Author Topic: Revell Tu22 B Blinder  (Read 14996 times)

Roger

Re: Revell Tu22 B Blinder
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2017, 06:22:32 PM »
Looking forward to the big reveal - I think it is one of the best bits of modelling!

bridlufc

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2017, 09:10:58 PM »
The darker camouflage colour as been added.

bridlufc

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2017, 09:16:30 PM »
Now for the removal of masking, I am quite pleased with the result so far, just a bit of paint bleed on the engines and no doubt I will have a bit more touching up to do. I am impressed with the white tack as a masking aid.

Bridlufc

bridlufc

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2017, 10:26:00 PM »
As it is an oob build I have used the paint guide from the build instructions as a template mainly because it is my first try with white tack worms and masking. Gauging the thickness of the worms will probably make a difference to the 'hardness or softness' of the colour demarcation line, but that will come with practice and experience. Overall I think the technique I have used is quite easy to master, although it can be thought provoking and tedious, but there again some things in model making are!!!

Bridlufc

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2017, 10:50:20 PM »
Very nice looking forward to seeing it at the meeting.
MSea

bridlufc

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2017, 08:29:48 PM »
All the masking removed and as expected there is some paint bleed which has left a slight ridge as well, so out with the 3200 grit micro finishing cloth so I won't take too much paint off when sanding only to remove the ridge. Now do I re-mask where I need to or try and airbrush freehand?  Oh how I envy you hairy stick connoisseurs!!

bridlufc

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2017, 08:56:03 PM »
Whilst I was removing the masking, unbeknown to me,  one of the tail stabilisers the two halves didn't join very well with the adhesive, so I used some of the thick tube glue and a clamp. I forgot how unforgiving and brutal tube glue can be as I removed the clamp it left an impression of the clamp behind!!!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2017, 10:36:36 PM »
If you've ever been up close and personal with these aircraft you'll know they are host to many 'buckled and dented panels.... you're 'clamp indentation' is nothing!  Anyway, the whole thing is looking good! Hat's off!

bridlufc

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2017, 09:28:04 PM »
I seem to be bogged down with this project for one reason or another, airbrush issues being the main one.  Basically I changed the needle size on one of my airbrushes to a smaller one, with the intention of being able to do finer lines and better detail work, and hopefully freehand spraying without the need to mask, but alas the airbrush just didn't take to the change. I purchased some cheap needles and nozzles in keeping with the club mantra 'they were cheap', I only had to look at the needles and the tips bent!!  I have a four gang adaptor on my airline which allows me to run up to four airbrushes at a time. This adaptor also allows me to regulate the airflow to each individual airbrush when I need to and this has caused me problems because I didn't realise I didn't have enough air pressure coming through from the compressor. Being a stubborn old cuss I blamed everything barring myself, but through the process of trial and error, I think I am back on track.
So, to please the 'hairy stick aficionados'  I will be touching this one up with a brush, otherwise I will be at it forever if I relied on the 'trusty airbrush'.

Bridlufc
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 09:33:52 PM by bridlufc »

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2017, 09:42:39 PM »
I'm sure you will do the kit justice nonetheless and I look forward to seeing it at a meeting soon.  Remember, folk like you were producing award winning models long before air brushes became what they are today but I feel your pain.

Having just starting with airbrushing, I have 2 'no name' airbrushes one with a .3mm nozzle and one with a .2mm nozzle.  I have a similar 'no name' compressor and one hose so if I change air brushes I need to whip the hose off one and stick it on the other.  The whole lot was a reasonable price - good value as opposed to cheap (and there IS a difference).  In the short time I have been spraying, I have decided I DO want to become more proficient and so am going to invest in a decent rig with sufficient features.

"Club Mantra" aside, when dealing with stuff such as this, it's always worth asking yourself "can I afford to buy cheap tools"!

bridlufc

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2017, 10:38:26 PM »
Obviously not, Wizzel, thanks for the comment, a bit like gambling, you pay your money you take your chance. I have paid a pretty penny for a couple of my airbrushes but they don't seem to live up to the cheaper ones I possess, for some strange reason, all down to marketing I suppose.

Bridlufc

Kiteman

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2017, 05:10:23 PM »
Expensive doesn`t neccessarily mean good....be careful Wizzel.

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2017, 10:57:51 AM »
Expensive doesn`t neccessarily mean good....be careful Wizzel.

My comment was not a prompt to purchase expensive gear over cheap but more to try and avoid cheap against good value, though I concede it's sometimes it's hard to tell the difference until you've bought the stuff, used it and found it unsuitable.  With that in mind, it would be good to know which cheap needles to avoid so the rest of don't fall into the trap.  What say you bridlufc?

bridlufc

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2017, 11:34:51 AM »
Avoid buying anything regarding airbrush needles from the far east. They are cheap in bulk but nasty in nature, poorly packaged and the tips will probably be bent by the time they arrive which makes them totally unusable. Its a shame suppliers over here take advantage and charge inflated prices for these things mainly because of the brand names.

Bridlufc

bridlufc

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2017, 01:46:52 PM »
Camouflage finished now for the fiddly detail bits

Bridlufc