll let you know if I have any more bright ideas!
Panel line wash next,
Toodle pip
Roger

Roger

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2017, 06:20:48 PM »
Slow progress, but only nine more bits to go on each one now.
Roger

Kiteman

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2017, 01:11:32 PM »
Keep at it, it`s worth it.

bridlufc

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2017, 10:07:04 PM »
Nice looking models Roger, I really should add one to my stash, if I haven't got enough already!!

Bridlufc

Roger

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2017, 11:15:26 PM »
Thanks, I would recommend this kit very much.

Roger

Roger

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2017, 02:38:18 PM »
Another rainy day, so I have finished the Zephyrs.  Last bits to add were the replacement arrestor hooks from shaped brass rod, and the twin pitots in front of the windscreen from 0.2 nickel silver.  I used the nickel silver as it is strong and the right colour, as painting would thicken it too much.

Hope you like them.  I've also included a shot with last years JP, although Angela points out they are a bit bright!  Sunglasses at the ready then.......

What to do for the rest of the day - time to dive into the stash.  I'll be back if I emerge.

I'll bring the Zephyrs to the next meeting that I can get to (not this week as I am working away on Wednesday).

So, what will be next?
Roger

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2017, 03:17:25 PM »
Nice looking models, well done that man.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2017, 03:31:31 PM »
Hi Roger,
I agree with Zak, very nice models they are....................

What will you treat us with next..........................?
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better