Author Topic: Before the Battle of Britain  (Read 19660 times)

Pen-Pusher

Re: Before the Battle of Britain
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2017, 03:20:27 PM »
We all have our 'processes' when it comes to painting and modelling. I prefer a leather thong and.... no, no, sorry - we're talking modelling aircraft aren't we! As a hairy-stick man I tend to do the main paintwork for the upper surfaces, enough to allow major decals added at least. After this is complete, I varnish and allow to dry so handling isn't a problem... or in my case a disaster waiting to happen? So it goes that my Hurricane Mk.1 has been prepared as above and now I am ready to tackle the Black/silver/White underside.... Joy oh joy!

Oh yes, I too converted from enamels to acrylics (Tamiya) some time ago but now find the Vallejo range more appealing. This particular Hurricane is painted with the Tamiya brand however...!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2017, 03:22:33 PM »
Oh, i know you're wondering why the aerial isn't painted. Simple, if it were it would be camouflaged and I'd not see it.... and it would invariably get broken!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2017, 06:48:41 PM »
For the underside - the two worst colours to work with - I'm using black and white 'primers' as a base before final painting. I've never done this before so the results should be 'interesting'...

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2017, 10:44:06 PM »
Not too bad...

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 02:34:36 PM »
Ready for duty...

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2017, 02:41:49 PM »
seems like quick builds, or is it my imagination?
Grumpy by name and nature

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2017, 02:42:52 PM »
That'll do nicely sir.  It's the metallic colours I don't like working with - especially the acrylics.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2017, 05:29:24 PM »
Thanks Wizzel and yes, Zak - a 'quick' weekend build but it's always easier when you've got a good kit!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2017, 09:11:08 AM »
Although a  technique of dive bombing existed during the First World War, there was no aircraft designed primarily for this purpose. The first known aircraft designed for the purpose of dive bombing was the Junkers K47 which was being developed during the mid 1920's, and which flew for the first time in March 1928. It is believed that of the fourteen built, two remained in Germany while twelve were sold the China. Continuing research showed that such aircraft would be an effective weapon when working in close support of ground forces. Advances would be far more effective if concentrated aerial bombardment could pave the way for mechanized troops and infantry and Germany made the decision to manufacture aircraft suited for this role. In 1933, Henschel developed the Hs123 while Junkers continued development of the K47.

Where the Hs123 was a biplane, the Ju87, developed from the K47 was a single engine monoplane that differed from all previous Junkers aircraft in that it did not have the corrugated ribbed metal stressed skin appearance. Looking very similar to the 'Stuka' of the 1940's, the prototype had a fixed undercarriage and the gull-wing appearance and was powered by a Rolls-Royce Kestrel power plant and made its first flight in May 1935. Full scale production of the aircraft commenced in 1937. The first variant was the Ju87A-1 and had dive brakes added to the outer wings, the kestrel engine was replaced by a Jumo 210Ca 640 horsepower engine which drove a variable pitch three bladed propellor, and a single tail fin replaced the twin fins of the original design. The Ju87A-1 and Ju87A-2 (The A-2 differed by having larger fairings over the landing gear and having a 680 hp Jumo 210Da engine) was delivered to StG163 which saw action with the legion Condor in Spain and the Gruppen proved very effective. By early 1939, all the A series were sent to training units and all the Stukageschwäder were equipped with the more powerful Ju87B series.

The Ju87B was powered by the Jumo 211A direct injection power plant that produced 1,200hp, had more streamlined spats over the landing gear, and was now equipped with an automatic dive control that was initially set by the pilot, allowing him to choose the pull out height using a contact altimeter. The whole procedure demanded the pilot to go through ten different actions in setting the apparatus before he finally opened up the dive brakes under the outer wings. This automatically commenced the dive action of the aircraft, the pilot adjusting the dive angle manually by indicator lines painted on the canopy of the aircraft. the correct line was achieved by aileron control which was usually at about 90 degrees, and the pilot visually seeing his target by the marker on the canopy. with the aircraft hurtling earthwards directly at the target, a signal light on the contact altimeter would then come on and the pilot would press the button on the top of his control column and the pull out would commence as the bombs left their cradles. The bombs would continue the same course as the aircraft had during its dive, towards the target while the pilot would be suffering some 6g as the aircraft levelled out ready for its climb skywards.

The accuracy of the bombing run was completely in the hands of the pilot. Its defence was two MG81 belt fed machine guns. The rear gunner operated a machine gun which was reasonably effective, but it was the slow top speed of the aircraft and the poor rate of climb that was to be the downfall of the Ju87. Over combat areas of Europe and in Spain, they managed to hold their own, but when the Battle of Britain finally commenced they were no match for the faster and more agile Hurricanes and Spitfires of the RAF. Whole Gruppen were being destroyed on missions over the English Channel forcing the Luftwaffe to withdraw them from operation duties during this period.
Several manufacturers produce almost every variant of ‘Stuka’ and in almost every scale. The first 1/72 kit (it was actually 1/76) was Lindberg with the ‘B’ version, quickly followed by Airfix. Both were available in the early 60’s and the subject has been a favourite for modellers since.
I’ve selected the latest offering from Revell as, though not a very new moulding, has some nice detail and appears quite accurate in some of the finer detail. The kit itself has also been issued by Tamiya and Italeri (still available) and through changes of cockpit sprue only is also available from the aforementioned companies and others as later variants.
My subject is moulded in 38 sand and clear plastic parts mounted on three (Generic) sprue with little or no flash. Instructions are clearly printed and simple to follow. Decals which again are sharp and well printed give the option for one European theatre and one Desert scheme.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2017, 09:13:36 AM »
Sprue shots...

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2017, 09:36:30 AM »
Channel 4 (when did we get more than 3 TV channels??) has a series running called Nazi Megastructures.  There's an episode about the blitzkrieg and the JU87 is featured.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2017, 09:44:30 AM »
Thanks for this. I'll switch on my set early as I do like to sit and watch the black and white test card for a while.

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2017, 11:28:59 AM »
I do worry about you guys sometimes.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2017, 04:38:44 PM »
You mustn't worry my friend. On ANY 'thread' I start, I WELCOME comments from EVERYONE (Even you and Wizzel) and on ANY subject they choose. Eventually, we do get back on the original theme but the journey is always courteous and even humorous in between. Variety is after all, the spice of modelling which brings me neatly to my most recent purchase...?

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2017, 05:06:26 PM »
Flippin' 'eck! always thought they were just two shades of green.
Haddock.