Author Topic: Airfix Japanese Zero - modelling potential.  (Read 12357 times)

Pen-Pusher

Re: Airfix Japanese Zero - modelling potential.
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 12:49:59 PM »
Following much the same procedure as for the rudder, the aileron poses its own problems. I've used thicker ribs but will file down when complete.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 12:52:58 PM »

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2017, 03:41:15 PM »
Structure wise and the damaged aileron added, I think this is almost there? I now need to work on the base... a somewhat more daunting task!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 09:01:37 PM »
Trying to replicate the surviving airframe where most of the original camouflage has disappeared due to the effects of time. Fabric covered areas are reduced to skeletal structures and the engine has fallen forward. the split cowling exposing the complex exhaust pipes ('t'other side, sorry) Unfortunately the flash on my camera gives it an unfortunate 'hue' but we progress undaunted..... I think?

bridlufc

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 11:36:52 PM »
It is an interesting subject depicting a model diorama with battle damage, most are usually modelled on photos of real situations on land and sea. It just shows what lengths modellers go to to be true to form and create a little more interest in the hobby as a whole. I often look at photos of certain situations and think 'wow' that would make a brilliant diorama, as I am sure most of you have thought at some point. The art though, is taking it to the next level, which we all aspire to.

Bridlufc

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 11:54:50 AM »
Indeed so, I am actually taking this from a photo of an actual 'wreck' and replicating as much as can be determined... but we'll see how it goes?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 02:39:40 PM »
Now progressing the base work. Depicting an aircraft that has lain at the bottom of the sea for many years and is now the natural repository for coral and barnacles isn't the easiest of jobs. Firstly, as any fellow sub-aqua enthusiasts (with a passion for rubber suits) among you will know, the colours even at relatively shallow depth are different. Predominately turquoise / blue it means simulating that on the base and will call for some creative painting as opposed to a gallon of liquid water or to a trip to some far flung coral atoll. As you can see the 'present' Mrs D's herb garden has already been plundered  and copious dying is in progress elsewhere. Painting will follow....?

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2017, 04:47:29 PM »
Hi Pen-Pusher,
That's beginning to look very nice. An undersea depictation eh, not what I was expecting.
I thought it might be a strafed/abandoned aircraft initially.
Look for to the finished article.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2017, 01:03:26 PM »
Very imaginative that is, what about a diver to give it some atmosphere.
Haddock.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:07:52 PM by Haddock »

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2017, 02:57:32 PM »
Hi Pen Pusher,
I agree with Haddock about some form of underwater explorer, but if you can't find a frogman, what about a swimsuit wearing pearl diver?
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2017, 07:47:38 AM »
Hi Pen Pusher,
I agree with Haddock about some form of underwater explorer, but if you can't find a frogman, what about a swimsuit wearing pearl diver?
Cheers,
Bigkev
I was thinking more on the lines of a bloke with a big brass helmet and lead boots!!
Haddock.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2017, 08:54:58 AM »
Oh, I've been through all these scenarios. First the plane was to be housed in a Ferrero Roche box with a liquid water top (tinted), rubber dingy with scuba-divers. (No 1/72 one's could I find). Then I thought of a midget sub coming alongside, so on and so forth....

Photo 1 shows the original base idea.

Photo 2 shows the encrustation build up.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2017, 08:56:59 AM »
Photo 2

PS. No good asking, the chocolates are all gone!!!

bridlufc

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2017, 10:16:43 PM »
How about SpongeBob? That would be something different.

Bridlufc

bridlufc

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2017, 10:33:05 PM »
Airfix did Commandos in 1/72 and I'm sure there were some crawling figures amongst them, couldn't you adapt those?

Bridlufc