Author Topic: Before the Battle of Britain  (Read 19652 times)

Pen-Pusher

Re: The Battle of Britain
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 08:31:46 AM »
Upper surface camo complete and a very thinned coat of matt applied to allow handling?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 11:18:20 AM »
Maybe I should've masked this off first. My 'freehand' 'aint what it used to be....?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 11:40:36 AM »
Only the aerial wire to fit (a la Zak) and I'll call this finished...

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 04:37:35 PM »
Hawker’s Hurricane was the culmination of a series of capable metal biplane fighters evolved by the Hawker Aircraft Company throughout the 1920s. The Hurricane's fuselage shape and design borrowed much from the Hawker Fury biplane line and the Hurricane was known for a time as the ‘Fury Monoplane II’.

It is also perhaps best remembered for its role in the Battle of Britain during the summer of 1940. The Hurricane outnumbered the competing - and far more popular - Supermarine Spitfire by more than 2/1 in Fighter Command and proved its most valuable asset against hordes of incoming enemy aircraft. The Hurricane went on to account for more enemy aircraft destroyed in the battle than any other means - including the Spitfire and any ground based AA fire - such was its importance to Britain's defence. Where it sometimes lacked for speed, its tight turning circle and ability to absorb damage made it a formidable opponent. Beyond its wartime exploits, the Hurricane became the Royal Air Force's first monoplane fighter and the first capable of exceeding the 300 mile per hour barrier.

Frog Penguin issued the first 1/72 model of the Hurricane (a Mark II) and almost every modelling company since has added to the range and choice of this iconic aircraft in a plethora of scales. My favourite (as stated elsewhere) was the KeilKraft 1/72 version with 'retractable undercarriage’ – something not attempted since in this scale – but for the purposes of this Battle of Britain themed article, I will concentrate on the Airfix issue(s).

The most recent 1/72 version from the Airfix stable is a piece of artwork in itself! I find it cleanly moulded, devoid of any flash or dimples and the degree of detail is more than one would expect from a 1/48 or even 1/32 kit. With 63 parts and a three piece canopy (on this version) not to mention Airfix's new fully illustrated insructions - well, it promises an interesting build.

The original kit as issued as (A02067) a Mark.1 has alternative parts to enable the original two blade, wooden ‘Watts’ propeller to be fitted with the three blade ‘de Havilland’ one as an option. Sadly, as with the Airfix Mk.1 Spitfire, the re-boxing of this kit sees only the later included thus denying an equally important version to be available.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:39:22 PM by Pen-Pusher »

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 04:39:25 PM »
Propeller alternatives...

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 04:40:43 PM »
Section of detailed plans/instructions...

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 04:25:31 PM »
Like the previously built Spitfire Mk.1, Airfix's new moulding gives one plenty of work and prospect for some super detailing. One very difficult stage in the assembly is fixing part 56 (heating coil) which runs from the forward bulkhead in the undercarriage bay to the rear along the mid-section line. The instructions give this to be done AFTER the upper and lower wings are assembled. This is almost impossible without fine tweezers with part 56 in one hand and contact cement in other hand and a lot of luck somewhere in between!!!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 04:59:52 PM »
The complexity of the cockpit interior (still minus seat as you can see) which is assembled in both the fuselage and atop the wing - is a veritable joy of detail that would do credit to any larger scale model. (Don't worry, I've straightened the joy-stick).

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 07:22:31 PM »
The familiar aerodynamic fairing which encompasses the tail wheel is absent on the early Mk.1 giving an uncharacteristic 'flat look' to the rear fuselage. The fit of these parts is so good there is minimal need for sanding.

Pen-Pusher

Re: Before the Battle of Britain
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 09:56:49 AM »
I would add that unless you're a purist, having an open cockpit or doing a diorama of a crashed a/c, 90% of this interior is not seen - even with difficulty!! Parts E1, B6 and A2 have to be precise or the mating of the fuselage to the wing will damage the floor assembly (C6/8 and C11). I would suggest some less experienced among us may prefer to remove the lower framework of part A2, retaining only the instrument panel if you're doing a closed cockpit model. (See previous photos)

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2017, 10:00:14 AM »
Study your instructions CAREFULLY... as fitting the main wheel legs requires some delicate work, especially getting the extensions through the framework already assembled. Also, there are three places where you might think the extension may 'plug-in' to the forward bulkhead but in fact the centre one only is correct for the Mk.1 (but not for the Mk.1a where it should be the lower. My tip is check your fit gently beforehand...! As the plastic is quite soft, I may try leaving the upper forks of parts A5 and A6 unglued in future models to allow some freedom of movement in fitting the u/c legs.

Once complete the model sits well.

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2017, 12:31:28 PM »
I have this kit too so at some stage in the future when I am brave enough to build it, I shall refer back.  It's looking very nice so far anyway.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2017, 03:39:19 PM »
I certainly wouldn't like to put anyone off building this Wizzel, far from it. I think it's probably one of the best kits Airfix have re-issued in the past few years and is certainly packed full of detail if that's what you want.

Thanks also for the comment. I've just given it a first coast of flat earth (with dark green) as it's c.1938 but future, post November '39 ones will be the more popular dark earth / dark green to keep the pundits happy.

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2017, 12:45:42 PM »
I should have clarified - it is the Hurricane I have but I think you twigged that.  I've also started using Tamiya acrylics.  When brush painting I tend towards enamels but with acrylics, I prefer spraying them and mix mine with Isopropyl alcohol at a ratio of 50/50.  The IPA evaporates very quickly meaning the paint dries in no time.  I imagine I'll do the Hurricane this way when I get it built.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2017, 01:23:12 PM »
I should have clarified - it is the Hurricane I have but I think you twigged that.  I've also started using Tamiya acrylics.  When brush painting I tend towards enamels but with acrylics, I prefer spraying them and mix mine with Isopropyl alcohol at a ratio of 50/50.  The IPA evaporates very quickly meaning the paint dries in no time.  I imagine I'll do the Hurricane this way when I get it built.
Propan-2-ol?
Grumpy by name and nature